Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691555 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

So I figured out Skynet, I think.  The premises for my reasoning are the following

1: Skynet is spawned due to an unstable time loop.

2: Being a supercomputer with a time machine and an infinite ammount of energy at it's disposal, we can also regard it as a deity, for practical purposes.

Now, going back to #1: originally Skynet was spawned by a terminator that was sent to kill it's nemesis
If it fails, he gets destroyed by John Snow Connor thirty years down the line at best. Or else he never gets developed at all (EG: terminator 2).
If it succeeds, there is no reason to send a terminator back in time, and thus Skynet unwittingly erases itself from the space-time continuum.

Therefore: the reason we keep getting godawful Terminator sequels with constant retcons, is that Skynet has literally no other option than to send a neverending stream of terminators back in time, which are successful enough to get Skynet built a few years hence, but NOT well enough that they destroy John Connor and close the time loop.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

2: Being a supercomputer with a time machine and an infinite ammount of energy at it's disposal, we can also regard it as a deity, for practical purposes.

How is its power infinite?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Okay I know this is super vague but my brother needs some advice about buying a laptop.  Specifically, on a tight budget.
He needs to be able to emulate with Virtualbox, so it needs a decent CPU speed (and I don't think multiple cores will help with that, beyond dedicating a single one).  Memory is less of an issue since we can upgrade that if need be, and the virtual machine shouldn't need much.

How does one go about buying a cheaper laptop safely?
He's found a used Acer which might be at a decent price, but it's still high.

I used to know a little about hardware and I'm sure most of that is defunct now.  I still feel like AGP is "A good idea, a dedicated slot for graphics".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

There are still AGP slots? :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I don't think so :P
But I'm not even sure either :B
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

For what it's worth, personal experience would say to avoid acer laptops like the plague, unless it was made somewhere around pre-'05 (in which case it won't be even remotely strong enough for what you're asking). Later part of college I went through two of the things in <3 years, one of them new, one of them used. Anything coming out of them that technically has the CPU power you're looking for is entirely too likely to be a piece of junk.

Acer in general just doesn't really make particularly good machines anymore, from what I've had the misfortune to see.

Are... are they really set on a laptop? You can't convince them to go for a desktop? Cost/power wise that's going to be rather significantly better. And if they are dead-set on a laptop, make damn good and certain they don't need a GPU for much.

... as for buying used ones safely, about the best advice I could give you is look for friends/family/etc. that are looking to offload a machine. That's about as safe as you can get. Otherwise don't be too surprised if you have to send something back, or trade it in fairly rapidly. Just find whatever it is that meets the bare minimum at the lowest price, so if things do go southward it's a relatively easy replacement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Yeah, afraid they need a laptop (class). And it's true, an acer laptop has screwed them before actually. It's just considerably cheaper :/ Without factoring in the short lifetime...
I have an old ThinkPad which *may* suffice... slow though, even if I can find the power supply. T61 I think.
She/they

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I don't trust teetotallers.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... is there a question in there?
Ask not!
Ask!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's my two questions:

1) Why does Yoink not trust teetotallers :P

Not a drop of alcohol has passed my lips in more than a decade. Before that I may have had a sip once per year, but I don't even have that now. Am I inherently untrustworthy? You should know better, Yoink. It's best to trust strangers like me on the internet. Where else would you trust them? Real life? Of course not!

2) What are Yoink's bank details...? :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

... is there a question in there?
Nope, just responding to the earlier discussion.
I suppose "why on Earth would you choose not to drink" would make for an excellent question, but I doubt I'd get serious answers.
And even if I did, if those answers were firsthand then they would be untrustworthy anyway, being from the mouths keyboards of teetotallers. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah, I guess if, "Drinking killed about a third of my family, drove half the remainder to various degrees of insanity, and is the root cause for several people I know, including my mother, being abused" isn't a serious answer, there's not really any helping you. When the alcoholism kills you, please don't take anyone else along for the ride.
Ask not!
Ask!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea. My mum's friend is a lovely person, but down to some bad stuff that happened with her husband she turned to drink. She is no longer with her husband, but she lost her job because of alcohol, and really only has my mum left. Even at that, she frequently gets drunk and either calls or texts my mum. Her own daughter doesn't really talk to her, and she has little to do with her grandson.

So if you're looking for reasons not to drink, it's best just to look.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I'm not seeing any reasons not to drink. I'm seeing plenty of reasons not to be a jerk, but not any reasons not to drink.
Drinking socially=!ruining people's lives. Not that I expected y'all to be reasonable on this subject, anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

To spell it out a bit better instead of lashing out a bit against basically spitting on the deaths of much of my family and suffering of much the rest: It's not worth the risk. It's an addictive substance that can very, very easily lead to abuse. You avoid it because it's entirely likely that "drinking socially" leads to ruining peoples lives, and it's pretty bloody likely you won't really be able to stop yourself. That happens, very, very often. Seen it happen far too many times.

Maybe if you're someone that can manage to not go over the line. I've met a few of those. I've seen a lot more that thought they were. They weren't. S'really just best not to touch the stuff.

E: For what it's worth, just like with most other self-destructive behavior, I support people's right to make the choice to drink. All I ask is that they only abuse themselves with it, and don't get anyone killed in the process. Disappointment on that angle looms often, but *shrugs*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:12:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 638