Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489794 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #720 on: August 15, 2013, 04:34:25 am »

I, uh, what?
Took me a second to realize I wasn't in the "WTF" thread.
Will look at that.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 27, 2013, 03:24:56 pm »

There's new strong evidence for a new element with atomic number 115. Here's a article that's taking this as confirmation, http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/o.o.i.s?news_item=6082&id=24890, and a BBC article to go with it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23849334. How long is it taking us to discover new elements, by the way?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 27, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »

Long

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 27, 2013, 03:26:22 pm »

When was the last time?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 27, 2013, 04:10:42 pm »

The fact that most large elements have multiple decay chains that are often ever so similar to other large elements makes it very hard to say with certainty what the bits you have left over at the end were when still together.
This is a blank sig.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 28, 2013, 05:02:17 am »

Yeah, its pretty cool cause I am going to school (only community college though) in Livermore, CA right now. I looked at the periodic table in the science lab, and was like "Wait, what? Is that the real name? Cause I am sure it wasn't that last time I saw it."
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 28, 2013, 11:05:48 am »

So, someone made a ball literally disappear.
(see the sidebar/insert thingy labeled "Analysis")

The aim of the experiment was to see what would happen if a microscopic sphere was spun as fast as was technically possible.

The team balanced it on a laser beam in a complete vacuum and then spun it using the light itself.

They saw it spin faster and faster until it reached 600 million rpm - and then it seemed to vanish!

The researchers don't know what happened to the sphere - but one possibility is that the object may have reached some theoretical speed limit - after which it changed in some way.

The next step for the researchers is to discover what became of the object and whether they really have discovered a completely new physical phenomenon.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:08 pm »

God damn it, quit tearing asunder the fabric of the universe!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 28, 2013, 12:35:08 pm »

There's new strong evidence for a new element with atomic number 115. Here's a article that's taking this as confirmation, http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/o.o.i.s?news_item=6082&id=24890, and a BBC article to go with it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23849334. How long is it taking us to discover new elements, by the way?
Elerium!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 28, 2013, 12:40:57 pm »

Elerium!
No matter what name they give it, I'm calling it Elerium and so should you.

I really, really hope they'll name it that all the same. There's no laws on what you get to name elements.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:01 pm »

So, someone made a ball literally disappear.
(see the sidebar/insert thingy labeled "Analysis")

Well, it was a very small ball made at the molecular level; small enough that it could be suspended by the force of a laser. I suspect that it was spinning fast enough that the molecules couldn't be held together by molecular forces, and all disintegrated into the vacuum.

However, acceleration of a mass can dilate time relative to other objects, so I'm secretly hoping that as the molecules rotated at closer to relativistic speeds, the particles/object did something weird in time/space.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:37:42 pm by Solifuge »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 28, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »

Yeah, in all likelihood it disintegrated into ions, but we can dream that it crossed dimensions.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 28, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

Official press-release used words "breaking apart".

Quantum friction that they mentioned will be the focus of their research reminds me of Hawking radiation but for momentum.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:18 am »

Neat test of spaceX grasshopper rocket

http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/08/14/grasshopper-100m-lateral-divert-test

Not groundbreaking, but pretty impressive how a somewhat heavy rocket can land without spending much time and fuel stabilizing it first.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 339