Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089205 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #11790 on: September 29, 2015, 07:17:04 pm »

Unless something changed reciently, engies cant get ammo from their own packs.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11791 on: September 29, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »

Unless something changed recently, they've been able to do so since launch (and likely beta as well)

It is why bandoleer is considered so useless on them.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: September 29, 2015, 07:29:06 pm »

If ya need to soak up bullets, a couple of maxes with engi support is where its at. Otherwise, heavies are mostly good for indirect fire support (I love my vanu heavies lasher), explosives spam in the form of av grenades and rockets to take out said maxes, and av roles.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11793 on: September 29, 2015, 08:15:06 pm »

Yes, but Engineers have infinite ammo.
The problem is, they're fairly restricted in terms of what weapons they can use. You basically either go CQC or Carbine--that's not to say that there aren't good carbines or that you can't get excellent TTK with shotguns and SMGs, but the former are generally inferior to ARs and the latter only work in specific circumstances. Additionally, when you're lone-wolfing, health is flat out more important. With most Medic weapons and decent fire control you can squeeze out at least 2 kills per magazine, fewer if you're spraying all over. Contrawise, if you can't self-heal, the first time you fight someone who has a chance to fight back long enough to do health damage, you cripple your ability to keep fighting, because the next person to see you will probably be able to kill you.

A LW Medic needing to pull back is a Medic who's killed enough people to run dry on ammo. A LW Engineer needing to pull back is an Engineer who had someone shoot at them and hit.

On a related note, most of the Engi kit isn't really about small-group or 1v1 infantry combat. Your special ability is pretty much useless in those situations, your utilities are only useful if you thought to bring AP mines (which rely on foolish/unlucky enemies rather than your own skill), and you can't do anything to assist teammates in small skirmishes in the way the Medic can.

That's not to say the Engineer doesn't have a niche beyond driving/piloting, but it tends to be confined to supporting MAXes, spamming rifle grenades to break up clusters and corner-campers (which, sadly, has been heavily nerfed in multiple ways), and suppressing or sniping vehicles with the turret. It used to be my most-played class back in the day, but then they hammered UBL damage and splash into the ground without fixing the glitchy reload and rearm that sometimes prevents you from resupplying or reloading them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11794 on: September 29, 2015, 08:38:29 pm »

'course, if you're lone wolfing as not-heavy, you're pretty much hoping that someone else will deal with everything you can't. Hope is also important when engaging anything that isn't infantry with your C4, as well.

Edit: I forgot that AV mines can kill MAXes now, so I'm not being completely fair to Engineer here -- they have some options, too. Still, HA is the most flexible class by far, and best suited to solo play.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:16:12 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11795 on: September 29, 2015, 08:40:57 pm »

Yeah, what's really nice is if you have a buddy on--one of you go HA with AA lockons, the other Engi, pull a quad or harasser and drive around being a mobile SAM site.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11796 on: September 30, 2015, 03:36:17 am »

Unless something changed recently, they've been able to do so since launch (and likely beta as well)

It is why bandoleer is considered so useless on them.
Ive never been able to resupply myself with ammo. Odd.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #11797 on: September 30, 2015, 05:55:11 am »

Don't forget that the Engie now has access to the Archer.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11798 on: September 30, 2015, 06:18:07 am »

That's pretty exclusively a team-oriented weapon, though. It's decidedly average for killing things that aren't MAXes or light vehicles.

3. Run Resize Enable

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11799 on: September 30, 2015, 07:31:46 am »

I vaguely remember there being some bad juju going on with this game a few months back or something.

Is it still going strong and worth playing? Because I kind of miss sniping people.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11800 on: September 30, 2015, 12:59:40 pm »

I vaguely remember there being some bad juju going on with this game a few months back or something.

Is it still going strong and worth playing? Because I kind of miss sniping people.

More or less the same as it was, only with pumpkins now, cause Halloween.
A bunch of stuff has been promised, but, I'll believe it when I see.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11801 on: September 30, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

Might be talking about SOE being bought out. Which is, frankly, probably for the best.  ::)

3. Run Resize Enable

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11802 on: September 30, 2015, 05:40:47 pm »

They got bought out, but seemingly new management isn't horrible and is making an earnest effort.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11803 on: September 30, 2015, 07:03:12 pm »

Yeah, from the look of things they're reorienting more on improving the game. Not a bad change by any means, though there have been some concerns about the new owner being purely profit-oriented (but that seems to have been dispelled given that it hasn't been driven to shit yet).

3. Run Resize Enable

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11804 on: September 30, 2015, 07:22:28 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 826