Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089158 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't wait for server transfers. My lvl 15 is in NC on Matherson but I have grown to HATE my Outfit there(The Ascended) and am looking to join the TR Outfit that dominates Matherson. I can't bring myself to delete my lvl 15 though, so, it's now about the waiting game.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile

I can't wait for server transfers. My lvl 15 is in NC on Matherson but I have grown to HATE my Outfit there(The Ascended) and am looking to join the TR Outfit that dominates Matherson. I can't bring myself to delete my lvl 15 though, so, it's now about the waiting game.

Probably gonna be either The Enclave or Angels of Death in that case, seem to be the two big TR ones. I'd say AoD since that's the one I'm in, and, well let's say I'm not too fond of the Enclave and their Crown fetish.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

He who controls the crown controls Indar.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He who controls the crown controls Indar.
Only half true...
He who controls the Crown controls where the NC Zerg charges blindly and stupidly...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

The easiest way to get more FPS, it seems, is to lower the Render Quality slider.  I have mine at 75%, and terrain and texture quality turned way down.

Just went and turned them down even more.  Good framerate makes such a huge difference in gameplay.

In my experience, the render quality makes the game look like total ass but does almost nothing to improve FPS. I think if you are GPU bottlenecked, render quality will help but for CPU bottleneck (which afaik is most people) it does nothing.

What helped me by a massive amount (my system is actually under the minimum requirements) is turning the draw distance down. The default (for some reason) is massive, far longer then you can actually see. Unfortunately you can't change it ingame

What you do is open useroptions.ini and find the render distance line, it's probably set to -1.00000 (which means unlimited/server controlled or something like that). I turned mine to 300, which is super low (but my computer is terrible) you could probably try 1000 for a start, and go up or down from there depending on how well it runs. More then 3000 is probably a waste, and even as low as 300 is very playable (just don't try to fly because there's too much fog to see other planes or ground targets).

As for MAXs, they are just too expensive to upgrade (and some of the upgrades, like lower damage from infantry weapons, are a joke). Why would anyone spend thousands of certs upgrading a max which dies almost as fast as an infantry but can only be spawned every 10(?) minutes? They just cost too much for what you get.

Best AA right now is A2A missiles on an ESF, ground targets are just meat for rocket pods (even dual burster max dies faster to rocket pods then he can kill an ESF) and unless you are fighting a complete idiot you will never, ever kill an aircraft with a G2A weapon making it the most unrewarding job in the game (which is why you don't see many people unlocking G2A weapons). A2A rockets will consistently net you kills because you can chase them down when they run (but you are still better off unlocking rocket pods instead and cert farming till they nerf them)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Strange.  Just dropping render quality 10% makes a huge difference for me, and I've seen a couple performance guides say the same.  I have a pretty good computer, but this game just doesn't play smoothly with decent graphics settings.

I'd prefer to keep my draw distance as high as possible, because I do lots of super long range sniping... though I wonder if setting it to a determined number, instead of unlimited, would reduce instances of distant players randomly disappearing from sight.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Crossroads on Indar man, effing brilliant. LA-jump into the tree and shoot both enemy factions!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I made about 80 certs sniping at a never-ending horde of NC infantry.  Raised my K/D a whole 6% in just that battle.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

What you do is open useroptions.ini and find the render distance line, it's probably set to -1.00000 (which means unlimited/server controlled or something like that). I turned mine to 300, which is super low (but my computer is terrible) you could probably try 1000 for a start, and go up or down from there depending on how well it runs. More then 3000 is probably a waste, and even as low as 300 is very playable (just don't try to fly because there's too much fog to see other planes or ground targets).

Thanks!  This made the game almost playable for me at 800.  I'll try piddling around with it more and see if I can make it good enough to actually be useful in a firefight.  (It was good enough to medic a bit.)

Know any other tweaks like that that aren't ingame?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think around 1000 is the range that people vanish from view.  I may be wrong but this should be a good distance for sniping.

\\\\\

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The great thing about Indar is that Allatum Bio-Labs always has some action. I Orbital dropped in as Vanu while TR controlled it and NC were assaulting it on the roof of the dome and then realised with horror that I forgot to change my class and was medic, literally the worst class to be a sole soldier in the middle of a firefight between two hostiles. Still got 4 kills before I got spotted but could have been so more with any other class, I thought I was engineer and was going to plant a turret on the skywalk facing the landing pad to just cut down hordes of NC.

Still the game as a whole doesn't interest me that much, can't capture warpgates so can't ever win and generally whoever has the biggest army wins so it becomes like a giant circle jerk of capturing bases, dying isn't a disincentive at all and being in combat nets far more xp then long capture times in other bases. Good for some mindless fun for a bit but I don't see it long term, actually it makes me want to load up Tribes 2 :D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Just find a good outfit.

And i agree with hemmingjay. TAS sucks a bit. Nothing worse then not hearing anything from command but "move to squad waypoint in [vehicle]", start up teamspeak and hear the leaders cheerfully chatting about various things.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We talk about alot of shit in MVEE Platoon Chat, when it comes to important shit we say "Clear Coms". Everyone shuts up for a while, then after all the craps done we go back to talking about shit again...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Only officers have talkpower in the TS channel. (except for the lobby)
Platoon chat is barely used.

This is terrible for me, because i'm a very... chatty person.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My problem with TAS is simply that a few jackasses spam Platoon voice constantly and we can't communicate in squads. It is even worse when it's some 12 year old with a napoleon complex.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 826