Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089930 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9060 on: December 24, 2013, 07:23:00 pm »

So I bought a shotgun.

And for the love of Stendarr, I hope I'm just lucky because this LA shotgun shenanigans is ridiculous and hilarious.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: December 24, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »

Auto, semi, or pump?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: December 24, 2013, 08:28:27 pm »

Auto, semi, or pump?
I assume Semi.
He would probably hate Auto thanks to its uncanny ability to not hit anything at point blank.
Pump might work too tho.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: December 24, 2013, 09:50:08 pm »

Auto, semi, or pump?
I assume Semi.
He would probably hate Auto thanks to its uncanny ability to not hit anything at point blank.
Pump might work too tho.

Shotguns are kinda funny, in that if you like shotguns, you'll like your first shotgun. Pump, semi, auto, doesn't matter. You'll get it, it'll work like you expect, and you'll be happy.

Then you buy a semi and it changes your perspective. Suddenly you don't die because two people showed up, or because your target is more than 3 meters away.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: December 24, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »

So, I tried this a while back, and had trouble differentiating friend from foe. Any tips?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: December 24, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »

So, I tried this a while back, and had trouble differentiating friend from foe. Any tips?
At first you might want to stick with teammates a bit, they'll almost always have an indicator above their head showing them as friends. Sometimes the game is a derp and doesn't immediately show them so there can be a bit of friendly fire, you can only tell from the outfit they are wearing, and with cosmetic camouflage that can be a bit difficult. When in doubt, press Q when looking at someone, and if your guy shouts a voice macro and an enemy indicator shows up then they're an enemy.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: December 24, 2013, 10:13:37 pm »

I play as NC and I set TR to be red and Vanu to be the pinkish color that's almost the same red. That way I can identify both of them as enemy yet distinguish between the two, plus distinguish them from the more blue-ish Charlie squad color.

If I were playing TR I'd probably change vanu to a more cyan-ish color so all my enemies appear in a blue-ish hue, which somewhat makes sense since vanu energy-related stuff is a cyan color. Playing Vanu I'd probably change.... hmmmm.... I dunno, make charlie squad a brighter purple perhaps? it's probably like that by default, but I'd have to play it to see what it'd be like.

The point is, set the colors to be something you recognize quickly. If you're running with large platoons you can go to the platoon screen and set each squad's colors if you feel you can't distinguish between a squadmate and an enemy. I've heard people saying that their game is bugged because two factions are appearing the same color, but this option is actually the culprit.

this game needs some kind of tutorial... like, a first-time startup tutorial.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:15:30 pm by OzyTheSage »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: December 24, 2013, 11:28:22 pm »

Shoot first, ask questions later.

I'm not joking. This will serve you well enough until you start recognizing some of the details that distinguish the factions from each other.

It's better to start shooting at a guy and be wrong than have him kill you and then everybody else in the room you're guarding because you took a moment too long to realize he was an enemy.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: December 25, 2013, 01:07:40 am »

Shoot first, ask questions later.

I'm not joking. This will serve you well enough until you start recognizing some of the details that distinguish the factions from each other.

It's better to start shooting at a guy and be wrong than have him kill you and then everybody else in the room you're guarding because you took a moment too long to realize he was an enemy.

To add to that. Friendly units ALWAYS have a marker above their head. So if you don't see that, light them up.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: December 25, 2013, 01:30:32 am »

Yeah. Also, double tap your q button every time you see an infantryman unless he has a triangle above them that is your empire color, and shoot as soon as you hear your voice OR if you notice he is not on your minimap in your color. If you hit q too many times, it will make a sound and you won't be able to spot anyone for what feels like an eternity but is like 3 seconds or so. Twice is usually enough to tag an enemy as long as they are in the vicinity of center of your crosshairs.

The only time you don't want to be spotting is when you are trying to be sneaky and there might be enemies that can hear your character yelling out the spot messages. The spot shows up on friendlies' screens, and if they kill that person you get points. It will save hundreds of your allies and they won't even know who did it. If you also shot the enemy someone else kills, you get spot experience plus assist experience. If they are in your squad, it's even more.

You can also change the colors of squads by clicking on or near somewhere the name of the squad in the platoon window when it's the selected squad.

By default all enemies are red on the minimap. As NC, I change VS to purplish and TR to red. TR players might want to change them to purple and blue.

Also keep glancing at the mini map when you can, friendlies show on the map and if you know where they are the more likely you are to not shoot them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:37:34 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: December 25, 2013, 05:42:59 am »

To add to what Duuvian said...

MAP AWARENESS IS VERY IMPORTANT IN PS2. It's hard to stress this point enough. If you want to not die quickly, you need to constantly be aware of your surroundings and not get tunnel vision.
Especially when sniping.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: December 25, 2013, 08:04:31 am »

Also keep glancing at the mini map when you can, friendlies show on the map and if you know where they are the more likely you are to not shoot them.

This is particularly helpful when it's a lot of you in a base but only one or two enemies. Sometimes you might hear something or expect an enemy in a location, so you turn the corner expecting him to be there or toss a grenade, and it was actually a friendly. I've naded a couple friendlies that way on occasion. Glancing at the minimap before hand will let you know if that thing you hear moving around where you're heading is actually friendly.

Also, whenever an enemy fires they will light up as a red point with an expanding ring on your minimap, which is different from when they get spotted and they show up as a directional chevron.

As far as the in-game indicator is concerned, I swear it's not always there. Maybe it's just blindness on my part, but I think the distinction is that the friendly indicator only shows up when a target is in LOS, as opposed to squad/platoon indicators which are visible even when walls obscure your vision of the individual. I think the range on empire-friendly indicators may also be shorter than the squad/platoon indicators.

Also, VS are fucking cheating shits with their night-black default suits. I hate fighting them at night.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: December 25, 2013, 08:33:34 am »

Sundy train horn for 99 SC today!  Get it to annoy your friends!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: December 25, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »

Tried to play again lately. Everything lodes so damn slowly and everything lags like a madman, even on minimum settings. It takes an entire minute for the menus to pop up when I try to change my loadout.

Also it's been months and months so I've become unfamiliar with everything. Tell me, are my scythes rocket pods still useless?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: December 25, 2013, 02:39:09 pm »

Tried to play again lately. Everything lodes so damn slowly and everything lags like a madman, even on minimum settings. It takes an entire minute for the menus to pop up when I try to change my loadout.

Also it's been months and months so I've become unfamiliar with everything. Tell me, are my scythes rocket pods still useless?

Try using the medium settings. Low takes the load of the graphics card and throws everything at the processor... and the processor is usually the part that's the most busy when running PS2 anyway.

Also rocket pods were never useless.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 826