Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089430 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #8835 on: December 09, 2013, 10:50:26 pm »

Scopes don't increase or decrease recoil, but when you're zoomed in 3.4x the effects of recoil are much more noticeable. I think recoil is also more difficult to compensate for while zoomed in.

This is why the 1x and 2x scopes are the best scopes.

Speaking of having 100 certs, which should I grab first for my Armistice, between soft point ammo and extended mag? I was thinking the latter.

. . .

ALSO, barrel attachments y/n? Seems like they come with a bit of negatives.

Soft Point Ammo.

Then Advanced Laser Sight. Or Extended Mags, whichever you prefer. (Advanced Laser Sight to get really really really good hipfire.)

Suppressor if you're an infiltrator and expect that you'll be running behind enemy lines shooting people with it. Otherwise, run it without it. The velocity penalty and max damage range penalty are too severe if you're not worrying about showing up on the minimap.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:08 pm »

Speaking of having 100 certs, which should I grab first for my Armistice, between soft point ammo and extended mag? I was thinking the latter.

Also, do certain scopes add more recoil or something? I felt like I get less when I have no scope on, which kind of deters me from wanting to grab one.

ALSO, barrel attachments y/n? Seems like they come with a bit of negatives.
It depends on how many shots you land. If you're confident in your aim, get the ammo.

Re: Scopes, I'd suggest the NV scope. It's pretty much perfect for SMGs both because of the reason discussed earlier, because it provides wonderful vision, and because its effective range is about the same as that of the gun.

Re: Barrel attachments, I'd roll with the suppressor once you've got the rest kitted out, but it's not a priority.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: December 10, 2013, 01:25:41 am »

Soft Point Ammo will offer a damage increase from like... 7 to... 40-something meters, which will be almost all of your engagements, so it's a very good option for first choice. Presumably if you're asking the question, you aren't finding 30 rounds too limiting, so you're probably good to put that off until later.

I'm thinking of getting an AP lightning, for rolling with the armor zergs. Anyone have any experience with that? I realize the Lightning is the weakest vehicle, but I think I can use my teammates as bullet shields? Not going to be something I use regularly, but something to spend vehicle resources on when my Harasser gunner isn't online.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: December 10, 2013, 01:35:59 am »

IMO AP Lightning isn't worth it. HE and Skyguard are the guns to get; if you want to do anti-armor, pull a MBT, because an AP Lightning will pretty much always be outclassed in a straight fight against a MBT or Harasser.

Hell, Skyguard is a feasible AV/AI weapon as well. It won't get you many kills, but it scares the shit out of people.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: December 10, 2013, 01:43:57 am »

I don't really ever intend to use it in a straight fight with anything... and a Vanguard is pathetically slow.

I suppose I could just set up my other computer and learn to one-man a harasser... the ol' brick might even get 5 FPS after OMFG.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: December 10, 2013, 03:38:45 am »

He lightning is quite good. I haven't used the AP for the lightning. He lightnings are low to the ground, fast, and can climb hills pretty well. They are really good at farming infantry if you can get above them, or shoot into windows with it.

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: December 10, 2013, 03:47:14 am »

So it looks like on the PTS most of the proposed balance changes have been implemented.

For some reason they decided that Anchored Mode needed a nerf to projectile velocity bonus.

:(

They've also buffed the Basilisk to fire at 400 RPM. On live, it currently fires at 300 RPM. If they keep on buffing the Basilisk, every other option will pale in comparison to it.

Also, Thermal Optics doesn't highlight infantry anymore. I wonder if that's an intended change. Because, if it is, what's even the point of having it anymore. But why stop there? Why not just remove optics altogether from vehicles, because being able to see any infantry at all is too OP against them. Instead, let vehicle pilots and gunners drive, fly, and shoot entirely by instrument, and determine the angle and elevation that their guns need to shoot infantry by doing trigonometry on the fly based on the minimap and its contour lines. Then there would be true vehicle and infantry balance. Of course, to make things easier, there could be a sextant cert line that would go in the utility slot of the vehicle, to make these calculations easier.

Also, ZOE nerfs. There's now a timer on it. The movement speed bonus isn't quite as extreme, and the damage bonus only happens at close range. It also can't be reactivated like a heavy's shield; you have to wait for the timer to reach full before using it again. When active it also completely disables damage against vehicles and MAXes? That can't be right, but it is hilarious.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:44 am »

Noone even uses achor mode unless htey want to attract enemy AT rounds... so yeah fun nerf.

Oh so they are trying their best to make randoms to actually WANT to man basilisks (right now unless you have a vulkan or grenade launcher people just come in notice it's a basilisk say NOPE and get out).

Thermal optics NOT highlighting vehicles and infantry is simply hilarious.

It's now a pure infantry harvester altho i think it SHOULD be able to hurt other MAXes even if its just normal damage.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: December 10, 2013, 08:54:05 am »

They've also buffed the Basilisk to fire at 400 RPM. On live, it currently fires at 300 RPM. If they keep on buffing the Basilisk, every other option will pale in comparison to it.

My outfit already runs battle busses with dual basilisks.  This will just make them even better.  How does it affect CoF bloom on it, though?

They were meh at launch and horrible after that one nerf, but now they're on a massive buff streak.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: December 10, 2013, 08:54:40 am »

No highlight with thermals?

But now how will I do my A10 impression with my banshee

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: December 10, 2013, 10:18:20 am »

They should've just had NV optics be ye-olde light amplification  instead of thermal imaging in the first place. I know you can get them on vehicles but not on infantry weapons.
Either that or they need to look at Mechwarrior Online and do the thermals like that, but that would probably require too many resources and make the game run slower even when not using them.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: December 10, 2013, 11:44:42 am »

Noone even uses achor mode unless htey want to attract enemy AT rounds... so yeah fun nerf.

Dude, what are you talking about. Lots of people use Anchored Mode, including me. It's a massive DPS boost in exchange for mobility, which isn't as important for tanks as it is for infantry since it's not like you're making a lot of shots on the move anyway. The undeploy is quick enough that you can reverse into cover if you start taking too much damage.

Thermal optics NOT highlighting vehicles and infantry is simply hilarious.

It still highlights vehicles. It does not highlight infantry.

How does it affect CoF bloom on it, though?

It looks the same, which is crazy. 0.5 degree CoF at 400 RPM is ridiculous.

I think they may have fiddled with the damage drop off ranges though. On test it's 10m, but I can't immediately recall what the value it is for live.

For Galaxies, the Drake's damage drop off range starts at 200m, which is really scary.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:36 am »

How does it affect CoF bloom on it, though?

It looks the same, which is crazy. 0.5 degree CoF at 400 RPM is ridiculous.

I think they may have fiddled with the damage drop off ranges though. On test it's 10m, but I can't immediately recall what the value it is for live.

For Galaxies, the Drake's damage drop off range starts at 200m, which is really scary.

Per the wiki, Basilisk now:

Fire Rate:    300 RPM
Muzzle Velocity:    500m/s
Range:    Medium
Fire Modes:    Automatic
Damage
Max Damage:    275 before 75m
Min Damage:    200 after 200m

Drake now:
Fire Rate:    300 RPM
Muzzle Velocity:    500m/s
Range:    Long
Fire Modes:    Automatic
Damage
Max Damage:    250 before 150m
Min Damage:    200 after 250m

That'd be a decent buff, on something I was having a blast with last night.  (Gal with pilot, walker up top, bulldog on the back, drakes on the side, and a belly full of AA MAXes.  We absolutely destroyed an entire VS air wing that tried to launch from a tower we were lurking near.)

Are there patch notes somewhere?  Forum lacks them.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: December 10, 2013, 11:59:31 am »

Dude, what are you talking about. Lots of people use Anchored Mode, including me. It's a massive DPS boost in exchange for mobility, which isn't as important for tanks as it is for infantry since it's not like you're making a lot of shots on the move anyway. The undeploy is quick enough that you can reverse into cover if you start taking too much damage.

I concur. Deploy and undeploy takes maybe 2-3 seconds, which is enough time to reverse behind cover and repair what damage you took.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: December 10, 2013, 12:39:45 pm »

Can't comment of most of that because I don't play LA, but does he ever find that he drops C4 and dies before he can detonate? I chose to cert into the antipersonnel mines because I wouldn't need to babysit them. But maybe I misunderstand how C4 works?

I love dropping bouncing betties in a spawn and despawning just before it's seized, and seeing a handful of kills pop up as the murderers blunder into the spawn to get some easy kills. Frequently, I'd say about 1 time in 4, I'll get a high threat kill out of it. Which just goes to show you don't have to be smart to pew pew the headshoots.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 826