Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686885 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #540 on: March 02, 2014, 10:12:30 pm »

I can't find an answer for this anywhere, so I have to ask here.

Why do horsefly bites hurt? As in, what advantage does it have over flying in, biting something painlessly, and flying off before whatever you bit realises what happened?
If I were to hazard guess, I would say it's because evolution tends to be sort of an incompetent designer that mostly works by adapting previous designs. Given time I'm sure horseflies would become better and better at sneakily obtaining blood without being squashed the way mosquitoes do, but for now the current design seems plenty survivable enough.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 02, 2014, 10:30:53 pm »

There doesn't have to be an advantage, GO. If it's not impacting gene transmission rates compared to other traits, evolution dngaf, to use the technical acronym. Even if it's a "disadvantage" -- and that's assuming painful bites are a disadvantage. They might not be, or the painful aspect might be tangential (and not a loss on the net) to whatever the advantage is.

And apparently plenty of them survive, soooo...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 02, 2014, 10:34:31 pm »

is it weird to have a fear response to computer viruses? not like ''oh shit im gonna have to deal with this'' but actual ''oh shit what no'' accompinied by sweating and seekijg comfort

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 02, 2014, 11:26:02 pm »

is it weird to have a fear response to computer viruses? not like ''oh shit im gonna have to deal with this'' but actual ''oh shit what no'' accompinied by sweating and seekijg comfort
Actual viruses, or just adware and such?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 02, 2014, 11:35:56 pm »

Actual viruses, or just adware and such?

anything of the sort

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 03, 2014, 12:10:27 am »

Depending on how fucked you are if your computer were to die, then yes, it's perfectly natural.

Like me! I'd be fucked entertainment wise, for the most part, but I'd still have means to contact people I care about, and my education would be set-back but not irrecoverably. I have a few pieces of information that I have no back-up for on my computer, but I'd be able to make-do without.

That said, my life does tend to revolve around my computer. I need money so that I can get a back-up hard-drive and a more stable (as in, this thing is falling apart) computer to mitigate such risks. :3

So I can't say I would be HAPPY about my computer dying, but it wouldn't be the end-of-the-world as far as I know.

Whereas others, it might well be, I.E. all their tax information is on their one computer with no back-ups, or their education information is only found on that hard-drive, etc. I.E. Life-impacting.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 03, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »

So how does one post attachments to the forum? I am assuming it's a blocked feature.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »

So how does one post attachments to the forum? I am assuming it's a blocked feature.
By using another site like media fire or dffd.wimbli.com if it's a DF thing and then posting a link. You've never been able to post actual attachments through the forum itself.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 03, 2014, 05:40:26 pm »

By using another site like media fire or dffd.wimbli.com if it's a DF thing and then posting a link. You've never been able to post actual attachments through the forum itself.
Thought so. Just checking.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:02 pm »

I have a small (1v5) DC motor which I plan to use.  It was used, and appears to have a small capacitor soldered between the leads.  What exactly would this do?  My guess is make it run for only a short time after power is applied before short-circuiting, but it seems like that would be counterproductive. 

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #550 on: March 04, 2014, 12:22:42 am »

I have a small (1v5) DC motor which I plan to use.  It was used, and appears to have a small capacitor soldered between the leads.  What exactly would this do?  My guess is make it run for only a short time after power is applied before short-circuiting, but it seems like that would be counterproductive.
If it's connected across the leads (i.e. parallel, not series), then it's purpose is probably to prevent the motor from stopping dead if power is cut, instead making it slow rapidly. The capacitor would only cut it off if it was connected in series, like between one of the leads and the power source.

At least, that's what general knowledge and Google think, and they agree.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2014, 05:35:54 am »

Does anyone have an idea where I can get a cheap variable voltage power supply from? I'm talking ~3-4V, ~40-50A here. (For electrolysis, that's why I need such a high amperage.)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2014, 06:04:16 pm »

Does anyone know how to make a spoiler inside of a spoiler? Whenever I try it, it turns out like this:

Spoiler: Test (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2014, 06:10:58 pm »

One time a fly of indeterminate type bit my knee and I didn't realize it for 10 seconds because I was so engrossed in playing pokemon or something and so after I noticed I chased it away. This is probably not relevant at all.
The fly was probably looking up going "Oh man oh man he hasn't noticed okay play it cool McFly just act natural" and he got like 10 seconds of solid sipping on that leg before he got chased away. Your inattention probably got him into a fly-fraternity.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2014, 06:29:39 pm »

Does anyone know how to make a spoiler inside of a spoiler? Whenever I try it, it turns out like this:

Spoiler: Test (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]
Looks like nested spoilers don't work in this forum.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 637