Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490830 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #735 on: August 29, 2013, 12:30:55 pm »

Neat test of spaceX grasshopper rocket

http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/08/14/grasshopper-100m-lateral-divert-test

Not groundbreaking, but pretty impressive how a somewhat heavy rocket can land without spending much time and fuel stabilizing it first.

Oddly related: I got a test drive with a Tesla S today, and I have to say Elon Musk is probably the most important entrepeneur of this generation.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »

At least when he is not trying to revolutionize trains.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 29, 2013, 01:48:05 pm »

At least when he is not trying to revolutionize trains.

Nothing wrong about his hyper loop concept*, he just does not have the funds and resource to develop it properly so he shelved it for now.

*From an engineering POV, I have no idea if it would be economically viable.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:37 pm »

Being that one has never been built, it is hard to tell.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 29, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »

And if you don't mind taking way more G of lateral acceleration than the rest of the industry.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 29, 2013, 03:01:13 pm »

And if you don't mind taking way more G of lateral acceleration than the rest of the industry.

That's a good point, but wouldn't it be possible to slightly rotate the vehicle within the loop so that the perceived g force stays more or less vertical from the passenger POV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 29, 2013, 03:28:35 pm »

That's a good point, but wouldn't it be possible to slightly rotate the vehicle within the loop so that the perceived g force stays more or less vertical from the passenger POV?
That's the point of the design. Still means that you'll suddenly get more pressure.

But I must note that the comparison of the Hyperloop versus standard trains is unfair. Especially the cost. I mean, 5 billion versus 60 seems like a good deal, but they neglect to mention that:
a) You'd need at least 3 hyperloops, maybe more  to cover even the minimum expected amounts of passengers on the highspeed line.
b) Ground prices could double the price, and then there's the budget creep. Unlikely to be cheaper/

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 29, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »

Yeah, that guys' estimate were wayyyy of, for both cost and power consumptions.

But I must admit, That guy put his money in cool places, both SpaceX and Tesla seems like great idea to spend his cash.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 29, 2013, 03:51:33 pm »

That's the point of the design. Still means that you'll suddenly get more pressure.

But I must note that the comparison of the Hyperloop versus standard trains is unfair. Especially the cost. I mean, 5 billion versus 60 seems like a good deal, but they neglect to mention that:
a) You'd need at least 3 hyperloops, maybe more  to cover even the minimum expected amounts of passengers on the highspeed line.
b) Ground prices could double the price, and then there's the budget creep. Unlikely to be cheaper/
Still, assuming that A is true, and he *did* underestimate costs by 300-500%, its still significantly more cost effective then standard rail.
Assuming that it even works in the first place that is.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 29, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »

Yeah, but things are always cheaper on paper. Frankly, why would new, untested technology be significantly cheaper?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 29, 2013, 03:59:06 pm »

Michael Anderson, a professor of agricultural and resource economics at UC Berkeley, predicted that "You're talking $100 billion to build what they’re proposing."[
Maybe exaggerated.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 29, 2013, 05:37:50 pm »

I calculated an estimate of the cost for a 350 mile segment using the price for laying down a pipelines with the same diameter as a basis. I multiplied that cost by a factor of 4 due to the more complex setup than a pipeline and other factors such as elevation and it gives a cost of 3.5 billion, or 7 billion of you want 2 lines. This does not include the r&d cost or the vehicle itself, which is estimated between 1.5 and 3 million a piece.

Maybe I'm on the low end with a factor of 4, but it still seem like a good ballpark figure.

On a totally unrelated note, while reading a wikipedia article I learned that Germany and Denmark both have beer pipelines. The one in Denmark is called the Thor pipeline. That just made my day...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:42:54 pm by Drakale »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 29, 2013, 10:09:37 pm »

A beer utility company.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 30, 2013, 12:28:23 am »

Beer delivered via plumbing... and the product tastes just fine?

This sounds like something for dwarf fortress: pipeways delivering booze directly to dwarves' bedrooms.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 30, 2013, 01:29:00 pm »

All dwarves are issued one tap and one mug.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 339