Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089569 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11100 on: August 14, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »

Valks and certing up ammunition belts seems to be ideal as well. Between flyby ammo restocks and the fact that HAs, engies and infiltrators will probably be the only ones flying in them, they make a bit of sense. 111 certs to turn into a flying gun emplacement of doom (well, of paper-mache armoured doom) sounds like a good deal. 3 extra magazines is a fair bit of leeway when it comes to firing at will.

It'll give you a bit more sustain and a lack of care as you randomly fire at anything your pilot gets you near to. With mana turret/ammo pack waystation flybys to top you up when needed. It might be a little bit of a passive way to play, but sometimes that's fun as well. Just a pointy-clicky shooter.

It'll also give you something fun to do when you've only got a couple of mates online and you just want to rumble seat grumble or talk while not really doing much. Go valking. Point, click, crap on. You're still contributing, but you can probably watch a twitch stream while you're doing it :)

edit: For more serious play, two heavies with lvl 2 belts isn't really that bad for 550 certs (the max for HAs). 2 extra rockets and clips goes a long way to add to the damage output. A total of 14 rockets (or whatever ES weapon equivalent) and shit-tonnes of ammo for a LMG/ES HA weapon is pretty nice for a gunship with 2 HA rumblers. Add a rocket pod front turret to it with max ammo certing and even without an ammo supply dump you're in business.

edit 2: Actually, if pilot -> rumble seat swapping is a thing, especially without needing a spare seat (gunner), then a group of 4 heavies in a valk makes total sense. As long as all of them can pilot it a bit. Heaps of ammo, some AT or AA potential, and almost perfect resource usage. 250 nanites for each valk, but any HA can pull one. As long as any valk you pull manages to last a minute, and one of them two minutes, they're essentially free. Depends on cooldown for the pull, but 4 valks should last at least 5 minutes. Especially with 4 HAs of seat-swapping firepower coming out of them. Free on nanites, and fun-with-a-flying-gun-platform for 4 people. Essentially indefinitely.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:14:45 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: August 14, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »

If you're giving the enemy 4 kills and a vehicle's worth of XP every 60 seconds... you probably will want to adjust your tactics. Finding four people with their Valkyries all certed, and competence at all three crew stations would be tricky... that said, I doubt you're going to run low on resources even if you only have one pilot who does the pulling.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: August 15, 2014, 01:40:14 am »

If you're giving the enemy 4 kills and a vehicle's worth of XP every 60 seconds... you probably will want to adjust your tactics. Finding four people with their Valkyries all certed, and competence at all three crew stations would be tricky... that said, I doubt you're going to run low on resources even if you only have one pilot who does the pulling.

I was stating a worst-case scenario. 1 and a quarter minutes a Valk really is a worst-case scenario. Highly certed Valks aren't really needed. Even the first four pulls should be enough for a laugh.

Competence on all stations? Errrrmmmm, what competence is required? It's a gun turret, or a gun turret with your primary/secondary weapon. I'm not saying there's not a high skill-cap, there's actually a huge one due to the variability of load-outs for varying roles. But sheesh.... It's fire a turret gun or fire your guns out a window. The skill-cap might be high, but the entry-level-cap isn't really that hard to pick up.

Piloting a Valk might be a lot harder, just due to the enemy's kill potential if you're bad at it.
It's a game. Have fun.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:36 am »

I'm regretting starting with NC. I just don't like it - they tend to have the worst players on all servers (herp derp freedom, default faction!). Their MBT might not be the worst, but it's assuredly the most boring. What is the worst is that 2/3 of their ES weaponry is a shotgun variant. Along those lines, NC MAX is in the same place as the Vanguard - it might not be bad (biolabs), but it's definitely the most boring, monotonous MAX available. Two rocket launchers, four shotguns, and a flak gun - such variety! Have fun being completely outclassed in anything but a CQC fight.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: August 15, 2014, 09:28:30 am »

I've been playing TR and with the nanite update I've been pulling my MAXes a whole lot more, so I've gotten a decent taste of the TR default loadout. I can actually kill people at range with the AI weapon, but the drop on the Pounder makes it less suitable against vehicles or any kind of range especially in conjunction with an AI weapon. If you're aiming to compensate for drop then your chaingun is going to be firing over enemy's heads. I haven't tried their rocket canon yet though excpt in VR and it seems to alleviate some of that problem...

I never even bothered with NC MAXes unless I was in a biolab or the platoon was doing a MAX crash. The shield on it makes it interesting but it's pretty situational.

What server are you on Rex? Playing TR I've had a harder time finding an organized squad/platoon than I have playing NC, even POTP which dicks around a lot has a lot more coordination than the people screaming about how vanilla WoW was the greatest MMO ever constantly over voice chat and giving me a headache. I did find a platoon that was fairly organized but only the PL and I had microphones and I could tell he was frustrated several times at people just simply not following orders. I don't know if it's due to the voice comms having been broken recently and it's not fixed for everyone yet or what...

Of course, if you're playing with PHX then you're doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:31:56 am by OzyTheSage »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: August 15, 2014, 09:35:23 am »

Emerald, I'm with POTP (although I reaaaally dislike groups in general, every time a 13 year old turns on his mic I cringe and disable voice chat entirely). Even so, VS completely dominates every alert, with TR nabbing a win here and there. Last time we won an alert we had people yelling "WOW WE WON ONE?!"

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: August 15, 2014, 09:47:26 am »

Here, I'm Briggs, TR: in the R18 parody outfit PG12 / Parental Guidance Recommended, led by Bungins. Skyrunner and Tiruin are also in PG12.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: August 15, 2014, 09:48:27 am »

Alerts are kind've a joke right now and shouldn't be used as a metric until they change them =p

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:48 am »

Competence on all stations? Errrrmmmm, what competence is required?

Maybe we just suck, but I find if my gunner and I swap roles, our effectiveness has an extremely sharp dropoff. I'm just thinking it'd probably be better to keep everyone at the jobs they excel at and take more breaks for ammo than it would be to try and juggle crew to maximize rockets.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: August 15, 2014, 01:30:14 pm »

VS on emerald here, can confirm. We were disappointed when we got a draw on Esamir the other day.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: August 15, 2014, 02:05:28 pm »

Ahahaha, TR dident get locked out there!
We where doing sorta OK there, wherent we?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: August 16, 2014, 12:24:20 am »

Something I just thought of: Does anyone know of a biolab with a large hill close enough to it that you can jump a Flash onto one of the landing pads? I think I have a new goal in PS2...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: August 16, 2014, 03:28:45 am »

No biolab has a suitable jump, it would have to be the correct angle to send you very nearly vertical on a trajectory towards the pad. It would have to be a near perfect ramp to do it, and the biolab pads are so high that I'm not sure a max turbo flash can get to that altitude. If they can it's just barely. If you missed you'd have a very high chance to explode on landing too, it's nearly guaranteed when you go straight up unless you land on one of those magical terrains or objects that for whatever reason do not do as much damage to the flash. Normal ground though will almost always explode you. It's possible server load or your client's performance has an effect on whether a flash explodes on landing or not, but I've never tested it.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: August 16, 2014, 06:11:27 am »

I'm almost sure guys from my outfit jumped up in a Harasser rather than hitched a ride on a Galaxy. It was at Rashnu Biolab IIRC.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: August 16, 2014, 03:57:54 pm »

Something I just thought of: Does anyone know of a biolab with a large hill close enough to it that you can jump a Flash onto one of the landing pads? I think I have a new goal in PS2...

Rashnu.

There's a cliff overlooking the north pad that vehicles can get to. If it's any biolab it would have to be that one.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 826