Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089335 times)

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #6660 on: March 24, 2013, 12:29:35 pm »

and the lancer? the VS one, had damage dropoff so it hits for less at longer distances, which I thought was its entire point, and has some other minor annoyances.  one of which is that its accuracy is a bit lacking, was I think about the same as a sniper rifle while either walking or hip fire, but was increased somewhat, but as it lacks a zoom this probably isn't noticeable
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:34:04 pm by bluejello »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: March 24, 2013, 02:03:46 pm »

I tried out the VS launcher in VR. I'd imagine it would be best used by popping out from cover, do a charged shot, then do 3 non-charge shots before going back behind cover. It seemed 3 non charge shots added up to roughly the same as a single full charge. There was another person VRing it, and we agreed to see how fast we could take out a prowler. With two, it melts armor very fast at close range, noticeably faster than standard rockets. It is quite inaccurate at range, though.

The TR launcher is the hardest to VR, as it requires a lock on an enemy vehicle. Since they are stationary in VR, it seemed quite good, but depending on how it performs against moving targets I'd imagine would determine how effective it is.

The NC launcher seems pretty good if you can find a place to shoot it from behind cover. It also works on the back of the flash; I'd imagine the other launchers do as well. Also, you can't fire it at a very high angle and expect it to maneuver to the ground. It's duration is too short for that combined with limited turning ability. Seems fair to me, though it would be nice if the rocket didn't despawn at the end of camera range as Toaster said.

All in all, judging from VR, they are all useful, though the TR launcher was the hardest to test. I'd say the TR launcher was the weakest of the three, and the VS version the strongest at close range for melting armor if you have another person with you with one, and the NC one has a lot of situations it would be quite useful.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:09:05 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: March 24, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »

I was in a Phoenix squad last night, and it was a blast standing along a wall blasting tanks into shreds as they come.  We put a mighty dent into a VS zerg that way.  I will note that you'll need some support to do that- engineers to throw down ammo and also keep an eye out for infils/LA coming up to blast the rocketeers as they control the FREEDOM MISSILES to their destination.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: March 24, 2013, 02:54:31 pm »

Hey, you cant move while piloting the so-called freedom missile, right?
Time to polish my sniper rifle.  8)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: March 24, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »

the worst part about the VS one is the damage drop off and inaccuracy at range for a sniper type weapon.  need to play a bit more with it to get a better feel for it though.

And the lack of moving targets in VR traning is a bit of a downside for it, even a simple pre-programmed path would work for trying out things on moving targets.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: March 24, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »

It also makes you stand up for whatever reason.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: March 24, 2013, 07:24:15 pm »

I DIE FOR THE NC

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6667 on: March 24, 2013, 07:28:03 pm »

You stand up for freedom.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: March 24, 2013, 07:37:19 pm »

then I fire a AV rocket from my turret to you.  I like that turret, is fun to use.  and just got a grenade launcher under-barrel attachment, so all I need to do is get to a good place to rain death upon my enemies, or die.

I might like it as much as I do due to running on a computer that averages 20 FPS, making surviving when being shot at quite hard, I can just set up the turret somewhere away from the fighting and provide some covering fire.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:49:48 pm by bluejello »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: March 24, 2013, 08:00:59 pm »

You stand up for freedom.
Of course. It's so obvious.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: March 24, 2013, 10:25:47 pm »

What the Freedom Missile reminded me of more than anything else was the super-guided missile from Battletanx: Global Assault (one of the most kickass games ever made). The only difference is that there isn't a laser cannon mounted on the NC missile. I think it's time for a collab between you and us VS types.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6671 on: March 24, 2013, 11:39:08 pm »

I like how the guided missile has a range of 20 meters.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: March 24, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »

I remember that game.

Let me reiterate the awesomeness of Phoenix squads.  One guy calling targets, then that tank/sundy becomes a pile of scrap, repeat.  We gal dropped onto a ridge overlooking a road the TR was zerging along and picked up kill after kill.  None of the vehicles noticed us; just the occasional sniper (who usually got a rocket to the face.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: March 25, 2013, 05:11:26 am »

The other day I was thinking, you know, there ought to be some big reward items captureable to be fought over. I thought that because there doesn't seem to be any goal except cert farms; which, while a noble pursuit, there ought to be something big time to coordinate and defend against like this:

While granted there were a large number of NPCs in that game, I think the mechanics of that system could be translated to PS2. If it were possible to steal worthy items of power from other factions I think it would add another level of striking the enemy to the game.

From my memory, in the old classic Dark Age of Camelot, taking a relic was a very demoralizing thing indeed; as it meant the enemy realm had beat not only a stiff AI/NPC defense, but the player characters who could turn the tide as well. Thus it was often attempted at odd hours and secrecy was sometimes the utmost of importance. I myself took part in several of these raids, after being advised to avoid both legitimate in game player scouts and the less threatening and more questionable cross-faction accounting spies, which were both known to be a part of the game.

For instance, I remember sneaking with a 200 person group under the radar so to speak, past the automated NPC guard patrols; having to mesmerize with the magic in that game so they sit still in place while we moved on, most of us peons sitting stuttering in terrible framerate /stuck to one another through game commands so as not to be left behind while the leaders did the crowd control on patrols, as killing even a single one would send a broadcast report to the enemy realm, including the number of intruders in the area. This was only to minimize the amount of time the enemy realm was aware of the attempt, and thus muster a defense, since the relic fortress was the most imposing realm vs realm fortress, and was deep inside unfriendly territory very near to their respawn location. The number of NPC guards lessened in the Relic fort as lesser forts were taken in the frontier, thus either a total conquer of the lands was advised, or a sneak attack as described and a blockade by a token force of elite heroes of their route to the fort.

Now that there are more internet users and computer capability I think that is well past what would happen, and NPCs aren't really needed to fill in the gaps, though I would welcome some AI to get killed by if it was equal for all the realms and well designed to be utilized by defenders rather than only to be a pain in the ass of a certain number of attackers. Maybe respawning AI 'conscripts' that follow you around the relic base while shooting inaccurately or only using the rocket launcher or something. That said though, I think the current system of only players shooting each other would be fine, if the base was defensible enough. With the current system perhaps locking a continent could allow access to a base where something of value to the whole realm is to be looted. Perhaps it shouldn't be terribly strong, as without a constant AI defense an enterprising player or squad would probably find a way to sneak away with it with less contest than it deserves at some point.

If AI/NPCs/base defense are added in the future, I'd suggest more powerful relics guarded by a formidable realm NPC force, so as to encourage whole realms having to turn out and work together to even have a hope at assaulting the other realms.

VR might be a good place for the devs to practice having NPCs moving around and stuff, since it would be useful for people in VR to have stuff moving around anyways.

What kind of relics would be the question, any ideas? Daoc had relics that gave +10% damage to melee or magic across the board, all three realms had a magic and melee relic, and they stacked with each other. Perhaps in PS2 you could use in game resources to obtain expendables or something by controlling the relic that produces the backstory ingredients.

Perhaps even it could unlock cosmetics, like colored smokes or camos.

Or extra abilities to go in one of your equip slots, across the whole realm.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:49:32 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: March 25, 2013, 08:52:00 am »

Historically speaking, persistent world MMOs with 'capture items that actually matter' become weird really fast.  It's generally too easy to slip in at 2am and steal the sacred relic while the enemy faction is offline.  If the guards are NPCs then it becomes a dungeon chase and not really an MMO issue anymore.  If the guards are PCs then the entire faction relies on 'who's the least nooby person standing blankly at the vault?' because let's face it, guard duty is boring.  It doesn't earn you certs to guard a position (and if you DO earn certs for standing in place, then that's a whole new can of worms) and you don't even get to actually play the game you're playing. 

The only way I could reliably see this working, is if you had to push the capture tiles onto the enemy's warpgate, because this way the whole faction is involved.  Once you are adjacent to the warpgate, then you would have to activate 2-3 keys, such as the ACUs and Generators in whatever bases, they could be tripped by an enemy, and repaired by an ally.  Once all keys are activated, then the defended faction loses their buff, and the attackers steal it.

I'd imagine that each warpgate would have some sort of power core (how else would they maintain those MASSIVE shields?) and have abilities to draw and redirect power.  When you manage to win off an enemy's warp gate as listed above, then your warp gate would leach power off the enemy's to make itself more powerful.  These could be different buffs, like +5% exp to that continent.  Each core could start out with multiple charges as well, or more likely, each would have 1, so any given faction could earn 3.  Or I'd rather see, each faction has 2 charges, and each gives +2% exp.  When one faction has their charge stolen, it cannot be stolen again for 12-24 hours, to prevent them from being swarmed and to give them time to reclaim territory and fortify.

Ideally, this would tie into owning a continent.  Once one faction owned all the charges, then they got the -10% purchase cost and 24 hours later the charges reset for each faction.  Ah, early morning speculation...
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 826