Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489831 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2940 on: March 27, 2015, 04:53:34 pm »

But Vacuum balloons are cooler! and just because they're too expensive now doesn't mean they always will be.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: March 27, 2015, 04:59:23 pm »

But Vacuum balloons are cooler! and just because they're too expensive now doesn't mean they always will be.
Sure, but cost and practicality beat coolness every time (except for with eccentric billionaires) :P. Unless something crazy happens that causes the cost and safety of establishing and maintaining a vacuum to be cheaper than that of helium (since even if you get a cheap frame to hold your vacuum in you could just use that for a helium blimp), then I don't ever foresee a time where we're going to have a large number of vacuum blimps floating around. Most likely outcome is that we'll eventually have a small handful in places where the security is a worthy trade-off for the small amount of additional lifting power, but that's probably going to be it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 27, 2015, 05:04:03 pm »

I'm just waiting for material science to produce a lightweight material capable of withstanding the implosive pressure of "containing" a vacuum, so people will finally stop laughing at me when I propose vacuum balloons.

The implosive pressure is 101,325 Pa, which is... actually quite small. For comparison, the compressive strength of iron is ~600,000,000 Pa.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 27, 2015, 05:11:22 pm »

The problem is the young modulus. Not total strength.

You want a material that is lightweight, OBSCENELY rigid, and is able to withstand a considerable static bending load.

Vacuum balloons would require a very thin membrane, as do normal balloons, since the lift force is pretty weak-- you need as little material holding the outside pressure out as is possible.

The problem is that you need thin AND rigid AND lightweight AND strong.

That's a combination you are unlikely to find, outside of something that is actively forced into being held open-- such as with strong EM fields.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:44 pm »

Considering how much carbon showed up on the previous page, could we use it for this too? :p
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: March 27, 2015, 10:15:17 pm »

And thus, electromagnetically enclosed balloons were conceived!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: March 28, 2015, 01:05:12 am »

Nah, it's just really good at bonding. Neil deGrasse Tyson says, ""because it's the slut of the periodic table, it binds with all different elements in many different ways: from behind, from above..." (Note: the original joke was made by Jon Stewart, which Tyson then riffed on later.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:07:33 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 28, 2015, 05:30:45 am »

It also has the magical number of available electrons (4) which make it very flexible in both taking and giving away.
._.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 28, 2015, 06:53:20 am »

It also has the magical number of available electrons (4) which make it very flexible in both taking and giving away.
This doesn't really account for out so much as abundance does. Many elements have more oxidation states and geometries available because they have d electrons available to move around. They just aren't as abundant.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 28, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »

Is Zach Weiner reading this thread or something?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: March 28, 2015, 01:44:29 pm »

Is Zach Weiner reading this thread or something?
E: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 01:46:37 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: April 06, 2015, 08:22:35 am »

I'm all for biohacking, but my first thought on hearing that was "Dear god please let him have tested that first."

Eyes are so fucking fragile, I'm not about to put random liquids into them in hopes that I can see clearer. More likely to have gone blind than see better. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 339