Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089262 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10140 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:54 am »

Yeah, the TR default pistol is kinda useless compared to, say, the Commissioner (three body shots = dead) or the Underboss (4 body shots, I think).

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:11 am »

Irrelevant since it's been fixed since then, but did you play with the Vulcan when it was new?  At one point, that bastard could tear up Galaxies.

Vulcan was comically broken on the Harasser, yet never synergized well with the Prowler. It was rightfully nerfed on the Harasser, but then the entire Harasser vehicle was nerfed into the ground, so it's all a little irrelevant. The Vulcan still underperforms on the Prowler, but I wouldn't know by how much.

Yeah, the incident I'm thinking of involved a Harasser.  There were many cries of "what the heck just hit us?"

I'd still think it's more useful than the Enforcer Modified, though.

So is a big stick and some rocks.

Tiruin:  The default sidearms are good enough* for you to spend elsewhere until your basics are nice and shored up.  The AA lockon is a good thing to have, for example.

*Sure, the Beamer is terrible, but so are the rest of the VS pistols
B-but I've a TX2 Repeater (or something as the prefix :v) and it can't kill anyone unless the bullets go *boink* on their heads.
Though I verymuchlyextremely find it useful with that darklight flashlight, given the performance I've seen it through. Pretty nice...
But still. :c
*compares that and the Emperor, a real 'pistol' (one that doesn't have burst/auto)*
...Right. Unless I've got 1k credits, I'm keeping it.
Ah well.

Oh sure, the NC and TR have nice pistol upgrades, but I don't consider them priority targets.

Also, the current weapon cert system provides no easy way to use weapons from other factions like in PS1.  I still have a locker full of Cyclers.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: April 15, 2014, 08:54:08 am »

That Anchored Mode was nerfed.

Adding insult to injury is that Anchored Mode was nerfed because it was too good against aircraft. Vanguard AP, at 375 m/s, only 25 m/s slower than max Anchored Prowler AP, went untouched, despite Vanguard AP being able to kill ESFs with one shot.

^

As a NC who regularly pulls the vanguard with the express purpose of shooting liberators, I agree. The anchor mode nerf was unjustified. I've griped about this forever, but the lack of turret stabilization hurts TR tankers the most.

Proof positive that SOE has no idea what to make of or how to balance the purported TR trait of fast shooty guns anything
fix'd

SOE is treating this game like its just another military shooter, implementing more elements that resemble battlefield 3. This game could've been a lot more.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: April 15, 2014, 09:00:25 am »

Sundie with spawn and ammo is kinda nuts.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: April 15, 2014, 09:01:29 am »

Anchor mode was obnoxious when coupled with HE rounds and a hill outside a tower so you could spam the spawn room.  (Crossroads Watchtower, I'm looking at you.)  That said, see what I said about super specialization and scatmax: it didn't need to be nerfed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: April 15, 2014, 03:13:17 pm »

And the scatmax is just super specialized, more than damn near any other weapon there is.  If I could get dual recoilless rifles on my NC MAX, I probably would.  As is, I just roll with Falcons.

My particular complaint is that scatmaxes are good only within 20m, which is completely true, but every capture point is in a building or enclosed area within this distance, or accessible only through a tiny chokepoint less than half that distance wide. This makes the supposed disadvantages of the scatmax of a lack of a longer ranged anti infantry option seem rather inconsequential.

I suppose this has more to do with bad base design (seriously fuck biolabs) than anything else, but it's still frustrating to deal with.

Irrelevant since it's been fixed since then, but did you play with the Vulcan when it was new?  At one point, that bastard could tear up Galaxies.

I missed that particular brokenness but I did get to play with it before Harassers were nerfed. I was gunner of Vulcan Harassers enough (not that often really) to recognize that that particular combo was broken as hell.

B-but I've a TX2 Repeater (or something as the prefix :v) and it can't kill anyone unless the bullets go *boink* on their heads.
Yeah, the TR default pistol is kinda useless compared to, say, the Commissioner (three body shots = dead) or the Underboss (4 body shots, I think).

I disagree that the Repeater is useless. It is a 21 round pocket SMG. It is a fantastic 'oh shit' gun. It has saved me many a time when I was caught out of ammo or reloading.

The Emperor is really good too, since its maximum damage range is 15m and has a huge clip for its damage. If you go for headshots you could potentially get seven kills in a single clip, which is on the high side for pistols.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: April 15, 2014, 03:44:56 pm »

Repeater is my fav gun to use as pistol cloaker

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:22 pm »

Another vid of the Connery vs Cobalt clash, this one from the british observer. It's not too bad, and gives you an idea of how much stuff was going on all at once. The highlight is probably the ten skyguards all opening up on a tank and destroying it within seconds.

Here's the vid:
 https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tXccTGOSezU
It's a game. Have fun.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:30 pm »

Biolabs are hardly the worst designed place. I've had a squad describe taking over Subterranean Nanite Analysis as 'Either sneak in when no one is there, or bombard the defenders with lashers and MAXs until they leave and you don't instantly die when you go down a floor'.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10149 on: April 15, 2014, 09:40:16 pm »

Yep. A 12-24 team held off a 48+ team for forever until the alert ended and everyone left. Just kill them as them as they drop down to the capping floor. We could have beat them if people stayed :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: April 15, 2014, 09:46:40 pm »

It almost seems easier to go through two biolabs to get to the base past Subterranean Nanite Analysis than try to go through it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: April 15, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »

Is Subterranean the one on Amerish on the east that's basically an empty box underground with a few elevators and a spawn point?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: April 15, 2014, 09:53:48 pm »

Indeed.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: April 15, 2014, 10:00:20 pm »

• That SOE ever thought Lockdown was a good idea.

What grinds my gears worse then anything else about the game is that lockdown existed in PS1, and it was so terrible they finally gave up and added a second ability to the TR max, overdrive - which gave 1.5x fire rate for a limited time without locking you in place.

Then they make PS2 which is faster paced and even more reliant on movement..... and decide to just add lockdown again.

I just... I don't even know what they were thinking. It honestly makes 0 sense to me at all, it's the exact same terrible ability that they already know is terrible... in a game that it's even more poorly suited for.

It's almost unbelievable.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: April 15, 2014, 10:25:51 pm »

Don't forget replacing a useful and complementary NC MAX ability with an extremely situational and limited one.
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 826