Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686861 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #375 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:49 pm »

OK, here's a question:

What was the name that creates passwords and stores them for you that apparently several members of this forum uses? Because I'm reaching a point where I'm running out of passwords and I keep forgetting them.
A piece of paper should do the trick. Or you can send yourself an email. Or paint them on the ceiling in the blood of your enemies.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 25, 2013, 01:21:18 am »

Does anyone else leave random glasses of water everywhere so that if you ever feel all of the sudden thirsty, there's a glass right there?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 25, 2013, 01:59:53 am »

Nah. I just tote a gallon jug of water around the house.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 27, 2013, 06:46:52 pm »

OK, here's a question:

What was the name of the program that creates passwords and stores them for you that apparently several members of this forum uses? Because I'm reaching a point where I'm running out of passwords and I keep forgetting them.

I use supergenpass.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2013, 01:10:00 pm »

fraps

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »

For the whole passwords deal, if you have one secure password that you can remember, I learned a tip a few years ago to make it different for each website. Continue to remember your decently secure password, like "abCd3fg" (not actually secure). Then for every website you use it at, insert the first three letters of the URL at specified points in your password: "ababCd3fyg". Then someone who simply steals your password for one site won't necessarily have it for every site you sign up for.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 31, 2013, 01:48:51 pm »

Recording software I know of that can probably record microphones:
Camstudio, hypercam, bandicam, Fraps, Taksi, Dxtory, various streaming softwares.

Lots of people recommend fraps, but thats not free if you want to use it for longer videos.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:56 am »

For the whole passwords deal, if you have one secure password that you can remember, I learned a tip a few years ago to make it different for each website. Continue to remember your decently secure password, like "abCd3fg" (not actually secure). Then for every website you use it at, insert the first three letters of the URL at specified points in your password: "ababCd3fyg". Then someone who simply steals your password for one site won't necessarily have it for every site you sign up for.
The problem with that is that if somebody gets a hold of two or three of them, they will be able too see what your method is easily. I've been looking for a while for a method that avoids that, which would need to take a function of the url, perhaps something based of the location of keys on the keyboard so the casual observer won't notice. The biggest problem is finding a method that one can compute in one's head.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 01, 2013, 02:33:05 am »

Or having a self-written random-password algorithm on your computer that uses both a master (which can probably be put through further encryption with one of the in-head methods) and the website's URL (or some other unique identifier) to generate secure passwords?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2013, 05:04:53 am »

Does anyone else leave random glasses of water everywhere so that if you ever feel all of the sudden thirsty, there's a glass right there?

What? No. I have never in all my years heard of anyone doing that. You appear to be unique in all the human race.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2013, 05:18:25 am »

Don't you get dust in your glasses? I do have a stash of water bottle under my desk (to fill my desk-mounted boiler so I can gorge on infinite amount of ramen and coffee).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 01, 2013, 05:55:00 am »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 01, 2013, 07:11:16 am »

OK, how the hell do you work out how many degrees of entropy your password has?

Because I have NO idea. Seems to not just be the number of letters, numbers or what-have-you in the password.
Not the password itself has entropy, it's the password system that's measured here. Basically, password entropy (aka information) is the difficulty of guessing a password chosen with a specific method (assuming the attacker knows that method), and it's measured so that the method of choosing a randomly generated password by flipping X coins has an entropy of exactly X bits. If you choose a password randomly from a pool of 2000 words, your password has ~11 bits (log_2(2000)). So if you build a password by concatenating four words randomly chosen from that pool of 2000, you have ~44 bits of password information.

The formula for calculating password system entropy is as follows: E(M) = -log2u(PM(u)²)), where the sum operator sums over all possible passwords u, and PM(u) is the possibility of generating u with the method M.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 01, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »

What? No. I have never in all my years heard of anyone doing that. You appear to be unique in all the human race.
I am crazy prepared. It's only a matter of time until I start leaving food in strategic locations.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 01, 2013, 02:01:31 pm »

And then you get various water-borne diseases and moldy food everywhere
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 637