Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089472 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10155 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »

Don't forget replacing a useful and complementary NC MAX ability with an extremely situational and limited one.
As someone who never played planetside 1, please enlighten me

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: April 15, 2014, 10:29:35 pm »

The original NC MAX shield was instant toggleable and completely surrounded you.  It wore down like the default HA shield does now, on time and damage, except with a deeper capacity.  It still prevented you from shooting, but was great for crashing.

EDIT:  Also, the VS MAX had jumpjets.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: April 15, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »

• That SOE ever thought Lockdown was a good idea.

What grinds my gears worse then anything else about the game is that lockdown existed in PS1, and it was so terrible they finally gave up and added a second ability to the TR max, overdrive - which gave 1.5x fire rate for a limited time without locking you in place.

Then they make PS2 which is faster paced and even more reliant on movement..... and decide to just add lockdown again.

I just... I don't even know what they were thinking. It honestly makes 0 sense to me at all, it's the exact same terrible ability that they already know is terrible... in a game that it's even more poorly suited for.

It's almost unbelievable.

Lockdown has one use and one use only, for pure double AA gun MAXes to lock in place where they're shielded from oncoming fire in a 180 degree cone and use themselves as a portable turret. I mean hey, the NC MAX and Vanu MAX special skills have something of a use in combat - a frontal shield? Awesome. Slightly buffed movement speed and damage for an increase in damage taken? Still pretty awesome.

Locking yourself in place for a slightly increased fire rate? Niche at best.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: April 15, 2014, 11:03:59 pm »

• That SOE ever thought Lockdown was a good idea.

What grinds my gears worse then anything else about the game is that lockdown existed in PS1, and it was so terrible they finally gave up and added a second ability to the TR max, overdrive - which gave 1.5x fire rate for a limited time without locking you in place.

Then they make PS2 which is faster paced and even more reliant on movement..... and decide to just add lockdown again.

I just... I don't even know what they were thinking. It honestly makes 0 sense to me at all, it's the exact same terrible ability that they already know is terrible... in a game that it's even more poorly suited for.

It's almost unbelievable.

Lockdown has one use and one use only, for pure double AA gun MAXes to lock in place where they're shielded from oncoming fire in a 180 degree cone and use themselves as a portable turret. I mean hey, the NC MAX and Vanu MAX special skills have something of a use in combat - a frontal shield? Awesome. Slightly buffed movement speed and damage for an increase in damage taken? Still pretty awesome.

Locking yourself in place for a slightly increased fire rate? Niche at best.
Hey, look on the bright side.

The NC and the VS now have a nice stationary target painted red, black and white.

...Yeah. We don't even have nice shields. u_u

EDIT:  Also, the VS MAX had jumpjets.
ocomeon

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: April 16, 2014, 12:05:31 am »

I thought the consensus was that charge (which TR gets too) is still better than NC's shield. I for one don't think that shield is *that* good in CQC (it's useful, but not great), which is where NC MAXes are supposed to be. It is pretty great if you going AV with dual Falcons, though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:09:05 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: April 16, 2014, 12:16:10 am »

I thought the consensus was that charge (which TR gets too) is still better than NC's shield. I for one don't think that shield is *that* good in CQC (it's useful, but not great), which is where NC MAXes are supposed to be. It is pretty great if you going AV with dual Falcons, though.
...Charge is better?
From my experiences...it isn't worth much other than 'get behind the enemy//advance this much FASTER'.
Which was only useful when I got behind an engineer with an anti-infantry turret and punched him to the death. :I

Does it damage upon contact?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: April 16, 2014, 12:23:25 am »

It's plenty useful for staying alive. Go in, spam your shotguns until you're at half health (max out kinetic armour so this takes a while), then charge back to friendly engineers. If you try covering your retreat with a shield instead, you'll run out of it 1/3 of the way back to your lines and get cut down in the open where medics can't revive you.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: April 16, 2014, 01:30:58 am »

It's plenty useful for staying alive. Go in, spam your shotguns until you're at half health (max out kinetic armour so this takes a while), then charge back to friendly engineers. If you try covering your retreat with a shield instead, you'll run out of it 1/3 of the way back to your lines and get cut down in the open where medics can't revive you.
^This. I can't count the number of times I've saved my max suit by simply turning around and hitting F. Don't think of Charge as a "get to the fight fast" or "reposition on the front lines" button. Think of it as a "I just saved myself a respawn" button.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: April 16, 2014, 02:01:21 am »

That being said, I still have shield in all my loadout slots because it looks so cool.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10164 on: April 16, 2014, 02:03:19 am »

The VS definitely have the most useful MAX skill. After several months of not playing I was expecting it to be nerfed or other MAX's to actually get a useful specialized skill, but alas.

The TR certainly got the short end of the stick though. Their MAX's could use some love.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: April 16, 2014, 02:31:58 am »

Paaaaaaaaaaatch.

Lots of minor buffs to TR guns. A mix of minor buffs and nerfs to VS and NC guns.

• All ranks of TR MAX Lockdown now deploy and undeploy faster (Again, Nanites. Stop questioning why.)
    • Deploy times reduced from 2.5 to 2.0 seconds

OH WOW

:I
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10166 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:16 am »

STRAIGHT PULL BOLT!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: April 16, 2014, 03:20:47 am »

STRAIGHT PULL BOLT!
YESSSS
FINALLY
YEEEESSSSS
FINALLY I can add a useful attachment to my sniper rifle other than the 10x zoom. >_>

If this change doesn't work you are all being issued bubblewrap armor
xD

Prowler Anchored Mode

Projectile speed is now normalized at +30% across all ranks.
O_o
So...this means that the upgrades are for whatnow?

Defend Missions will once again be created if enemy population is significant in a vulnerable facility. Defend missions once again require the enemy presence to be significantly reduced before the mission will end. (No more just making faces at each other through a spawn room shield).
I love the sidecommentary. xD

Flashlights will no longer force players to hold the gun in the ready to fire position while sprinting.
Someone understands!  :'(

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:26:48 am by Tiruin »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: April 16, 2014, 04:02:49 am »

Noooooo, they nerfed my Vanguard shield :'(

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: April 16, 2014, 04:57:03 am »

Aaaaand they also nerfed the only thing prowlers are good at... farming infantry with HE.
Well meybe the change (buff?) to anchor mode will make it worthwhile.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 826