Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089902 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10665 on: June 20, 2014, 10:20:27 pm »

I don't think this can be overstated: Practice in the VR training room for a few minutes whenever you log on in order to get a feel for the guns and how they aim at range and CQC. Back when I started we didn't have the VR training, and it would have been a massive help to know how to handle recoil in a non-combat environment.
What I used to do was stand at an infantry terminal, preferably out in the open (at a warpgate) where I'm not likely to shoot teammates, then choose a reference point (the corner of some geometry in the distance, for example) and practice on that. (EDIT: I wish there were an option to log in directly to VR training instead of automatically being dropped into a continent's map screen. The first thing I'm usually trying to do is seeing if there's any organized squads up.)

Somebody may or may not have won the server smash
Good grief, just merge them and wall it Watermath or something
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:31:24 pm by OzyTheSage »

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: June 20, 2014, 10:31:23 pm »

Waterson won the Server Smash. After Matherson thought they won.

From [DA] Cheese: http://i.imgur.com/Q63Ls6S.png
Heh. Final count Mattherson won. 46-45
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:42:24 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: June 20, 2014, 10:47:02 pm »

That was the greatest two hours of Planetside that we have ever witnessed here at ServerSmash, and we are all impressed by both the skill and intensity that Waterson and Mattherson brought to this match!
It came down to the wire, and we actually had our first overtime in ServerSmash history! After all the dust settles, and we have recounts of recounts of recounts, the winner is:
MATTHERSON!!!
How we got here: >>THIS<< image shows what bases were capping at the beginning of overtime, and were then in contention.
This clearly shows that EMC was under contention: http://i.imgur.com/9behAt2.png
Overtime rules as stated in the match doc:
If a base is secure at the 2 hours mark, it is no longer in play. If a base is under contention after 2 hours, the base must be fully captured or fully defended before the match is called.
By the end of overtime, Mattherson had defended Freyr Geothermal, and captured both the Traverse and Esamir Munitions Co.
Waterson defended The Octagon, Ymir Mine Watch, and Ymir Eastern Waystation.
According to the point capture system in place, the final score is
46-45
Unfortunately in all the excitement after this incredible match, one of our team miscounted and mistakenly said that Waterson was the winner. We apologize for this mistake and take full responsibility for any confusion that this may have caused.
Going forward, in light of how close and hard fought the match was, as well as at the insistence of both servers' representatives, we have decided to petition SOE on the community's behalf for the option to rename the server to neither Mattherson or Waterson, and instead move forward with a new name that is to be determined.
Whether this is something that SOE will be amenable to is yet to be determined. The ServerSmash team, as well as the servers themselves, feel that it would be a disservice to either side to do otherwise.
Speaking as part of the ServerSmash team, I can't imagine a better match. Both sides should be proud of how they performed. It was incredible to witness.
MergerSmash garnered over 2000 concurrent viewers, surpassing games like World of Tanks, Battlefield, Titanfall, and Call of Duty! Thank you to the Planetside Community for supporting this amazing event, and we look forward to showcasing more in the future!
HERE is the OFFICIAL STREAM: http://www.twitch.tv/inicast/c/4504246

Basically: somebody goofed while tallying the score. The match was still close enough that the servers may just choose a third name anyways, but it's up to SOE.

EDIT: So... Emerald then??
What is this Emerald I keep hearing of? Is it referring to some other server that used to exist?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:53:13 pm by OzyTheSage »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10668 on: June 20, 2014, 11:01:41 pm »

I think it used to be a continent..?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:54 pm »

Bad net-can't load most stuffs there.

...Emerald was a Continent?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: June 20, 2014, 11:07:23 pm »

I think it was a Planetside 1 server. Possibly even a US East PS1 server.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: June 20, 2014, 11:07:37 pm »

From what I gather, Emerald was the name of the east coast PS1 server... (and I think the name of the sole existing PS1 server?)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10672 on: June 20, 2014, 11:33:42 pm »

Holy crap. I've been in some pretty big battles before but what I'm seeing on this stream is... completely insane, and I'm only ~30 minutes in so far.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: June 20, 2014, 11:53:42 pm »

From what I gather, Emerald was the name of the east coast PS1 server... (and I think the name of the sole existing PS1 server?)
The current lonely PS1 server is Gemini.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: June 21, 2014, 12:01:25 am »

Ah. Someone on forumside claimed Emerald was still active, but I bounced off PS1 so quickly that I didn't really remember and just took their word for it.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: June 21, 2014, 01:41:05 am »

Due to the controversy surrounding the results in the otherwise INCREDIBLE @PS2_ServerSmash #MergerSmash event... [] We have decided the new US East server will be named Emerald. Merge will be early next week.
Works for me, green happens to be my favorite color anyways. Hopefully this will keep the peace as a lot of people seemed to want to keep their server names pretty adamantly. I watched the stream and somewhere in the middle of it their countdown timer stopped by accident. You could probably go through and do math and adjust for the time discrepancies and all that jazz, but at the end of the day it's just a server name.

Can't wait to see what all the Matherson NC people think of PHX, hehehe.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: June 21, 2014, 02:10:17 am »

To be frank I'm a little disappointed with our new Waterson "friends."

Acquisitions of cheating, rigging, overpop, etc. are running rampant. When we (Mattherson) heard that we lost, we were content though disappointed. In fact some of the Waterson players came into our TS channels and trash talked at us. Now, we are trying to be as sportsman like as possible.

In reality there is a reason that everyone in my squad finished with 3.0+ K/D's.

We planned on winning (Though, we didn't steamroll as we thought we would), and decided before hand to ask for "Emerald" to prevent hurt feelings. I wonder if Waterson would have done the same?

/rant
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: June 21, 2014, 02:45:47 am »

In reality there is a reason that everyone in my squad finished with 3.0+ K/D's.

Mass rez nade usage by both servers?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: June 21, 2014, 03:10:36 am »

When are the EU servers getting merged?

Fights pretty much dead at all hours now

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: June 21, 2014, 05:36:03 am »

I had a feeling it would be close when I heard Waterson was actually practicing for it. Glad to see Mattherson won though, sounds like a good time. I might have been there but Goon wasn't invited last I heard.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 826