Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089612 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10020 on: April 07, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »

Anyone else kinda annoyed with everything SOE's done recently? I don't want to sound like the forums but honestly, either the devs are trolling us, or they seriously don't playtest their own shit. I mean, that stupid mission system blocks out the capture level of a region you're in if the mission system decides that it doesn't want you in that region. It'll say "go capture this place" in the area where the time until cap should be. I've been screwed over by that numerous times since it came out. Plus, that giant glowing thing on your screen is pretty annoying, at least to me. Just let me go where I want! There should at least be an option to turn it off.

The thing that really irks me though, and seems like blatant trolling on the part of the devs, is that stupid VO when you take a control point, or lose one. It annoys the hell out of me, and any sane person. And I can't turn it off, because the mission system means that half the time, the VO is my only indication of when the base is about to fall. It just irks me. That coupled with a few other issues makes me want to leave Planetside 2 for at least a few more months. Or at least until a month after Hossin is introduced so they can take care of most of the gamebreaking bugs that'll naturally come about with its release.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10021 on: April 07, 2014, 09:27:32 pm »

The thing is SOE decide to make a lot of things (the mission system, where you can/cannot spawn) based on where you currently are or where they think you should go. None of it is based on squad or personal waypoints, which would make more sense since it's essentially telling the system 'this is where I want to be'. The mission system is mainly just for solo newbies who have no idea what's going on. Anybody who's in a squad, even if somewhat disorganized, is probably going to know where they should go.

From what little I understand of the mission system that's in the game right now is more of a prototype than anything else. (I think) missions are something that 'commanders' (???) are going to be able to throw down to tell the zerg where to go with what kind of vehicles.

The voiceover -is- pretty annoying, some kind of sound cue would be way simpler. Something like the alert... alert (alert notification?) except much less jarring and lengthy could probably work, a 'bad' sound when a point is lost and a more cheerful variation when one is secured.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:29:14 pm by OzyTheSage »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10022 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »

From what little I understand of the mission system what's in the game right now is more of a prototype than anything else. (I think) missions are something that 'commanders' (or something?) are going to be able to throw down to tell the zerg where to go with what kind of vehicles.

We have that though, with the attack and defend indicators you can place on the map.

The voiceover -is- pretty annoying, some kind of sound cue would be way simpler. Something like the alert... alert (alert notification?) except much less jarring and lengthy could probably work, a 'bad' sound when a point is lost and a more cheerful variation when one is secured.

Do we even need a notification? Did the lack of one bother you before?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10023 on: April 07, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »

I have never touched to attack and defend notifications, or even really noticed them, so I don't really know much about them.

No notification never really bothered me, I usually noticed the icon when it flashed on the HUD, but some people might be too engaged in something to notice that they're losing an objective. I can only imagine that people must have been complaining about not knowing that a point was flipped somehow, otherwise I don't see any reason why a notification was added in the first place. If that is the case then I have no idea what they were thinking.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10024 on: April 07, 2014, 09:44:34 pm »

By commander do you mean squad leader?
Because squad leaders cant do jack with missions.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10025 on: April 07, 2014, 09:55:06 pm »

I must be misremembering something, but I seem to remember reading something in their little 'roadmap' that suggested that missions would be player controlled in some way... somehow.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10026 on: April 08, 2014, 12:18:28 am »

I must be misremembering something, but I seem to remember reading something in their little 'roadmap' that suggested that missions would be player controlled in some way... somehow.
Eventually. I remember seeing that as well.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10027 on: April 08, 2014, 06:15:12 am »

From what little I understand of the mission system that's in the game right now is more of a prototype than anything else. (I think) missions are something that 'commanders' (???) are going to be able to throw down to tell the zerg where to go with what kind of vehicles.
That's weird, I thought that missions already changed depending on orders. Whenever I'm rolling with the R18 'Mobile Bananas' the mission always seems to be right next to my squad marker.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10028 on: April 08, 2014, 06:32:19 am »

Eventually. I remember seeing that as well.
From what I recall what was stated in the roadmap for the initial pass of missions was that, squad/platoon leaders would be able to look towards the marker for a base and designate an attack/defend mission. Other missions such as designating locations for air support/air defense/armour/bombing would come in later passes. If there wasn't a mission designated by the squad/platoon leader then the game would generate one depending on current fights/territory.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10029 on: April 08, 2014, 03:10:41 pm »

That's weird, I thought that missions already changed depending on orders. Whenever I'm rolling with the R18 'Mobile Bananas' the mission always seems to be right next to my squad marker.

The squad leader's mission is the squad's mission and your squad leader is probably next to the squad waypoint.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10030 on: April 08, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »

Recommend me a system that will play Planetside 2 at 60fps (outside of biolabs or giant melees, but preferably still ~30 in melees).

My current system only manages about 30 max, and that only when I'm pretty much alone by myself. Pretty frustrating.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10031 on: April 08, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »

I have a i5 2500K and a 560 TI and I get roughly those framerates. You should be able to do just as well with more modern components.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10032 on: April 08, 2014, 05:03:31 pm »

You have a 560 TI and get a smooth 60fps? I have a 660 TI and very clearly do not. It's night and day the difference between my gameplay and gameplay videos by people with more up-to-date gaming rigs.

But I also only have 6 gig of ram and a core 2 duo. Not sure where your CPU falls in comparison.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:05:40 pm by Niveras »

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10033 on: April 08, 2014, 05:14:13 pm »

What model core 2 duo? In general the i5 2500K is about 50% to 100% "better" than the core 2, but it depends on model.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10034 on: April 08, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »

Planetside 2 is a very CPU dependant game. You need a decent CPU and RAM to run it decently. The small RAM is definitely hurting you. Not sure what the numbers are on that CPU, but it sounds old. Not to mention it could be a bottleneck for your GPU, making it seem slower than it is.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670 671 ... 826