Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089650 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4035 on: November 21, 2012, 09:04:07 am »

Joined Miller as Photomajig and sent friend requests to Metalax and Silfurdreki. Hopefully we can get some kind of teamwork going.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Soon to be released MMOFPS. 2000 players/server. More updates!
« Reply #4036 on: November 21, 2012, 09:21:30 am »

So I downloaded the EU launcher, logged in, accepted the T&C, it froze up a bit then kicked me back to the login screen. I repeated the whole thing but then it closed instead of kicking me to the login screen.

I've tried redownloading, the same thing happens...

what do?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: November 21, 2012, 09:30:34 am »

It may be that your computer cannot handle it. Mine can't, so upgrades are rquired before I re-enact the heli scene from Apocalypse Now.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: November 21, 2012, 10:34:27 am »

I've been playing beta for quite some time, so I know how to gain certs.  Was getting them at a decent rate, but kept crashing and getting queued which really cut my rates down.  The problem is that they slashed the cert/XP ratio by half in the last week of beta, and also dramatically raised prices across the board.  While I didn't expect Beta rates to stay in, it's effectively 4x the cost for what were the "top-tier" weapons (those that previously cost 480).  That in and of itself wouldn't be so bad, they were after all top-tier, but the real problem in my mind is that low- or even mid-range items and certs were bumped up into the top-tier as well.  HA rocket launcher upgrades, for instance, used to be 98 certs.  Now they're 1000.  That's over a 20x increase in the time to acquire without SC, for an item that isn't a sidegrade but a weapon with completely different functionality.  Even the non-weapon certs (mods, class upgrades, etc) have had prices go up dramatically, which makes little sense as they're not buyable with SC and even with Beta rates it was estimated someone playing 5 hours a day would take about 3 years to unlock all the class/vehicle upgrades.  It's like they decided that long, skinner-box progression was what would keep people playing instead of just being icing. 

As far as the metagame goes... look at PS1.  Base bonuses (simplified version is incoming to PS2 Soon(TM)), combat engineering, and the infiltrator game alone added many, many layers of depth even in continental battles.  When you took into account the intercontinental lattice, it added a huge amount of complexity to the game.  Right now, it's just 3 maps that don't relate to each other at all.  Resources aren't even shared, so unless someone's really dying for that 10% bonus from continent lock, they'll never have any reason to leave their favorite continent. 

Anyway, that's enough bitching from me.  Game's still fun for now, but I'm just concerned about longevity.   
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4039 on: November 21, 2012, 10:37:30 am »

I really do lament the lack of combat engineering. It was one of my favorite aspects of the first game.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4040 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:45 am »

They doubled the rate of cert gain at the end of the beta not halved it and that has carried over to the release. The increase in cert cost was not a straight doubling, higher tier weapons were increased by a smaller amount so the net effect was a 30% reduction in cost for higher tier weapons.

Many of the cert costs in the beta were also artificially low so as to enable people to get them in the limited time, so not really surprising that they are now up at their actual costs, although some of them do seem to have been priced too high for their effectivness.

Still the certs come in at a reasonable pace even with all the disconnects and crashes I've been suffering from.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:13 am »

I've been playing beta for quite some time, so I know how to gain certs.  Was getting them at a decent rate, but kept crashing and getting queued which really cut my rates down.  The problem is that they slashed the cert/XP ratio by half in the last week of beta, and also dramatically raised prices across the board.  While I didn't expect Beta rates to stay in, it's effectively 4x the cost for what were the "top-tier" weapons (those that previously cost 480).  That in and of itself wouldn't be so bad, they were after all top-tier, but the real problem in my mind is that low- or even mid-range items and certs were bumped up into the top-tier as well.  HA rocket launcher upgrades, for instance, used to be 98 certs.  Now they're 1000.  That's over a 20x increase in the time to acquire without SC, for an item that isn't a sidegrade but a weapon with completely different functionality.  Even the non-weapon certs (mods, class upgrades, etc) have had prices go up dramatically, which makes little sense as they're not buyable with SC and even with Beta rates it was estimated someone playing 5 hours a day would take about 3 years to unlock all the class/vehicle upgrades.  It's like they decided that long, skinner-box progression was what would keep people playing instead of just being icing. 

As far as the metagame goes... look at PS1.  Base bonuses (simplified version is incoming to PS2 Soon(TM)), combat engineering, and the infiltrator game alone added many, many layers of depth even in continental battles.  When you took into account the intercontinental lattice, it added a huge amount of complexity to the game.  Right now, it's just 3 maps that don't relate to each other at all.  Resources aren't even shared, so unless someone's really dying for that 10% bonus from continent lock, they'll never have any reason to leave their favorite continent. 

Anyway, that's enough bitching from me.  Game's still fun for now, but I'm just concerned about longevity.   
I guess it's what's happening to many games these days.
I'm just going to say it.

"Dumbed down for the masses".

E:
I'm going on miller too, most people seem to be there. Sure you can't switch Nevyn?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:49:16 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4042 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:59 pm »

despite the 'dumbing down' I'm still having fun with it though.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: November 21, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »

I was enjoying this for a bit but at low settings it's making my computer overheat. This is stupid. I can play Skyrim at max settings smoothly.

By the way, I'm Lectorog, Vanu, on Mattherson.
Not sure if I'll be able to play at any point. Perhaps if I turn the screen resolution down...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: November 21, 2012, 01:52:09 pm »

We need to put together a chart or something to keep track of where everyone is.  I'm on Mattherson right now, NC, Cfoofoo.
Shoes...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: November 21, 2012, 01:53:49 pm »

A chart would be a good idea. Google docs would probably be best. Anybody got any expirience or an idea how it should look?

I was enjoying this for a bit but at low settings it's making my computer overheat. This is stupid. I can play Skyrim at max settings smoothly.

I overheat when i play skyrim, but not when i play PS2.

Herp derp.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: November 21, 2012, 02:24:03 pm »

I agree with you, spent a few hours downloading it, and MY GRAPHICS CARD ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH!
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4047 on: November 21, 2012, 02:27:04 pm »

Yeah I've been running into the same issue, I've had the computer shut itself down twice due to overheating when in the middle of massive battles. Guess it's time to upgrade from this 4 year old machine.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:33 pm »

Well, Sony fucked everyone over yet again.
If all the servers are up, that's a maximum of 24,000 people at any one time.

That's just not enough for an MMO, especially one which has had as much publicity as PS2.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: November 21, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »

The servers are pretty good. If you're American, play on the Europe servers during the day, and later in the day play on the American servers. For Europeans vica versa.

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 826