Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089150 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno, even if I had cash buying a gun seems like a really bad idea. They seem to be extremely fond of nerfing anything that works well, while making something else overpowered. If I spent seven bucks on a weapon, I'd be very worried that later on that weapon is going to be useless.

Look at the skyguard, it's one of the top tier, most expensive weapons in the game. It used to be pretty damn good at warding off enemy aircraft, now it's completely shit, and I know a couple of people that are annoyed they bought it.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

@Thexor.
Its 250 exp per cert.  What they did was quadrupled the cert cost of everything, and some things even more than that.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those working with me on Briggs who were f2p players were reporting something like 60-80 certs. I generally took them through easy caps and good defense areas and kept them working together right and they were rolling in it. But that was before all the rocketpod spamming started...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Or, ya know, admit that you're having fun with the game, decide that it's worth $20, and buy the weapons you really want.

I'd just as soon not encourage them to continue to sell power and enforce lengthy grinds. If they want my money, they can sell me some nice cosmetics (god their cosmetic shop sucks) or they can drop their F2P model and run the game more traditionally.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or, ya know, admit that you're having fun with the game, decide that it's worth $20, and buy the weapons you really want.

I'd just as soon not encourage them to continue to sell power and enforce lengthy grinds. If they want my money, they can sell me some nice cosmetics (god their cosmetic shop sucks) or they can drop their F2P model and run the game more traditionally.
They don't sell power. All of the weapons are side-grades. Want the traditional model? Subscribe to remove most of the grind. What more would you want from the cosmetic shop in the first month?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

They don't sell power. All of the weapons are side-grades.
If you say so.

What more would you want from the cosmetic shop in the first month?
The ability to preview the item on my character/vehicle seems... rather critical to deciding whether I like it or not. So I'd go with that, for now.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

G2A AA is not totally useless. It's just useless for earning certs. It's still a mild deterrent, which is better than no deterrent, and having no AA at all will rape your squad eventually, when you're in the open.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't sell you power is only true if you think in the most simple of short term - terms.

They allow you to get power faster, if not straight out buy them.

Easy example:

Rocketlaucher.

Basic - fires straight only, normal damage
Anti Vehicle - CAN fire straight, more damage + possibly lock on.

Yeah.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't sell you power is only true if you think in the most simple of short term - terms.

They allow you to get power faster, if not straight out buy them.

Easy example:

Rocketlaucher.

Basic - fires straight only, normal damage
Anti Vehicle - CAN fire straight, more damage + possibly lock on.

Yeah.

Still a side-grade.

Basic: DMG 1000     Speed 100    (fast, weaker, dumbfire)
AV:    DMG 1500     Speed  40     (easy to evade slow fired rocket)
AA:    DMG 1275     Speed 100    (only engages air)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Yeah, that doesn't really fly. The AA rocketlauncher is better at dumbfire than the default one.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

You're better off farming kills or support points. Kills are 100 XP each, plus a potential +10 headshot bonus, plus occasional bonuses for ending an enemy kill streak, plus bonuses for you getting a kill streak. Get ~4 kills in a life, and with the bonuses, you've just earned a cert. Support points are also nice - reviving a soldier grants 75 XP, and the soldier comes back at low health, awarding another 40 XP if you heal them back to full. Alternately, an engineer can get ~150 XP from repairing a destroyed generator or turret, making amp stations an awesome source of loot.

Unfortunately, this makes sense, and it kinda bothers me.  When you put it that way, and I think you're right, it seems like they're encouraging you to wade into the meat grinder over and over, grabbing a couple kills every respawn.  I feel like I'm helping my faction out a lot more when I go capture 4-5 sparsely defended areas in the same time that it takes for one massive clusterfuck to grind itself out.  I have more fun doing it, too... but I only get like 15-20 certs per hour that way.

Or, ya know, admit that you're having fun with the game, decide that it's worth $20, and buy the weapons you really want. Sure, it's nice that everything can, in theory, be available for free... but I'm quite willing to drop $20 on a game that could easily have been a AAA release at $50-60. Think of the F2P mechanic as a really awesome demo (something that you don't see a lot of games releasing any more), and suddenly the pricing of items starts to make sense.  ;)

I wouldn't actually consider this a AAA title.  It can be fun, but at best I would consider it unfinished for a AAA.  The engine needs optimization.  I see player positioning bugs constantly.  There's more reports of cheating every day. 

Even if it were a completely solid AAA title, I still wouldn't pay that much.  I buy games almost exclusively during Steam sales anymore.  During the Fall sale, I picked up 12 games for about $30, and a couple of them were AAA titles.  By comparison, how can I justify spending $10 on a single item in a single game?  For 1/3 of the price, I'd consider it.  You could argue that they have to jack up the price so that paying customers make up for all the freebie players, but they'd make much much larger volume of sales at impulse buy prices, which I consider to be no more than $3.  I was actually planning to buy a some in-game cash the other day, thinking I'd drop $5-10 just once and buy a few items.  Then I saw how expensive everything is and just couldn't justify it.  That's when I logged off and made my first post on the subject in this thread.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I, personally, wish I could get a refund for the money I /did/ waste on this game. Even if I were to pick it up again, I don't even use any of the stuff that Alpha Squad gave me. The camo is hideous and the extra weapons are not ones I would have really bothered with in the first place.
Nothing important here, move along.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I, personally, wish I could get a refund for the money I /did/ waste on this game. Even if I were to pick it up again, I don't even use any of the stuff that Alpha Squad gave me. The camo is hideous and the extra weapons are not ones I would have really bothered with in the first place.

Did you pay for that stuff or to get access before everyone else?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If I remeber correctly, the Alpha squad was the same price as the value of the station credits you got with it, so really the weapons and camo were just a bonuse on a normal station cash purchase. The problem with pre-ordering something though I guess.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, right now the game needs ALOT of work performance wise and gameplay wise. Sorta silly.

People like Galaxy pilots, get almost no xp, in fact liberator pilots also get screwed on XP.  Tailgunner position gets absolutely nothing.

But from what I read if the game is successful they will have the time to make it bigger and better, adding continental siege units etc!

I dont know the future of the game right now makes me fear its not gonna make it 2 more years, but i hope it does to see the improvements they make...
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 826