Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1085033 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

A gauss barrel theoretically does not need to seal around the projectile because it is the MLA accelerating the chunk of metal, no sealing is required, it might still be enclosed to keep out dust, dirt and fingers.  The projectile could be of the fin-stabilised or pre-rifled types, or even SABOT if we are talking Gauss shotgun/flechette. 

And I am refering to NC weapons here.

So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

They belong to the "Let's use all the cool-sounding names" school of weapon design.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mmm... guess you're right there. Even MLA speeds wouldn't cause the effects I was thinking of - without a near-perfect projectile/barrel seal, you'd need near-relativistic speeds to generate a trailing vacuum.

Then again, are the NC weapons actually gauss? They look more like conventional firearms. I suppose it's possible they're just well-disguised, though. Fake muzzle flashes and inaccurately-named attachments are a sneaky way of keeping the other armies ignorant of your actual weapons tech level.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile

Well, the muzzle flashes could be explained by ablation of the projectile. Picture here (Second image from the bottom)
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

That's plausible, but if it was moving fast enough to generate light and heat from friction with the atmosphere, the visible effect would be closer to a rapidly cycling laser than to muzzle flashes and tracer rounds.

My theory is that the NC weapons are really just sledgehammers and half-bricks designed to look like guns in order to fool the other factions into overestimating their tech.

3. Run Resize Enable

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

so, you get exp for people who spawn at your shunderer.  Now time to find the zerg and a good place for one to be located.

Just a quick heads up if you're planning on this. Be careful when latching onto a zerg. Try to see if the majority shares a clan tag, if so, it's polite not to follow with an AMS sunderer. After all, most of the time the outfit in question would like to use an AMS not as an EXP generator, but for whatever tactics they are planning. It's kinda a pet peave of mine, since what happened last time was my outfit was seiging a techplant, and someone put the AMS pretty far back, but just close enough that we coudln't get one where it was actually needed to get into the plant (IE inside the plant itself), and it wound up causing our whole offensive to come to a halt.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

You get more exp if you park that Sunderer as close as possible anyway.  Lastnight, I parked one just outside an enemy bases front door during a major offensive, and I had a steady 1-2 people per second spawning through for the next several minutes.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Just a quick heads up if you're planning on this. Be careful when latching onto a zerg. Try to see if the majority shares a clan tag, if so, it's polite not to follow with an AMS sunderer. After all, most of the time the outfit in question would like to use an AMS not as an EXP generator, but for whatever tactics they are planning. It's kinda a pet peave of mine, since what happened last time was my outfit was seiging a techplant, and someone put the AMS pretty far back, but just close enough that we coudln't get one where it was actually needed to get into the plant (IE inside the plant itself), and it wound up causing our whole offensive to come to a halt.
It's so annoying when this happens. A few times we've all had to blow up the offending sunderer.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have been shot, reported, abused and harrased after I destroyed the tenth zerg AMS that was preventing us from deploying INSIDE the techplant after our first wave broke down the shield gen where a NC zerg were trying to break into for at least 4hrs. Sheild breaker sundy into the back sheild and LA going over the shields in groups. Damn zergs kept deploying sundies miles awau feom the thing but too close to deploy... NC just lack all communication skills...

Spent ages screming for the owners to come forth too to move them...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile

^ Is why I defected to Vanu on Briggs....sorry. A little better here, i'd say. Some people actually use the command chat well.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

^ Is why I defected to Vanu on Briggs....sorry. A little better here, i'd say. Some people actually use the command chat well.
Why did you leave the NC, you should have joined me, MVEE rocks every land they come onto, sadly never can get the support to capture one though...
Had 90% of Esamir with one platoon running, kept having to run back and forth across the damn map to shut down the TR/VS pushes...
Sometimes we get 2 Platoons running as well. Bit hard to handle leading both but when we do we always seem to be swarmed by Mozzies, currently recruiting an Airforce to counter it...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:22:09 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/statuses/276317150292103168
New G2A next week. Guesses as to what it might be?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would guess it's a 4 tube shoulder fired unguided rocket launcher or a new engineer turret with a recoilles rifle effective against armor and air but not infantry.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

A multirole AV/AA engie turret sounds pretty good, though I'd question whether it could get enough elevation to be very good at short range AA work.

An AA MLRS could be plausible, as could an AA MIRV-style missile. Or possibly (though probably unlikely) a new AAA vehicle.

3. Run Resize Enable

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Thanks folks, weapons are indeed shareable across classes that can use it.  I was afraid they might be class-specific unlocks!

When I'm following a zerg I usually let the first few Sunderers deply, then try to find a way to place mine at the opposite side of an objective.  Objectives go down fast when attackers have a choice of 2-3 spawn locations and can come at it from any direction. 

Of course, after the past few nights, I'm beginning to wonder if dragging around a giant ESF rocket pod magnet is even worth it.  Every base has a horde of ESF circling it like flies on a turd now.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 826