Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1084978 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #5895 on: February 09, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »

apparently the underbarrel GL is firing blank 2/3 of the time. damn annoying.

It has a minimum arming distance of ~10 meters since the last patch, maybe that's what you're experiencing. It will still do quite a bit of damage (750, I think) on a direct hit below that distance, but not explode regardless of what it hits.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: February 09, 2013, 03:13:08 pm »

I've FFed so many people because of that, combined with the strange firing point it has. Guy's head barely visible below me, I fire, LOL FF.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: February 09, 2013, 03:26:52 pm »

apparently the underbarrel GL is firing blank 2/3 of the time. damn annoying.

It has a minimum arming distance of ~10 meters since the last patch, maybe that's what you're experiencing. It will still do quite a bit of damage (750, I think) on a direct hit below that distance, but not explode regardless of what it hits.
I think it's that, indeed. It happens mostly when I'm in jagged rocks and I want to blow up someone's face because I'm no good at close range, and nothing happen, and I get killed. I had fun times playing mortar though.

I also got recol suppressor today, and damn, it works. I got three or four easy kills before lags set in and I had to quit.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: February 09, 2013, 05:04:01 pm »

craaaaaaaaazy lag tonight, infinite afterburner, infinite jetpack, couldnt repair my esf, etc etc.

i think it may have been because indar was maxed out and about 70% of that population was fighting in hexes adjacent to the VS WG :p

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: February 10, 2013, 12:10:59 am »

Of course, hipfiring with anything but an SMG or a shotgun murders your CoF.
You know, CoF is one of the few major issues I have with this game. I realise it's sort of unreasonable to expect anything near a decent level of realism from pretty much any media these days, but the idea of bullets coming out of the barrel in a different direction to that of which the gun is facing just does not sit well with me.

The other one is the lag compensation. Or lack therein. I have a suspicion that all the authoritative hit-boxing is performed on the client side.
Which, of course, explains simultaneously the reason why hacking is such a problem and why it's virtually impossible to tell when someone's lagging and when they aren't.
...It also really works against me. I've noticed that I've been following people's velocities in CQC, firing, and missing because they've suddenly frozen for half a second or jumped a few inches with lag.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:28 am »

Had a long night of playing. That second one was of a mass Gal suicide run another outfit tried on us. Then we swapped to NC alts for a long while, eventually using our Vanguards in the most stereotypically VS way possible: assaulting a base situated on top of a ridgeline. Good times.  :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: February 10, 2013, 01:39:19 am »

You know, CoF is one of the few major issues I have with this game. I realise it's sort of unreasonable to expect anything near a decent level of realism from pretty much any media these days, but the idea of bullets coming out of the barrel in a different direction to that of which the gun is facing just does not sit well with me.

The other one is the lag compensation. Or lack therein. I have a suspicion that all the authoritative hit-boxing is performed on the client side.
Which, of course, explains simultaneously the reason why hacking is such a problem and why it's virtually impossible to tell when someone's lagging and when they aren't.
...It also really works against me. I've noticed that I've been following people's velocities in CQC, firing, and missing because they've suddenly frozen for half a second or jumped a few inches with lag.

Can't tell if trolling... *fryface* no... no... I'm pretty sure now you're just trolling... Nice one Fayrik for a while I thought you were a legitimately disgruntled player.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: February 10, 2013, 03:26:22 am »

Can't tell if trolling... *fryface* no... no... I'm pretty sure now you're just trolling... Nice one Fayrik for a while I thought you were a legitimately disgruntled player.
He's not trolling, I lost the count of the number of times I died while already in cover because for someone out there I wasn't.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: February 10, 2013, 04:34:39 am »

Wasn't so much the lag part... that is a problem, although I think, perhaps a mostly insurmountable one short of just moving every player within a couple miles of the servers.

The cone of fire part, however...

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: February 10, 2013, 07:49:20 am »

The cone of fire part, however...
What's wrong with the cone of fire part? You answer me that I'll happily tell you if I'm trolling or not.  :P

Wasn't so much the lag part... that is a problem, although I think, perhaps a mostly insurmountable one short of just moving every player within a couple miles of the servers.
There are so many ways to fix the problem that really don't require such extreme mesures. Which would likely not work very well at any rate.

I mean, for instance, if they actually are basing hit detection on the client's side (as it appears to me), not only is that massively vulnerable to hacking from the fact that there'd be no reality checks for bullets actually hitting people. Say, if you actually managed to load someone just outside of their warp gate from yours, you could tell the server that was a head shot when you haven't even fired the gun.
But why go to those lengths, and risk getting banned when you can just install a network emulator and set it to give you a constantly high ping?
People would have trouble shooting you as you darted around in jagged teleports, but everyone on your end would remain reactively still, giving you plenty of time to shoot them down, while they're moving behind spawn shields.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: February 10, 2013, 09:59:07 am »

You do realise that the cone of fire is caused by recoil and the weapon shaking as it fires?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: February 10, 2013, 10:32:57 am »

You do realise that the cone of fire is caused by recoil and the weapon shaking as it fires?
No. Cone of fire is a pseudo random direction, originating at the end of the barrel, generated when the weapon is fired.
Recoil on the other hand, causes the gun itself to change direction.

Honestly, this probably isn't really worth arguing over. I don't like it, but hey that's just opinion.
Thankfully it's managed to make up for it in other ways to actually validate spending some time on it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: February 10, 2013, 12:29:18 pm »

Cone of fire represents when a player has insufficient control over the weapon.  Since you're firing from the hip, you don't have any reasonable grip on the weapon, and when you fire, the first bullet has poor aim because of hand-eye-coordination issues (it's difficult to aim the gun at a pinpoint if it's not in line with your eye).  When the first bullet fires, then you compensate for recoil automatically by shaking the weapon downwards, and send consecutive bullets off-target because you don't have a very good hold on a harshly shaking weapon you have a poor grip on.  In this case, recoil is effectively moving in every direction.

For gameplay simplicity, it doesn't show your gun waving in the air, so all you see is a solid cone.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: February 10, 2013, 12:48:23 pm »

Yeah, pretty much that, it's easier to do a stock recoil animation that plays every time you fire and have the CoF work separately from that despite them being connected in reality.

Edit:

I would totally pay cash for this unlock :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:58:40 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: February 10, 2013, 01:34:29 pm »

Yeah, pretty much that, it's easier to do a stock recoil animation that plays every time you fire and have the CoF work separately from that despite them being connected in reality.

Edit:

I would totally pay cash for this unlock :D
This needs to happen.

edit: SOE, we need our new theme music to be official.  :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:36:57 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 826