Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686998 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Hey, is Gamefaqs loading for anybody else? I want to make sure it's not just a problem on my end.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Hey, is Gamefaqs loading for anybody else? I want to make sure it's not just a problem on my end.
Sporadically.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

The vanilla Minecraft server I've been playing on recently is down. Are there any similar servers on Bay12? Preferably vanilla, and not long started.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

For the engineering types out there: are there any equations out there that govern the flow rate (in volume, not velocity) of a liquid through a permeable medium across a slope? I might be able to wrestle some kind of bastard estimate out of a combination of the Hazen-Williams and some fudged numbers, but I'm struggling. The only problem with the Hazen-Williams is that it doesn't take the medium into account.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

The vanilla Minecraft server I've been playing on recently is down. Are there any similar servers on Bay12? Preferably vanilla, and not long started.
]There's a minecraft thread, so it might be best to check there.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I don't think the minecraft thread has talked about vanilla servers in awhile though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile

What is a good free program/library for game development? Something that is suitable for making 2D SNES-era games. I don't need anything too powerful like Unity but I don't want inflexible programs like Game Maker or Construct 2. Also, it should be able to create executables and have a sizeable community so I can easily find help.

Oh, and please do not suggest PyGame. I've tried using PyGame, but the lack of vsync was too huge of a flaw.

EDIT:

After some research I've found C++ SDL to be very appealing and PyGame-like. Are there any major drawbacks to using that?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:37:29 pm by DragonDePlatino »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Monogame, maybe?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

What is a good free program/library for game development? Something that is suitable for making 2D SNES-era games. I don't need anything too powerful like Unity but I don't want inflexible programs like Game Maker or Construct 2.

I wouldn't have said Game Maker was inflexible? I mean, it's produced Spelunky and Angry Laser Space.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile

I looked into it and I think I'll give C++ SDL a shot. PyGame was heavily based off of C++ SDL, so when I looked at some SDL code I could read it very easily even though I don't know anything about C++.

Dwarf Fortress was also done in C++ SDL, which is a huge plus. ;)

Monogame, maybe?

Monogame looks really interesting and I didn't know Towerfall was made in it. I'll give that a shot if SDL proves too complicated for me.

I wouldn't have said Game Maker was inflexible? I mean, it's produced Spelunky and Angry Laser Space.

Game Maker is a very limited program. You can build a game very quickly in it, but games made in GM run consistently slower than games made in other languages. Like PyGame, it's more for prototyping games than actually making them. Note how Spelunky Classic was made in Game Maker, but Spelunky HD was made in C++ DirectX.

The $89.99 pricetag is also a huuuge drawback considering there are better, free alternatives out there.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:48:05 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Gunpoint was also made in GM, I think.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Should I necro the Booze thread to ask a booze-related question, or start a new one?
Ask it here. Too late, I've answered it.

Lemon Lime & Bitters with spiced rum.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

That's old testament though, so you're free to ignore just as much as you're free to ignore the anti-shellfish rules. After all eating invertebrates is an abomination and we decided later that it's ok to do this just because some of them are tasty. Whereas the "no gods" part is just a "don't do this" without the "abomination" label. So going off the biblical language, worshipping saints is not as suspect as eating oysters.

A bit late, but there are specific reasons we can ignore dietary requirement. In Acts 10, Peter get a vision of all kind of animals and the Lard tell him"Kill and Eat" and “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

And then there is Acts 15:19-20:

"15:19  Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

15:20  But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood."

So we can ignore a lot of the old testament stuff, but not all of them (And depending on how you define fornication, gay is not okay).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

For the engineering types out there: are there any equations out there that govern the flow rate (in volume, not velocity) of a liquid through a permeable medium across a slope? I might be able to wrestle some kind of bastard estimate out of a combination of the Hazen-Williams and some fudged numbers, but I'm struggling. The only problem with the Hazen-Williams is that it doesn't take the medium into account.
A modified form of Darcy's Law maybe? I failed Fluid Mechanics twice (mainly due to lack of effort) before switching majors though, so you might want to do some checking on that on your own. I would like to point out that if you had an equation that gave you velocity and you knew the cross-sectional area of your pipe then you could just multiply them together to get total volumetric flow rate though, no need to specifically go straight to volumetric flow rate.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!

The wiki page on Darcy's law isn't loading (it's bizarre, everything else is fine) but I know I looked at it and couldn't figure out how to adapt it. On further consideration, though, I might be able to screw with the g values for the head loss to compensate for the slope. I'll investigate further in the mornig (hopefully it works), thanks.

And I'm kicking myself on the velocity thing, by the way. I should have thought of that.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 637