Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089981 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8685 on: November 30, 2013, 07:13:18 pm »

Probably not a good idea. You have to learn what is good and what isn't -- things that are 1,000 certs aren't always good. For example, the best shotgun is probably the 250 cert option, and while I'm not so familiar with TR carbines, the NC and VS 250s are really good.

As for the map/doritos, you can specify which color each faction appears as, so if you want everything TR to be red, you can do that. If you want everything friendly to be blue, and NC to be yellow, you can also do that. If you want to make the VS hot pink, go nuts.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: November 30, 2013, 07:37:03 pm »

I take it I basically shouldn't be spending certs on things unless they cost 1000. The idea being that these things, being so expensive, are ostensibly the "best" things (or at least the most useful or with the most bells and whistles). Examples include the skyguard for the lightning, dalton gun for the lib, vulcan for the prowler, rocket pods, the AT/AA launcher for TR, dual bursters, etc. Exceptions include low-end infantry/suit upgrades, such as health, armor, max's offhand weapon, etc. Is this logical?
Largely, no. Few 1000 cert buys are essential or even all that worthwhile. Many open up new play styles while others are simply preference choices, but you can get by without most of them quite handily. All the ones you list offer new options to play with, but you are only likely to use each of them a few times a week unless you commit hard to that playstyle. Other upgrades are less sexy but will see use every hour in casual play.

As a rule I'd say upgrade the class/vehicle before buying new toys unless you need the toy to make the class viable. For example, I don't snipe so held off on most infiltrator upgrades till I owned an SMG. Some people build their lightning completely around the Skyguard.

I'd say the best bang for your certs are the mid range or cheaper top end upgrades.

Buying either a regen kit (30 certs) or preferably the medi kit (50 certs) lets you equip it on any class not carrying another utility item (usually an explosive). Worth grabbing early. Treat as an extra life when you barely escape an engagement, or as a win button when you and an opponent have traded but not killed and you want to re-engage after healing.

Similarly buy a suppressor for the default pistol. 100 certs and now every class has a silenced weapon they can use to execute enemies without showing up on the mini-map.

Every vehicle weapon has a 1 cert point zoom scope and 1 cert point ammo capacity upgrade. Buy them and equip them on everything. A 1.25x zoom and few extra rounds can make a world of difference if things get hot. On any vehicles you use a lot buy the 1.5x zoom for 50 certs and as many ammo capacity upgrades as you can. 91 certs, rank 4, +40% capacity is a nice sweet spot.

Nanoweave/flak armour 4 on any given class is 211 certs. The max level is 1k certs on top of that, but rank 4 gives you a nice survivability boost. Remember nanoweave is changing soon but is going to be refunded when it happens.

Broken down by class...

Medic;
Medical Applicator (medic gun, AKA best cert source as infantry) is 690 to max (worth it), but rank 4 only 190 total and Nano-Regen Device (AOE/self heal) is only 291 total, 200 in the last rank. While it may seem a support build, it's one of the most dominant solo classes out there. Infinite, rapidly regenerating self heal? The option to quickly and safely (thanks to extended range) revive a meat shield to distract enemies? Throw on nanoweave and grab a fun gun and you are laughing. TR medics are particularly nasty.

Engineer;
Nano Armour Kit (repair gun) is roughly equivalent to the medic's applicator, but less essential to max out as you don't gain range/revive health. I'd say grab rank 4 if you ever play engineer, take rank 5 when you spend a lot of time driving/MAX-sitting. The ammo pack is oddly expensive to upgrade, but worthwhile. You get a boosted range for rank 3 onwards, letting you feed ammo to more and more people while overriding other people's own packs. I'd say invest the 160 certs for that, maybe 150 to boost it to 5m range and 4min duration. Sticky grenades and the mines (especially tank mines) are well worthwhile and pretty cheap.

Light assault;
Jump jets are frankly worth maxing out. 810 certs total, 500 in the final upgrade. You are looking at a substantial fuel increase, letting you reach higher and use the jets more often. This is a huge advantage when playing rooftop tag in biolabs. I maxed this after being frustrated by not keeping up too often. C4 is great value even if seemingly expensive.

Heavy assault;
Upgrade the nano-mesh generator to at least rank 3 for 31 certs. Only a 10% regen boost, but that's not nothing and it's cheap. Concussion grenades are a must if you ever want to use HA to melt a room of infantry/MAXes.

Infiltrator;
Recon Detect Device is worth upgrading. Recently got a buff and is seeing a lot more use. The lower ranks aren't great compared to the higher, but they are still worth grabbing at 30/50 for 2/3. Similarly upgrading your cloak makes a lot of sense, especially the 10 certs for 10% regen rate. If you plan on playing much infiltrator then go to at least rank 5 at 310 certs total. No real reason not to buy the improved hacking speed either. Anti-Personnel Mines are a good buy as well.

On another note, I feel playing TR is almost a bit of interface screw. Objects in the minimap are colored according to faction, but in the game view they're colored only by friend/foe - which means TR's stuff looks like it belongs to NC stuff because it's blue, while NC's stuff is red because they're an enemy. It took me a while to realize this was why I kept getting turned around while looking for terminals and points of interest.
You can change the colours used in the menu. I have mine set to faction colours for everything. Keeps it simple. I have also changed my platoon colours to more obvious and distinct ones (can be done by clicking on the Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/Delta squad label in the platoon screen when that squad exists). Used to be I shot a lot of Charlie members...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: November 30, 2013, 07:47:35 pm »

I'd work on upgrading some of the other classes before you start going 1337 SMG infiltrator pro.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: November 30, 2013, 08:01:12 pm »

I'm a big fan of extra rockets when playing HA with a lock-on launcher.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: November 30, 2013, 08:52:51 pm »

I have done of the low-end survival and utility upgrades on engi and medic - the two classes I play the most, given their utility and the fact that I kind of suck at the whole "shooting" part, especially in a dogpile. I've considered upgrading my machine since it's about due and shooting for a smooth 60 outside of melee and a tolerable 20 (rather than the ~30 with it occasionally chugging down to 0 even when I'm driving around on my own, and ~5 in biolabs) seems like a good goal to shoot for, performance-wise.

My question came as a result some frustration in dealing with vehicles and especially air. I feel like none of the default equipment is useful against them. All you've got is the assault's dumbfire launcher and the only time I ever hit anything with it is if I get lucky judging the distance and thus elevation (something that would improve with practice to be sure) and if the target absolutely doesn't move at all. Obviously that's not going to happen for air, so I need to buy something to help with that, but why should I buy a low-end solution now when there are more effective ones that would completely replace those interim solutions? And since I'm not buying boosts or subbing, I need to be cautious how I spend the certs. But of course, those effective solutions are necessarily quite a grind...

I'm staying the heck away from the regular non-default weapons (pistols, shotguns, rifles, etc) since I have no way to reliably judge what's better (for me or generally so) and what's not. I know the VR is there but that is not helpful. I don't want to drop certs on something that ends up feeling no more effective than the default guns.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 08:55:06 pm by Niveras »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: November 30, 2013, 08:55:16 pm »

Engies turret can be good.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: November 30, 2013, 09:18:09 pm »

You start with one burster arm for your MAX, as well. But yeah, get either a lockon launcher or a second burster arm if you want to spec in AA.

Also relevant: SMG is good. SMG is life. SMG with thermal scope is murder. That's the brilliant part, is that they aren't really effective beyond the range of the thermal scope, and it gives you a great way to scan crowded environments.

The Vanu MAXs aren't just good due to their hyperspeed/damage boost, or their pseudo-camo, their weapons aren't that bad either. Or rather, they're pretty specific at what they do, but they're not completely useless in other roles. AA can do a bit of AI, AT can do a lot of AI (even after the nerf)
You're acting like that isn't true for all MAXes. You do realize that all factions have the same bursters, right? And that all of the AT weapons can kill infantry?

Unrelated: Loving the patch so much. It's wonderful to see where my tank is being murdered from, and I've been cleaning up with my HE Lightning. On that topic, don't bother getting HEAT or AP cannons for it, you'll never outDPS a competent MBT, and you lose the ability to slaughter infantry or air.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8692 on: November 30, 2013, 09:26:45 pm »

Not sure about the TR AV, but the NC AV kinda sucks. Dual Ravens are okay, but Falcons blow. Their velocity is slow enough to make the VS AV weapons seem like hit scan weapons, and the damage they deal when you actually manage to hit something is mediocre. VS AV are almost good against infantry, but the NC AV might as well just try punching infantry.

I'm talking about MAX weapons, of course.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: November 30, 2013, 09:41:42 pm »

I've been killed plenty by AV TR MAXes. Admittedly, I never see NC MAXes that aren't either dual scat or dual bursters, so that probably explains it.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: November 30, 2013, 09:52:48 pm »

You havent seen me.

I still have a scat I have to use.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8695 on: November 30, 2013, 10:06:40 pm »

Fractures are good, Pounders are terrible.

If Fractures were any more point and click they would be VS weapons lololololololol

Oh yeah, just had a fun event with my outfit.

GALAXY WRESTLING

Wherein everybody goes to the VR, pulls a galaxy, and competes battle royale style to be the last gal flying.

The prize was 1500 SC. Sadly, I was not victorious.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: November 30, 2013, 11:07:21 pm »

would be nice if i didn't crash every 10 minutes, without any error to go off of

that aside, when about should i start saving up for an SMG for my infiltrator? let's just assume i haven't upgraded anything else

Reminder- you can buy the NS SMG on the website for 199 SC (or two bucks) right now, if you've dropped any cash on the game.  You get a camo and a 1 day XP boost to go with it.

Maybe one day they'll un-nerf the Falcon and they'll be useful again.  I bought the second one when the price dropped.  On rare occasion I'll pull it and do some good with it.  I don't like the ravens enough to justify the large expense on them.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: November 30, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »

would be nice if i didn't crash every 10 minutes, without any error to go off of

that aside, when about should i start saving up for an SMG for my infiltrator? let's just assume i haven't upgraded anything else

Reminder- you can buy the NS SMG on the website for 199 SC (or two bucks) right now, if you've dropped any cash on the game.  You get a camo and a 1 day XP boost to go with it.

Yes, do this. I personally prefer my Sirius, but the one in that great little bundle is still respectable, and certainly better than a carbine for CQC.

Joking or not, the one complaint about VS that I've never understood is the "point & click" one. VS gets no bullet drop (for non-sniper weapons). They still have recoil, and they still have travel time, and to top it off VS guns have sharp damage dropoff at longer ranges. The only time I bother taking small arms shots at ~>50m for anything other than suppression is when I'm playing medic and have my NS-11 out.

There's some merit in the ZOE complaints (though I'd still rather just have a kickass MAX jumpjet) and a tiny bit in bitching about Mags (though the people who complain about them have clearly never driven one since the past few updates; the turn rate is absolutely dreadful, which kills one of the two main advantages they should have). They've basically been reduced to direct-fire artillery because any other vehicle that gets close can literally run circles around them and still deal damage thanks to turrets, if they don't just drive underneath and kill the mag with impunity.

Unrelated: The Flash still needs a buff, or at least an upgrade that stops it from flipping and exploding if you drive over a 1" bump.

3. Run Resize Enable

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: December 01, 2013, 01:23:08 am »

remember, you can trial weapons for 30 minutes, you do this by clicking the unlock button then selecting start trial at the bottom.

I think you get some SC from registering to other games by the same company.

Also, the default pistol for vanu is very accurate, and I don't use it nearly enough I think. 

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8699 on: December 01, 2013, 03:49:02 am »

Joking or not, the one complaint about VS that I've never understood is the "point & click" one. VS gets no bullet drop (for non-sniper weapons). They still have recoil, and they still have travel time, and to top it off VS guns have sharp damage dropoff at longer ranges. The only time I bother taking small arms shots at ~>50m for anything other than suppression is when I'm playing medic and have my NS-11 out.

I just joke about it, but it does make shooting at range much easier. The only thing you have to account for is target movement.

I'm pretty sure that the VS have the same damage drop off that the other factions have though - That is, after 15 meters it decreases linearly until it reaches minimum damage. VS used to have an entirely different drop off calculation that gave them much higher damage at longer ranges, but SOE wisened up and nerfed it.

Their special AV projectiles are ridiculously fast compared to the NC and TR though.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 826