Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489861 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1080 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:30 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

There, non-daily fail source.

'Cold, snowy winters could become the norm for Europe'.

As much as I know the pains of shoveling the white crap and recognize that paying high heating bills suck, it still makes me happy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:12 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

There, non-daily fail source.

'Cold, snowy winters could become the norm for Europe'.

As much as I know the pains of shoveling the white crap and recognize that paying high heating bills suck, it still makes me happy.
Shouldn't they be the norm now?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:33:46 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:39 am »

Cold, snowy winters are the norm for most of Europe. Thats not news!

Pesky Ninja...
This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 18, 2014, 10:45:13 am »

Well, this winter might finally be a snowless one
plxplxplxplxplxplx

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 18, 2014, 01:06:02 pm »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: January 18, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »

Probably just witches messing with us.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:45 am »

Kepler data leads to an estimation of 9 billions habitable exoplanets in our galaxy. That's around 20% of sunlike stars having one. Statistically speaking the closest is a mere 12 lighyears away.
The Drake equation is getting figured, another unknown discovered.
The hunt for inhabited exoplanets begins.

Source: Science&vie (french scientific vulgarisation magazine, paper, trustworthy. Recently celebrated their centennial)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: January 30, 2014, 09:26:36 pm »

Oh man, on demand pluripotency. That's a serious fucking game changer. You could regenerate just about anything with that, using the proper type and insertion location. This means the only step remaining is on demand totipotency. That's what people think of when they think of the potential applications of stem cells. You could apply totipotent stem cells anywhere for apply and forget regeneration. But either way, the idea of permanent injury is now officially on the way out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:02 pm »

Indeed. Maybe someday, I'll be able to do stuff without being in horrible pain. Then again, when I was on painkillers for breaking my hand, and I woke up and wasn't in pain, I thought I was dead, so...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: January 31, 2014, 01:15:12 am »

This means the only step remaining is on demand totipotency.

Your wish is my command

(although, TBH, I am not 100% sure on why your eagerness to sprout placentas around your internal organs)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: January 31, 2014, 08:29:10 am »

Very funny. We both know totipotent cells can be differentiated into any human cell, though I suppose there is a risk of it going horribly wrong without proper direction.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 01, 2014, 12:56:25 am »

Kinda more tech related, but still really cool chemisty involved:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/01/29/3933872.htm

Chemists unveil 'water-jet' printer

Like any ordinary printer, this machine ingests a blank page and spits it out covered in print.

But instead of ink, it uses only water, and the used paper fades back to white within a day, enabling it to be reused.

The trick lies in the paper, which is treated with an invisible dye that colours when exposed to water, then disappears.

"Several international statistics indicate that about 40 per cent of office prints (are) taken to the waste paper basket after a single reading,"

"Based on 50 times of rewriting, the cost is only about one per cent of the inkjet prints," says Zhang.

Crucially, the new method does not require a change of printer but merely replacing the ink in the cartridge with water, using a syringe.

Yeah, so you can get this specially-treated paper, and inject water into empty ink cartridges, then print with water in a regular inkjet printer, at least for temporary documents. The paper is about 5% more expensive than untreated paper, so not a lot.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:58:17 am by Reelya »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:29 am »

snip
Interesting, but application seems very limited. The effect is only temporary, and limited to a whatever color ink the paper was treated with.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 01, 2014, 11:55:58 am »

Point seems to be that that limited application is very widespread, going by that 40% trashed figure. And yeah, a great, great deal of what I've seen in terms of paperwork has been monochrome and basically unnecessary beyond a few minutes. And if it is, well. Scanner, yeah.

'Course, there's probably room for those ridiculously thin touchscreen surfaces or whatever to replace most of that temporary stuff, at some point in the future. Touchscreen paperwork (involving no paper at all!), aiee...

Or just take the whole bloody office digital. Paperless office, ho!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:57:39 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 339