Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084870 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5700 on: February 02, 2013, 12:46:14 pm »

It's the January patch. Bunch of balance, mostly with MBTs, some optimization, and SMGs.

Servers aren't back up yet, so don't expect to try it out any time soon.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Idranel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: February 02, 2013, 01:12:36 pm »

I just can't think of any other method to help folks who don't have cell phones or credit cards.

You never used the same Windows XP license after upgrading your PC, did you ?
Everyone either has a phone line or a mobile phone or both.

But you'd be surprised how trivially cheap and easy it is for me to get a new throw-away telephone number. I just have to click a few forms on a website and my ISP creates a new one for me.
Atleast buying another dirt-cheap prepaid SIM card would require some bit of effort.

Apparantly its also trivially easy for some people to get credit cards that are essentially gift cards or so I've been told.

Then again... you could require photo copied IDs to be mailed to SOE to create accounts. That would be highly annoying, very similiar to whats going on in china (for different reasons...), expensive and generally more trouble than what its trying to solve. But maybe in 10-20 years everyone can get personal, government issued asymmetric key pairs to be able to prove their identity online and to sign contracts.

Edit:
Also the size of that update is surprising. It doesn't inspire much confidence in the competence of those responsible when over 40% of the game has to be downloaded again for relatively minor changes. Especially if they have to take the forum offline at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:19:30 pm by Idranel »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: February 02, 2013, 01:43:00 pm »

I was able to briefly get in.  The warpgates are rotated (yay), there's one (ONE?) SMG that all classes can use, and it's 1k certs to buy.  Then I noticed there were no terminals at the warpgate, tried to deploy, and got disconnected.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: February 02, 2013, 01:45:12 pm »

They probably disabled the forums to keep people from flooding them while the servers were down. Not the best idea, but that's probably why they did it.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: February 02, 2013, 01:49:25 pm »

And it's up.  Looks like NC weapons got tweaked- my GD-F7 has a MUCH higher RoF now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: February 02, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »

And it's up.  Looks like NC weapons got tweaked- my GD-F7 has a MUCH higher RoF now.
So the best weapon was made even better? Nice.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: February 02, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »

I think the recoil's worse, though.  So far I'm liking it, though.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:40 pm »

My shotgun! It's amazing, kicking ass at far longer ranges now, and the recoil is stupidly low.
My reaver, it dances in the air like a ballerina. I'm spinning and turning at the slightest adjustment. Might even lower mouse sensitivity.
It's...it's beautiful.  :'(

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: February 02, 2013, 04:00:26 pm »

Yeah, shotties got an across the board buff, especially the Jackhammer.

http://vanurangers.com/news.php?extend.37

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: February 02, 2013, 04:02:02 pm »

I should really get me a shotty.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: February 02, 2013, 04:07:21 pm »

So the best weapon was made even better? Nice.

It sounds different. If there's any mechanical changes, they're too subtle for me to notice at first glance.

Anyone else find the tunnels a bit disappointing? Nothing to fight over, and takes a long time... they should have just moved the spawn point closer or something.

The bio lab changes are pretty nice, though.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: February 02, 2013, 04:11:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm considering getting one myself.

Also, the SMG's seem rather strong, atleast the VS one that kept killing me :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: February 02, 2013, 04:26:37 pm »

Good to see all around. Time to get back into PS2 for a while.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »

Absolutly glad to see they finally implimented my biggest pet peeve, faction UI colors. Can't tell how often Ive not known a battle was a 3-way because all I saw were nondescript Red triangles. Also the cooldown on Q spotting for Q-Spammers (people who would just hit Q as often as possible, I imagine using a macro or something) means more sneaky sneaky might be viable.

EDIT: Bit concerned about the Magrider change. I understand WHY it was done, just its also the best method for dislodging the buggers from certain ditches they get stuck in :P Then again, maybe Im the only one dumb enough to get a hover tank stuck in a ditch.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:37:46 pm by Silent_Thunder »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: February 02, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »

I've seen people complaining about their Magriders losing something like 40km/h from their max speed. Not sure if it's a bug or what. Really like the Skyguard now, apart from the far too high traverse speed. Even managed to shoot down a few LAs.  :P

On a more personal level, this is it. It looks like I'm done with PS2 for the foreseeable future, barring a major fix. Not because of content or anything, though. I haven't changed my setting at all from pre-update (they were already optimized for speed), but I've gone from 35-40fps in empty areas and 25-30fps in major battles to 15-20fps in empty areas, 5-10fps in smaller fights, and as low as 1fps in Biolab battles. The game's about as close to unplayable as it can get for me, so I'm just going to have to cross my fingers and hope for a patch.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 826