Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089964 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I'm really hoping that the devs hyper-focus on balance (especially xp gains) in the near future and put out some major patches, instead of focusing on new content.  I reaaally want to like this game, because it's the only one of its kind that I'm aware of.  Right now there are just so many design decisions that leave me wondering wtf they were thinking.

I got around to trying out that Flash-mounted gun today.  It's a real game-changer for me.  It grants me a ton more independence, especially when I'm going off alone as an infiltrator, and greatly expands my ability to approach a wide variety of situations with any class.  I fought against a lightning and a liberator at the same time with the thing, and held my own for a while.  It was in the middle of a small outpost, and I just weaved around obstacles quickly enough that neither could get a clear shot at me.  I even did some fun creative stuff like ramping off the roofs of buildings a couple times.  Made 5 decent hit & run attacks against the lightning before they finally got me.  The damage is nothing fantastic, but it's enough to matter.  It takes about 1.5 clips to fully destroy a Sunderer.  Now I want to get the upgrade that allows it to climbs terrain better, so I can get access to exclusive sniping spots, where nothing can bother me except aircraft and the return fire of other snipers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

They're already focusing more on optimization than new content, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that they'll try to fix balance as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Defending lone bases with nearly noone can be so much fun that there need to be bigger cert gains for it. My favorite battles are battles where i take out an enemy HA in single combat. As a medic. Gives me so much satisfaction.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Medics have assault rifles. If they couldn't take out an HA, I'd be disappointed.
Nothing important here, move along.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

But HA's have LMG's and shields.
But then again, it's not that significant in single combat i guess. It's mainly tactics mixed with a bit of luck.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Medics can heal themselves. It's not as good as the HA's shield, but the HA's shield can simply be patiently avoided or picked off if the HA in question's a dumbass.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Medics have assault rifles. If they couldn't take out an HA, I'd be disappointed.
Try against TR HA. Their Guns fire more bullets into your head with pinpoint precision that you sometimes don't have a chance to fire back...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try against TR HA. Their Guns fire more bullets into your head with pinpoint precision that you sometimes don't have a chance to fire back...
Yeah, it's pretty well known that the Carv is broken beyond belief and the default NC LMG is useless.  Given all of the interlocking parts, I'm amazed the game is as balanced as it is.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

As for Zerg forces...

there isn't some sort of hivemind, that is the natural progression of things, a bunch of small, seperate forces begin assaults, some of those will fail and others will succeed, usually when an assault becomes a prolonged siege, people begin to notice and join in, then people start bringing tanks and escalation occurs (ie you bring vanguard, I bring mosquito, you bring AA lightning, etc. etc.) of course, there are just outfit-wide operations which are also conducted.

I don't know what you see, but I see alot of operations being conducted to cap territories behind lines and spearhead pushes into enemy territory. That aside, there's no real way to conduct pubs into a front-encompassing, even defense. Some fronts will just have more people than others.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Someone from my outfit made something (Or at least posted it)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

........... mmmhmm

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Nickelback? Oh HELL no.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Nickelback? Oh HELL no.
I'm guessing that it's an outfit that plays as Space Nickelback?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile

My hope is that they develop something that rates battles, and provide certs equivalent to how good of a fight it is divided by the number of participants.  Doing this in the right way would cut down on massive mobs waiting around for abandoned enemy bases to be capped, and would give some incentive to try to fight spread out along a longer front, rather than the current roving zergs. (something where the individuals in a small group that caps a facility gets a much greater reward than the individual in a mob of 50 tanks and 100 infantry)

The reward system should drive min-maxers to try to evenly distribute themselves across the front, with hot spots being presented with easy access, giving casual players easy entry into a good quick fight.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I've been thinking close to what you just described.  The exp value of capping a point should be drastically upgraded, but then divided up among the people involved.  Capture rewards are pitiful right now, which is strange considering it's the whole point of the game.  This would encourage more active dispersion and probing of the front lines for weakness, which would then lead to a wider variety of smaller scale, more strategic battles and a tug of war that spans the map.  Only possible downside would be in-fighting when outfits get angry at pubs stealing their exp during a cap.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:30:19 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

It was a fun run, but I think I'm mostly done with PS2 until something deeper comes up. It's a fun game, there just isn't much beyond that once you get to a certain point.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 826