Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089944 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5550 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:28 am »

Yeah, destroying the SCU should definitely entirely disable spawn timers. Slowing them down won't stop the zerg at all. Hell, it seems to happen to me a lot that even after destroying all the gens that the defenders just waltz back in and retake the base.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: January 26, 2013, 09:12:58 am »

The event went well, the Vanu won the ingame challenges (Good for us!), but the GENIUSES at SOE decided to make it a popularity contest, so the TR won.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: January 26, 2013, 09:49:17 am »

The VS were not interested in the competition on Briggs, while the TR and half the NC flocked to Amerish to do the challenges, the VS went to Indar and had a grand time.
Those of us in the NC who followed the VS thought Duck Season had started - Scythes everywhere, AA going flat-out thinning them out, it was glorious.  Then the VS moved to Esamir after it appeared they could not cap Indar - seriously, Indar has not been capped by any faction for a few days now, the TR have suddenly lost interest and migrated to Amerish.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: January 26, 2013, 10:54:27 am »

As far as I'm aware, Ceres' Indar wasnt capped since I begun to play, a good month or so ago. There was a time when Esamir was always VS and Amerish NC, but now both are TR 24/7.
Still, my TR friend won't stop whining.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5554 on: January 26, 2013, 12:13:57 pm »

It's gotten to the point where I won't play if I have to fight VS. When their carbines are out-shooting my DMR at 300 yards, while I'm in cover and have a significant height advantage, I get a little frustrated. TR and NC balance is fine. VS just needs to be toned down a bit.

I'm really looking forward to unlocks being account wide. Shame that won't be for a few months.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: January 26, 2013, 12:19:03 pm »

Why does everyone think balance can only go down, that you need to nerf things? They shouldn't nerf the VS, they should buff the other factions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: January 26, 2013, 12:32:45 pm »

Why does everyone think balance can only go down, that you need to nerf things? They shouldn't nerf the VS, they should buff the other factions.
Well, that would reduce the TTK significantly tough, and it's pretty low as-is.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: January 26, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »

I'm really looking forward to unlocks being account wide. Shame that won't be for a few months.

Are they actually going to do this?  That will go a long way towards motivating me to play the game again.  I wanted to try other factions, but I didn't want to start from scratch again.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: January 26, 2013, 01:39:03 pm »

If you're trying to take out VS from a distance you're doing it wrong. Do it up close. The ONLY up close fights I've ever won as a VS are the ones where I start with a distinct advantage. I.E. I ambush someone. I sneak up on someone. I find someone that's already hurt badly. I'm an HA and I'm fighting a Infiltrator that's not cloaking for whatever reason.

Get in the VS's face because distance is the only advantage they can use. NC should be doing this anyway, in almost every case. (although their sniper rifles hurt pretty badly as well.) This might not be as obvious to the TR though. They might be used to staying away from the NC to fight them, but they need to rush the VS.

Every time I play VS HA, and I run up on almost any other enemy up close, I can even start firing first, but if he's half way accurate, then he can kill me before I even get through his shields. Because of this, it really does help to group up. I feel like the VS may tend to use more group mentality to get things done. I'm rarely doing anything alone and I rarely come upon anyone not grouped up, but I see all the time TR and occasionally NC just trying to rambo it and do it solo. Sometimes it works... for a while... but once there's a numbers difference there they start losing and as often as not, they just don't come back rather than trying to get help.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: January 26, 2013, 01:40:03 pm »

Are they actually going to do this?  That will go a long way towards motivating me to play the game again.  I wanted to try other factions, but I didn't want to start from scratch again.

It sounded as if it was only going to be for cash purchased stuff... or perhaps stuff that CAN be purchased with cash.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: January 26, 2013, 01:47:17 pm »

I don't think that account-wide unlocks would mean unlocking equivalent weapons for every faction, just that if you unlock, say, the second Burster arm for the VS Max on one character, you would then have it unlocked on all VS characters you ever play. That said, I dearly hope that it does mean interfactional unlocks.

On the "VS OP NERF PLZ" overflow from the PS2 forums: Every side has an advantage. The VS one is distinctly not CQC. Like sluissa, I rarely win CQC confrontations unless I have some other major advantage, e.g. attacking by surprise, friendly supporting fire, a badly injured enemy, etc. When I play, I basically never try to get close as VS. I try to find a good firing location or ambush spot, and then pick off enemies at range or by surprise as they run past me.

The VS advantages, increased accuracy and low/no bullet drop, are both decidedly long-ranged advantages. The NC advantage of damage per shot and ScatMaxes are both very much CQC advantages. The TR RoF is good at all ranges, but especially in medium-short to short range. If it's a Biolab or building interior, the VS are probably going to be at a disadvantage unless they have overwhelming numbers. Most significantly, a VS Maxrush is much easier to shut down than either NC or TR ones, because VS Maxes are absolute shit. I never play them, except for AA. As in, I literally don't have any certs in Maxes other than the second burster arm, and I don't have any loadouts except for AA.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5561 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »

The problem is that most battles, regardless of which faction is involved, takes place at ~40 meters. With the current mechanics, they're simply too powerful.

Here's what I think they should do (But won't):

Infantry:
- Increase the health of infantry, including shields, by 50%. Killing and dying at the drop of a dime isn't fun. Deaths will still be fairly quick (2 - 4 seconds in most cases), but overall I think it'd improve the balance between different weapons and give infantry a fighting chance against vehicles.
- Increase the head shot damage of all sniper rifles by 50% for one-hit kills.
- Introduce armor piercing rounds. Does very little damage to armored vehicles, but it's better than nothing and gives all classes access to ranged anti-armor weapons. It does less damage to infantry and increases recoil, but travels faster.
- Remove nanoweave armor, or change it to reduce damage against non-armor piercing rounds. Each rank should increase your survivability in some way (IE, one more bullet of damage from light weapons for rank 1, one more bullet from medium weapons at rank 2, etc) and cost a fair sum. With the new health system, this won't be the "must have" suit upgrade, and would be preferred only for specific situations. It may need a buff to make it more useful. If it turns up too powerful, it can decrease movement speed very slightly.
- Damage rework on guns to fit in with the nanoweave survivability scale. Overall gun damage should be increased slightly (10 - 25%) to counter the high TTK brought on by increasing overall health.
- Increase options to get ammo. Supply drops, scavenging, ammo crates in the back of cars... Doesn't matter, just make bullets and rockets more available. This is essential with the increased health.
- Reduce recoil effects of high recoil weapons by 1/5, mid-recoil weapons by 1/6, and low recoil guns by 1/8 so RoF is less awesome compared to high damage. Also, this will make more bullets hit, allowing infantry combat to still be fast.
- Increase the bonuses given by weapon mods, especially recoil reducing ones. Allow most guns to carry most mods and their improved versions (Especially scopes). If a weapon can't use a mod, it should have a good in-game reason. If I can have a laser sight, I should be able to get the advanced laser, too.
- Remove flinching, reduce it significantly, or have the degree of the flinch be based on the damage of the weapon hitting you (Probably best if we don't want Sniper Rifles dominating combat). In the final case, the current degree of the flinch would be a shot from a sniper rifle. You're a biologically engineered clone, you don't need pain.
- Increase the magazine size for all carbines and assault rifles that do not have 40-round magazines by 5.
- Give all guns with low-capacity magazines and low damage, such as sniper rifles, scout rifles, and high RoF variants, an extra magazine or two. This will make them more feasible in extended combat, especially with the higher health.
- Increase the minimum damage drop-off distance to vary from weapon to weapon. Pistols drop off at 10 meters, SMGs at 15, carbines at 20, ARs at 30, LMGs at 35, Semi-Auto Rifles at 50, and Sniper Rifles stay the same (No damage drop-off). Bullet height should also take longer to drop, depending on the weapon. This will make long range combat more feasible with the increased health.
- Flak Canon MANA turret for engineers.
- Flak Canon for Heavy Assaults. Takes up the Launcher spot.
- Decrease Flak Canon damage by 1/4 or so.
- Two different kinds of lock-on ammunition for launchers: One with a fast lock-on time but slow missile speed, the other with a slow lock-on time by fast missile speed.
- Soft Point ammunition should do increased damage to infantry instead of increasing the damage drop off range by a negligible amount.

Vehicles:
- Drop all vehicle projectile explosive radii by 1/2. You should actually have to aim, rather than just point your turret in the general direction of your target.
- Increase direct explosion damage to the point where it can handle the new infantry health. (IE, you should die if you eat a rocket or step on a mine.)
- Drop the health of all aircraft by 1/4 or so. Allow small arms fire to damage Libs and Gals. They're planes, not tanks. They should not be able to take more hits than a tank.
- Heavy Armor cert for aircraft, allowing you to ignore small arms fire, but slowing your aircraft significantly.
- Reduce the front armor of the Magrider to be on par with its side armor.

Buildings and Bases:
- Put a lot more buildings in and around bases. It should feel less spartan and minimal than it is now.
- Larger buildings. More variety. Make them feel like they had a purpose before the war.
- Pretend the people who made the bases were aware that someone invented aircraft and that people in their buildings die when bombed by things above them.
- Place ammo stations around the base. They don't allow you to change kits, but you can resupply from them.
- More cover for infantry, especially from vehicles and aircraft.

Empire Specific:
- Decrease the CoF on NC and TR guns slightly.
- Decrease damage drop off for non-VS guns. (Exception below.)
- Introduce two new, VS specific ammo types: Plasma Beam and Laser Bolt. Both are unlocked from the start for all weapons (Except Sniper Rifles, which remain exactly as they are: The same as all other factions), and one must always be equipped. Plasma Shot is functionally similar to other factions' standard ammunition: It is affected by bullet drop, is less affected by damage drop-off, and keeps the current recoil that VS weapons have. Laser Bolt rounds are the no-drop off bullets, with some small differences: They travel slightly faster, but are more affected by damage drop-off and have increased recoil. Unlocking a new ammo type (Like Armor Piercing) will unlock both Plasma and Laser variants.
- Increase Lasher Damage by 50%. Have two special Lasher ammo varients: Focused and Explosive. Focused ammo deals increased direct hit damage, while explosive ammo deals more splash damage and has a larger blast radius.

Gobal:
- Supply drops, as mentioned above.
- Satellite Scans. Spend some resources for a quick scan of the local area. Useful for finding hidden infantry.

TL;DR: Buff infantry significantly, make VS guns more unique rather than OP, and nerf aircraft slightly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:42:15 pm by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: January 26, 2013, 03:05:57 pm »

Assuming this is correct (and I really hope it is), how will this affect symmetric unlocks?

For instance, every faction technically has different ESF weapons. If I've bought the NC A2G rockets, would I get the Dual Photon Pods on my VC character?

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: January 26, 2013, 03:59:18 pm »

The problem is that most battles, regardless of which faction is involved, takes place at ~40 meters. With the current mechanics, they're simply too powerful.

-snip a lot of stuff-

TL;DR: Buff infantry significantly, make VS guns more unique rather than OP, and nerf aircraft slightly.

Pretty much this, especially the air nerf.
I need to put something interesting here.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5564 on: January 26, 2013, 04:46:05 pm »

I just feel that Infantry is too weak in PS2. Most games empower infantry to the point where if you're lucky or good, you have a decent chance against a tank or helicopter even if you're alone. In PS2, an entire squad can have a hard time against a single Liberator, even if they all go anti-air with support classes at their backs.

Not only that, it's pretty boring playing infantry when your only chance of consistently killing someone is sneaking up on them rather than being more skilled than them. I'd like some fair fights that didn't boil down to who has the weapon with the highest RoF. Call me a Quake/Unreal Tournament fan, but longer fights mean more chances for something fun to happen, and allowing for more skill and strategy to come into play. It's not all, "Oh, crap someone's shooting at me and I should turn around and shoot back but I already died."

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 826