Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490950 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4575 on: December 08, 2016, 06:13:45 pm »

A team Swiss scientists of the EPFL technology institute has managed to let a monkey regain mobility after partial paralysis, using an electronic device implanted in the brain that records motoric brain activity, and sends it to the leg using wireless signals. They've already started trials with human patients.

The monkey tests were done in China, to circumvent strict EU regulations on monkey testing.

Who needs a spine when you can have wifi, right?

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/verlamde-aap-loopt-weer-door-hersenzender~a4412085/
Wouldn't this be affected by the recent fabricated results controversy?
What controversy?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: December 08, 2016, 06:41:07 pm »

More likely:

http://www.naturalnews.com/055549_fake_science_China_clinical_trials.html

(Can't say as I know the details past the journalism, but still the likely point.)
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: December 08, 2016, 06:51:32 pm »

Isn't natural news dot com fake news?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: December 08, 2016, 07:45:24 pm »

Stopped Clock?

British Medical Journal

I was actually (half) remembering this when I went and found the other. This is what I meant.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4580 on: December 08, 2016, 07:57:39 pm »

He'll need a better source than that  :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »

IMORTALITYish age reversal really. human trails may start in 10ish years.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: December 15, 2016, 07:29:10 pm »

Iceland is up to some suitably dwarven engineering
Took ages to track it down (IMDB keyword search didn't help*) but makes me think of this...  ;)

* Don't know why, I used a number of the following keywords to find the page. Maybe the presence of "drilling" and/or borehole, etc, in my searches, but not the database, caused me problems.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: December 15, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »

IMORTALITYish age reversal really. human trails may start in 10ish years.
mmph.

The Telegraph is, from my limited understanding, not exactly a bastion of quality journalism. Got some other sources?
In any case, I'll believe in reverse-aging when I see it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: December 15, 2016, 08:15:25 pm »

Paper I can dig up:

http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(16)31664-6

So far as I can tell, there's no actual trials been done, only model tests, though I've not read it thoroughly, nor am I a trained biologist.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: December 16, 2016, 04:02:52 am »

https://www.uq.edu.au/news/article/2016/12/uq-confirms-vitamin-d-link-autism-traits

Quote from: Summary
Researchers at The University of Queensland’s Queensland Brain Institute have found a link between Vitamin D deficiency in pregnancy and increased autism traits.

The study, led by QBI researcher Professor John McGrath and involving Dr Henning Tiemeier from the Erasmus Medical Centre in The Netherlands, found that pregnant women with low Vitamin D levels at 20 weeks’ gestation were more likely to have a child with autistic traits by the age of six.

The study examined approximately 4200 blood samples from pregnant women and their children, who were closely monitored as part of the long-term “Generation R” study in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

Professor McGrath’s team has previously found a link between low Vitamin D in neonatal blood and an increased risk of schizophrenia.

Any new links are good news when they suggest something that can be done about it. Now they can test vitamin D supplements for pregnant women, and see if they decrease the incidence of autism.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: December 20, 2016, 08:09:54 am »

A new studies published in Nature Neuroscience by a team of Dutch and Spanish researchers shows that the brains of a woman undergo significant physical change at the first pregnancy, caused by hormonal changes.

Parts of the brain permanently shrink.
Primary author Elseline Hoekzema, of Leiden University, says 'the change can be compared en severity to the effects of puberty', where specific brain areas specialize in preparation for the adult life fase.

For instance, in pregnant women, the hippocampus, which plays a part in formation of memory, shrinks.
At the same time, the amount of grey matter in the cerebral cortex reduces, possibly to further specialize certain brain functions by trimming redundant connections.

The affected areas in the cortex play a role in the recognition of thoughts and emotions in others.
According to the researchers, the changes assist the mother in asessing the needs of her infant.
In experiments where mothers were shown pictures of their baby, exactly those areas that were affected lit up. The amount of change to the brain matter also correlates strongly to how strong mothers describe the bond to their child to be.

Hoekzema and her colleagues studied brain scans of 25 women before, and after their first pregnancy, and compared those to women who did not get pregnant, and to males who became father for the first time.
Contrary to the fathers, and the non-pregnant women, the mothers underwent significant, identical changes to their brains. When retested 2 years later, most changes also seem to be permanent. The only brain area which restored to nearly it's original size was the hippocampus.

"an elegant studies which clearly shows change in the grey matter", says Lise Eliot, head of the neuroscience department at Chicago Medical School, who wasn't involved in the studies. She does question the assumed function of the changes. "I think to say that it all has to do with social skills, and the bond between mother and child, is a bit ahead of itself. The affected areas play a role in much more than the ability to empathize with another."

Hoekzema adds that the results of their studies should not be used as an excuse by fathers to leave the upbringing of their child to their wife. "These hormone induced changes are not the only way to good parenthood. At most, they can contribute a little."

Understanding these changes could possibly grant more insight into the development of post-natal depression. Hoekzema: "Just like puberty, pregnancy is a period of great alteration of the brains under influence of hormones. With that, it's also a period that's very sensitive to developing mental problems".

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/brein-zwangere-vrouw-krimpt-en-verandert-blijvend~a4436981/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: December 20, 2016, 01:48:23 pm »

So kids not only ruin your life, they (arguably) cause brain damage, mom was right!

...wait, aww, I made myself feel bad.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: December 23, 2016, 01:58:48 pm »

A team of Italian vucanologists warn that 'the monster of Napels', the giant volcano 'Campei Flegrei' could awaken around 2020. They base this on calculations with the gasses escaping from the vulcanic area.
They admit that there still are many factors that could slow down or halt a full eruption, like magma losing viscosity and clogging the pipe.

Still, their calculations show that since 2005, the volcano on which Napels is built, is being inflated from the inside, by water vapour and CO2 released by the magma.
If the trend continues, the system will pass a critical point between 2018 and 2022, after which the rate at which magma releases gas increases exponentially, until the volcano's cap won't hold the pressure and erupts.

The volcanologists refuse to comment on possible effects. The last eruption, in 1538 lasted 'only' a week, but experts agree that the volcano is capable of much larger eruptions.
They conclude that 'the fact that half a million people live in the direct vicinity of the crater (and about 4.5 million in the blastzone) make it a very challenging situation for the authorities'. The Campei Flegrei is considered to be potentially much more dangerous than Vesuvius.

How long would it take to evacuate and relocate 4.5 million people and business? Perhaps the Italian government better start abandoning Napels right away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegraean_Fields
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:02:25 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 339