Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089589 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #7980 on: July 07, 2013, 12:35:11 pm »

Remember that the Striker will be nerfed (along with all lock-on launchers) with the next update. That's a big investment to lose value.

This.  I'd suggest waiting and seeing how this update pans out.

Just keep playing a lot today and get enough certs for both!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: July 07, 2013, 02:24:14 pm »

If you can't aim, or play infiltrator to preserve your K/D, or feel like waving your dick around, or just hate people in general, get a Striker.

Striker Summary
Advantages: Good at everything.
Disadvantages: ???
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: July 07, 2013, 02:55:57 pm »

Unlike the normal lock ons, you can't dumb fire the striker. Not a big deal, but it's nice in close quarters situations.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: July 07, 2013, 02:57:22 pm »

Striker Summary
Advantages: Good at everything.
Disadvantages: ???
This is quite a problem. I think we should nerf the NC to solve it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: July 07, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »

So i read the PS2 forum about the striker.

Apparently the rockets hit the ground when aircraft fly low enough with their nose pointing at the ground.
So yeah...

I'm upgrading the racer airframe on my mossie now... I'm going to turn it into a speed demon... hopefully it'l be able to outrun missiles  ;D.
300 certs to go.

Ah and i read on the wiki that the primary lightening gun (viper 75) has shells that double up as flak shells (IE explode in the air) so they might be a poor mans alternative fot the skyguard...
Then again the gun elevation is pretty darn poor on it but i guess that's what you get if you want a universal weapon.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: July 07, 2013, 04:36:14 pm »

I don't know what wiki you are reading... It is possible to hit ESFs with Viper shells, but it's hard and they don't do much damage. I have managed at most two hits out of a full salvo and didn't get the kill. It's slightly easier to hit since they improved the drop on the shells, but the velocity and accuracy are still pretty naff.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: July 07, 2013, 04:38:38 pm »

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Lightning

"It is fitted with a cannon that is useful for both air and ground targets at 2 rounds per second which can explode like flak cannons."
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: July 07, 2013, 04:47:54 pm »

Huh, just looked at the pages for the Viper itself on that and the other wiki and neither had anything about that. Also every discussion about AA Lightnings has either been about the Skyguard or how the AP turret should one-shot ESFs.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: July 07, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »

a lot of the problem with balancing I believe is due to the players thinking in a lone wolf type approach to things, while the game ends up having a lot more than just one of each class at a base that is being taken over.  A bit hard to make a plane be able to survive flying and not blow up above a battlefield and still have the ability to kill it outside of large fights...

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: July 07, 2013, 11:24:44 pm »

In my opinion, it's simple to balance, but would require a ton of work. Get a real flight model.  Retain current levels of HP and armor and increase missile and main gun damage.  Reduce flak inaccuracy and reduce missile lock time, because ESF are going to be going a lot faster.  Like, a lot.  The A10 "Warthog" has a cruising speed of 560 kph.  The F35 has a top speed of 2000 kph.  Even the Super Tucano, a regular turboprop aircraft has a cruising speed of 500 kph.  There you go.  ESF that is viable in both big battles and small ones, because killing them is dependent on spotting them coming in for their CAS run, which they have to do at an oblique angle or they'll crash.  They can no longer do the arbitrary flips and drops, because inertia and lift.  Air superiority matters more, because it is actually hard to spot incoming aircraft and uncontested air superiority allows the more damaging CAS free reign.   A2A combat suddenly isn't a mess of who can do the cutest flips and twirls in the air and is dependent on real maneuvering and air tactics. Real air combat maneuvers would be a lot more exciting than what's in game right now.  Mossies and reavers turn into dedicated energy fighters, while the scythe becomes the turn fighter.

A helicopter model could work, but I imagine most people would rather fly fast with a few armaments, than have Hinds or Havocs and need to hug the ground to evade AA.

I guess it's makes SOE squeamish to consider balancing by making things more realistic, but the root of the ESF problems is that they completely ignore physics.  The mossie and reaver can do bizarre maneuvers that would stall any legit jet aircraft and cause any helicopter to plummet from the sky and I don't think even the scythe has the agrav that would make such maneuvers possible.  That completely borks A2A combat and lets you do absurd things like use the lib's howitzer as an aa gun.  The same borked non-existent physics let ESF hover with their nose pointed directly down, allowing it to do what should be the domain of Liberators and heavy armor.  If they ever bring us gunship galaxies, what is the point of certing them if you can provide just as much fire support in 5 ESF?  1250 certs is easier than the 6000 or more they'll want for a special role galaxy.

TLDR: ESF are kings of all trades, due to PHYSICS.

I guess I should just go play ARMA3.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34:42 pm »

Well, they're all basically super helicopters aren't they? Not actual planes.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: July 07, 2013, 11:39:58 pm »

I guess that's supposed to be the idea.  Should super helicopters be able to fly upside down and hold position with the fuselage vertical to the ground?  I don't think so.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: July 08, 2013, 01:28:10 am »

Yeah, I'm with Rez here. I'd prefer air combat a hell of a lot more if it were dependent on POSSIBLE maneuvers rather than who can do the fastest hovering-upside-down-360s.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: July 08, 2013, 02:32:11 am »

Same, but mostly because I'm not terrible with more realistic flight models than the current one. Can't seem to break the habit of treating them like real aircraft.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: July 08, 2013, 03:02:27 am »

Alright, double XP weekend is over. Tally 'em up. How many certs did you get?

I got around 2700.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 826