Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089253 times)

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7110 on: April 26, 2013, 11:16:37 am »

Alright so in order to figure out how to best those pesky liberators I've decided to figure out how to use them. Spot their weaknesses things I'm doing wrong when I'm the one piloting the thing. Naturally I won't be able to experience the gunner role much, seeing as you rarely have other players waiting for you to man their gun. I rarely have anyone who wants to man my gun in fact, rather odd...

Anyho wich certs do you guys reccomend? Flares seem like a nobrainer, but I am honestly considering the ejection system or afterburner. Nanite repair for defense looks good given how flak armor only gives a measly 10%, and I think the precision bomber would suit me best for performance. As for weapons the tank buster dalton and walker seem nice.

Getting the hang of handling it a bit. Not to much different from an ESF, so long as you take in account the wonky movements when rolling past a 90 angle. Have even been able to fly it upside down already. My escape manouver underneath a biolab didn't turn out to good though.  :P

The biggest difference from ESFs, I think is the much increased hover and descend power. I am usually flying at an angle while smashing the hover button(space default, I think?? I use crazy keybindings because I'm crazy... but I'm sure it'll change when they add an option to change mouse x to yaw instead of roll)

I have precision bomber 3, Afterburner 1 or 2, and vehicle stealth. actually, I have auto repair almost maxed out, but I find it easier to sneak up on a base with just the first level of stealth. I'm not going to bother with the rest of the levels, and honestly, I'm probably going to switch back to auto repair. Afterburner is a life saver, every time. Precision bomber feels like you're flying an esf, except that your hover is much more powerful. And you fall much quicker while upside down.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7111 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:34 am »

One recommendation I saw is to have the thrust performance perk for the liberator, and then to fly sideways at great speed and shoot everything that attacks you with the main cannon.

There was a video I saw of someone doing this with the Shredder. Apparently it's a really good against ESFs.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7112 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »

People who have certed into the liberator do love getting gunners, its just there aren't that many people who've done it.

Its also a really bad time when you get your lib out you fly around and your gunner sucks. Which is hard to imagine its point and click! So yeah, outfits with a lot of pilots are probably your best bet, just ask around. All lib gunners should be in constant communication with their pilot, mics are good for business.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7113 on: April 26, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »

its not really point and click, you have to accomodate for shell drop, while moving in three dimensions and probably rotating too.

using a dalton is much much harder than firing a MBT cannon, since you've got the extra axis of movement to compensate for, and you never know when your pilot is gonna change direction

also theres not really much reason to even use a dalton, imho. zephyrs can take out tanks with relative ease anyway, and the dalton is harder to use because of the lower mag size, and it being useless against infantry

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7114 on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:07 pm »

Dalton's best use is as an anti aircraft gun.

It one shots ESF's and can drop galaxies in good time.

I've never felt the liberator mortars to be that hard to control, I found them to be easier than tank cannons to use since you don't have to bother yourself with driving around and evading.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7115 on: April 26, 2013, 02:05:54 pm »

You also don't have to worry about every little rock that you drive over throwing your aim off.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7116 on: April 26, 2013, 02:07:13 pm »

I just remember getting in the lib for the first time and wondering where the bombing sight was...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7117 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:34 pm »

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7118 on: April 26, 2013, 05:27:14 pm »

People who have certed into the liberator do love getting gunners, its just there aren't that many people who've done it.

Its also a really bad time when you get your lib out you fly around and your gunner sucks. Which is hard to imagine its point and click! So yeah, outfits with a lot of pilots are probably your best bet, just ask around. All lib gunners should be in constant communication with their pilot, mics are good for business.

I knoooow, of the few randoms that have hopped in for a ride almost every single one seemed to be completely oblivious as to what to do.
This last time I snuck up on an enemy liberator hovering over a base from above. Just a few inches hovering perfectly still above the enemy lib and I had to type out to the gunner to shoot the damn liberator. I ended up having to reposition and just do it myself with the nosegun.
Every single time I end up more effective one manning the thing, switching to secondary for a few shots before I lose altitude, climb back up rinse repeat. Must be only the complete idiots who dare to hop in a random lib.  ::)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7119 on: April 26, 2013, 07:01:20 pm »

This is just one reason I love my outfit, we're all pilots, every one of us can fly the lib, and most of us can gun.

I'm a pretty good gunner if I say so myself.

Still, the key is good communication and everyone knowing what they're doing, the pilot better know how to look for targets and when to start getting out of the area when taking flak. The gunner better tell the pilot when he's got a good sight on enemies and when to move.

I wish there was a feature where the lib pilot could see a screen of what the gunner was seeing, even if its just in the cockpit view, it would be tremendously helpful.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7120 on: April 26, 2013, 08:00:37 pm »

So many times as a gunner in a lib or gal and I have bashed a target down to about 10% health and the pilot decides to hit the afterburner and the recipient of so much FreedomTM gets to survive.[/pissed off]

Also.  Purchased the second burster and ripping aircraft faster than before, it is wonderful.  One lucky engy doing the repair rounds while I was ruining the duco on some scythes, actually dropped an ammo-pack for me and whenever he heard me start up firing, he'd come back and drop a new one, keeping me supplied for almost an hour, he only had to repair my MAX once when an infil snuck up on us.
  Odd thing is, the burster with the ex-mag has 210 ammo-pool, while the new burster has 224 ammo-pool, the addition of the ex-mag has really fucked up the MAX at the moment.  I think the extra ammo-cannisters I'm investing in must also be completely throwing things off.  I'll take them off today and look at the results, see if I can nail down which bits are causing the problem.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7121 on: April 26, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »

I have no idea what it is, but when I get into the pilot seat of a lib, I set myself up on a date with the ground.  I seriously think I've never been shot down in a lib- I just crash it.

Reaver, sure, I'm up to merely "lame" skill level instead of "terrible," but libs I absolutely cannot fly.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: April 26, 2013, 09:58:30 pm »

Odd thing is, the burster with the ex-mag has 210 ammo-pool, while the new burster has 224 ammo-pool, the addition of the ex-mag has really fucked up the MAX at the moment.  I think the extra ammo-cannisters I'm investing in must also be completely throwing things off.  I'll take them off today and look at the results, see if I can nail down which bits are causing the problem.
IIRC, that's how it's meant to work. You have the same total number of rounds, just that you start with an extra 14 of them in the gun.

Or you are meant to. I know there was a bug in VR with the scat cannons where you started without the extended magazine loaded and had to reload every time you resupplied, but I can't remember if that changed your ammo pool or not.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7123 on: April 26, 2013, 10:19:41 pm »

I think you are right.
Once you've spawned the MAX and reloaded to fill up the ex-mag, you have 8 reloads for the non-extended and 5 reloads for the extended.  It just fucks up that first time and afterwards it works properly.
It still needs to be fixed.

Also.  I hope they add some Optics to the MAX, every vehicle weapon can purchase magnification, thermal and NV, the classes can purchase scopes to improve different vision aspects, so why not the MAX?  It's not like the MAX is OP, is it?

{All of my kills with the Bursters so far have been infantry...}
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7124 on: April 27, 2013, 07:45:19 pm »

I believe I could fly decently,  if I didn't get horrid framerates when I tried to do so.

some of the reason why a MAX lacks optics is you can't really put it on the right mouse button, can you?  I guess you could put it on the middle mouse if it comes to that...
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 [475] 476 477 ... 826