Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089230 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can manually spot distant targets, though. IIRC the default key is 'q'. As in 400m+ distances (roughly judged).
And this is the reason why everyone is always shouting that they need ammo even when they dont.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

You can manually spot distant targets, though. IIRC the default key is 'q'. As in 400m+ distances (roughly judged).
Still sometimes too far away. Spotting has a limited range too.

If they're half a kilometerish away, you'll almost certainly not kill them unless they close; even hitting them will be a difficult prospect. So, if your problem is "air is always fucking my shit up", would it not be prudent to not attract the attention of enemy air? Alternatively, if you really must, try firing a test shot or two? If you score a hit and don't get the FF warning, that solves that problem.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

The entire idea of an AA gun is to shoot enemy air.

Of course, AA guns have become almost useless, but it's nice to play pretend sometimes.
Nothing important here, move along.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And this is the reason why everyone is always shouting that they need ammo even when they dont.

I still have no clue why Q does context-sensitive callouts like that. "I've fired a bullet, and my target is a few metres out of range! Give me ammo!"

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something that I'm wondering about, but haven't really found an answer to...  does spotting ('announcing') an enemy make you show up on their map?  Or warn them in any way, other than if you're close enough for them to hear that is?
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

no, but spotting does make you shout pretty damn loud. I think you can hear it from like 50-100 metres away

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

This is for players on Briggs.

Please be aware of a TR player by the name of Toroid, he is using a speed hack and if you see him in action, report him to the moderators.

Last night while sitting in an AV phalanx, he went zooming through my FOV flashing in and out of existence every fifteen metres leaving a wake of dead bodies behind him.  Others have reported him, but there is obviously not enough reports because he is still causing havoc.  Other players also 'yell'ed about someone using a flying hack, didn't see that one myself, or else I did not recognise it as such.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is there a AV engineer turret? because the wiki says there is but I can find no evidence for one in game.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

This is for players on Briggs.

Please be aware of a TR player by the name of Toroid, he is using a speed hack and if you see him in action, report him to the moderators.

Last night while sitting in an AV phalanx, he went zooming through my FOV flashing in and out of existence every fifteen metres leaving a wake of dead bodies behind him.  Others have reported him, but there is obviously not enough reports because he is still causing havoc.  Other players also 'yell'ed about someone using a flying hack, didn't see that one myself, or else I did not recognise it as such.
I've seen stuff like that (people flashing across places, seeming to pop in and out of existence), but kind of assumed it was a synchronisation bug.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

I think they nerfed the triple A because people complained that air was useless because they kept getting shot down by the triple A. If you keep getting shot down by AA, send in some sundies to take out the AA, so the fliers can move in to assist.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The entire idea of an AA gun is to shoot enemy air.

Of course, AA guns have become almost useless, but it's nice to play pretend sometimes.

But you don't need AA if enemy air isn't attacking you in the first place. S'better to avoid problems than attract and try to solve them. Just sayin'. Same deal if you're flanking as a heavy and notice a swarm of EI running across a field 200ish meters away: yeah, you could open fire and maybe kill one of them before they got you, or you could keep moving and do what you were originally going to do instead.

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Unless you're a badass sniper with the LMG and know you can kill them all anyway, of course.

The thing about being an AA gunner is that you aren't doing anything else: your job is to shoot down enemy aircraft. Especially when you're in the base turrets: you either shoot or you watch. He's saying it would be nice if it were easier to do the shooting part without worrying about hitting your own guys.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

But... wasn't one of his big complaints the relative ineffectiveness of AA? By that logic, the few flak bursts that would hit a friendly in the time it takes to notice the FF icon would be inconsequential. I already said this: if you start shooting at something far away, you'll be lucky to hit it at all. If you do, you'll know if it's friendly. If it's hostile and moving to attack, then you'll figure it out pretty quickly. If it's friendly coming towards you, the same. If it's not going anywhere near you, why do you care?

3. Run Resize Enable

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

The 'AA sucks' was my complaint, not his. He apparently disagrees if he's actually willing to try it.

As for the shooting at a friendly, the game doesn't care how much damage you do, it cares how many times you shoot friendlies. Each round that hits an ally counts, whether it killed them or scratched them. And it kinda sucks to get weapon-locked.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Which leads into the most relevant point: When you can't tell the difference between friendly and hostile, check your fire? It's SOP in real-world militaries for a reason, neh?

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 826