Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089786 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7965 on: July 06, 2013, 12:35:59 pm »

I've had decent results with AI turret when providing covering fire for advancing allies. Enemies can't really afford to focus on me because my allies will then freely advance into their ranks.

Anyway, is there any ETA for that ESF update?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: July 06, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »

Is there ever a time of day when the NC aren't outnumbered in major conflict on the map? And I don't just mean total population, I mean that anything that NC tries to take is soon met with at minimum of 1:1 reinforcement force and often much more than that.

I can't imagine what it would be like to play TR, who I presume are just completely forgotten about 90% of the time.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: July 06, 2013, 01:36:57 pm »

Wich server is this on? Here on cobalt there's plenty of NC, but most of them are incompetent and cannot deal with the VS without outnumbering them.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: July 06, 2013, 01:38:25 pm »

Matheson. I forgot that PS2 isn't a one-server game.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: July 06, 2013, 02:20:25 pm »

Huh, you'd expect the US servers to have lotsa NC, space murica and all that.

I'm practicing my single man lib skills, pretty fun! Requires you set your lib just right so it doesn't spin out of controle when you enter the belly gun, and taking aim within a second. A lot of micromanagement and very clunky, but surprisingly effective for a one man effort. Might do this more often if I'm sitting on a lot of aerospace resources.
Just got to work on fighting esf this way, definatly challenging in regards to both piloting and gunning.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: July 06, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »

Welp my friend has been Unbanned but is now Monitored for what ever reason they feel that he had cheated. Which still in itself impossible...
I wish they could at least say, "We banned you cause you were flagged for Aimbotting" or something, I mean come on. Still who is to say what is Skill or what is hacks...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: July 06, 2013, 03:06:35 pm »

One more note on engineers.

The turret IS their roadblock.  It'll stop any vehicle dead, including aircraft.  Two magriders were coming in to the underpass of a tech plant, so I threw down the turret to see if I could get a couple shots off.  I had to split, but one tank rammed the turret- and got rejected up at a 45 degree angle, providing everyone else plenty of time to blow it to chunks.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: July 06, 2013, 08:37:30 pm »

Question time, guys.....

So, imagine you are a Vanoob HA, BR 7, so, yes a real noob.  You are running up a hill in Northern Weigh Station and there's about twelve other Vanoobs on a neighbouring hill shooting like madmen providing covering fire, there's also a couple of magmowers, a sunderer and several lightnings all spewing plasma at the defensive tower.
   'THWACK'  Something really solid and ballistic-like smacks into the top of your head, so you keep running up that hill.
   'THWACK'  Another thing that's just as solid and ballistic hits the top of your head.  You decide it must be coincidence and keep running, without dodging, bunny-hopping or even pausing to look around.

Question: did he deserve that third solid-slug from my Sweeper in the top of his head, the one that killed him?

{And the other Vanoobs across the way had worse aim than any Star Wars storm-trooper in any film, including then next two my Sweeper ventilated.  I wish I had taken screenshots of the sheets of purple energy coming across from the hill, it was everywhere.  The worst damage I took was to lose my shields and two bars of actual health - I must save up the 1k certs and get the last level of nano-weave for my engineer}.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: July 06, 2013, 08:53:31 pm »

Wich server is this on? Here on cobalt there's plenty of NC, but most of them are incompetent and cannot deal with the VS without outnumbering them.
It could have something to do with what seems to be SOE's method of balancing:
VS is OP? Nerf NC.
TR is OP? Nerf NC.
NC is OP? NERF DAT NC INTO OBLIVION!

Bug makes some VS weapon more effective against TR?  Nerf NC!

I kid, but it seems like the biggest part is that they listen to the idiots screaming on the forums because they got killed by someone playing NC.  And because it seems whenever I'm in a platoon with NC, and trying to take somewhere, we suddenly have at least two of that factions platoons, and often a surprise third faction platoon.  Especially when there's an alert.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: July 06, 2013, 09:15:26 pm »

I think it has more to do with the NC mindset of being loners, resulting in most of the faction being disorganised and chaotic - but individually, they are highly skilled and effective, Armok-help the server if the NC ever decided to lower their standards and get organised.

Last night on Briggs, the alert came through to capture and hold the three working toilets Amp Stations on Esamir - NC held Freyr and was already trying to take over Nott and Eli, which was converting, we had 40% continent pop.  30 minutes into the alert, we were pushed out of Nott and Eli by the Vanoobs, the TR were all jumping into their VS alts expecting a whitewash, the NC barely held onto Freyr until the end.

It was after this alert that the events of my previous post transpired.  Also, I have now shot down three Scythes with the Phalanx AV cannon, and one Mozzie by-proxy, (I didn't one-shot the mozzie, but the pilot bailed).
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: July 07, 2013, 02:33:40 am »

Things I like:
-Losing
-Being outnumbered by purple assholes
-Losing alerts by huge margins

VS won a biolab alert with seven biolabs. NC and TR held one. Population count at the end was 43% VS, 29% TR, 28% NC.

Tonight was the night that Connery became Mattherson.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: July 07, 2013, 09:47:27 am »

So i have my AV mana turret. HOWEVER now i'm thinking about a AA unit... And i'm torn between Skyguard and Striker.

The skyguard is obviously the go to mobile AA platform...
BUT
It's also a far bigger target for ESF/Liberators to blow up.
And it has a cooldown... and cost mech res.

Then there's AA max but it still costs resources and it's probably not as good as the skyguard and costs inf res (something i'm not overflowing with since i'm playing engy) and can't do jack if enemy vehicles attack (the skyguard could at least run like a pansy).

And last but not least...

Get a striker for my Infantry dude.
Excelent availbility.
Can take out both Air and ground.
Con be a monster against infantry due to his shield and main gun.

but...

Umm... he's infantry and squishy?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: July 07, 2013, 10:00:09 am »

An awesome spot for the AV turret is behind those stupid-too-small-windows, like in a lot of tower-A-point-rooms. I was not a fan of my AV, but using it as an AI sniper gun is actually pretty cool...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: July 07, 2013, 10:47:17 am »

In my opinion get the skyguard. If only because the AV mana turret is super cheesy, and so is the striker. Purchasing two of these really lame weapons in a row is just incredible cheese.
When I'm looking at a death recap filled with strikers I have the habit of noting the names, getting in the infantry fight and hunting the players in question down relentlessly. Very satisfying.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13:27 pm »

I have both bursters for my MAX and the Skyguard. I wanted them both to cover different situations in organised play. At a guess I've pulled them both about the same but not gotten all that much use from either.

The MAX is far more diversely useful, even if slightly less so than it has been in the past. I certainly wanted the option to fill all three role (AI/AA/AV) once I've spent the resource cost for a MAX, so even if I rarely bother with a dedicated AA role I want the option.

The Skyguard works well with my racer 3 Lightning, but I wouldn't pull it unless I was part of a substantial ground force. It's too vulnerable to other tanks and easily focused if stuck on it's own. You want to be able to focus on hitting air targets before they can focus on you, not worrying about infantry or tanks getting the drop on you while looking up.

Remember that the Striker will be nerfed (along with all lock-on launchers) with the next update. That's a big investment to lose value.

I'd also mention that a Sunderer with two Walker turrets is a viable anti-air tool. You give up a lot of anti-infantry and vehicle potential, but if you are running an ammo Sunderer along with an armour column then you can essentially replace a Skyguard, so long as you have two competent gunners and some coordination (eg, don't try to make them hit ESFs while you drive over bumps). Only 250 certs for each gun, so affordable even if you rarely use the option. More common is one Walker with an anti-infantry weapon in the other slot. I just feel that isn't enough damage against air targets to actually do much and just an invitation for them to focus on you even before other Sunderers. Better off just with two Basilisks in that case.
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 826