Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691192 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1710 on: October 26, 2015, 12:14:10 pm »

I just stop talking when I need to rethink the rest of the sentence. At least I try to do that instead of making meaningless sounds to fill the pause.

I only do that if I start having to chain filler words. Dropping one in while I work out how exactly to phrase the next thing I want to say isn't usually an issue.

I almost never say like, but I have a tendency toward not, ah, hmm... having the phrasing of whatever I'm trying to get across straight in my head as I'm saying it, so I need to, ah, break for a moment and get my shit straight. People often take the (enormously irritating) opportunity to interrupt during those pauses, so I've been working to drop them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:16:17 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1711 on: October 26, 2015, 12:28:57 pm »

Does anyone know a good fantasy anime, something maybe along the very basic outline of Disney? (Ideals, fighting for a higher purpose, etc.)

Don't worry if you think it's an obvious answer - I won't have heard of it or seen it :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 26, 2015, 12:32:02 pm »

Does anyone know a good fantasy anime, something maybe along the very basic outline of Disney? (Ideals, fighting for a higher purpose, etc.)

Literally anything by Hayao Miyazaki. Or Ghibli studio, which broadens the choice a little. Maybe start off with Tales of the Earthsea. Fits your request best, I think. It was based off some western piece of literature, hence it is pretty much closer to Disney outlines than what Japanese scenarists came up with in others. Methinks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:48:16 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 26, 2015, 12:36:44 pm »

Like, I like thought like all this, like, like was like, like a thing, so, like, PT, like, W.*

*If I ever say "like" that many times in a sentence outside of a joke,  slap me.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 26, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »

Literally anything by Hayao Miyazaki. Or Ghibli studio, which broadens the choice a little. Maybe start off with Tales of the Earthsea. Fits your request best, I think. It was based off on some western piece of literature, hence it is pretty much closer to Disney outlines than what Japanese scenarists came up with in others. Methinks.

I second the recommendation for Studio Ghibli. I think some of their stuff was actually released in the US through Disney, so that says something about how similar they are.

Just, uh, don't start with Grave of the Fireflies if you're looking for something happy or light-hearted.

You should definitely go for Grave of the Fireflies at some point.

Just don't open with it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: October 26, 2015, 12:58:19 pm »

Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are good ones to see first, I think.  Princess Mononoke was fairly straightforward too, and excellent ("He's a god, it'll take more than one shot").  Nausicaa was a lot tougher, and I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet.

They all have dark themes contrasted with beautiful nature and spirited people.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 26, 2015, 01:22:18 pm »

First thing I saw from Miyazaki was Porco Rosso. Loved everything about it, decided to check out what else this studio made. Was not disappointed.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 26, 2015, 01:59:57 pm »

Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away are good ones to see first, I think.  Princess Mononoke was fairly straightforward too, and excellent ("He's a god, it'll take more than one shot").  Nausicaa was a lot tougher, and I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet.

They all have dark themes contrasted with beautiful nature and spirited people.
Why do I feel like I've actually seen one of those.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 26, 2015, 02:01:54 pm »

I used to have that quote in my signature?
Spirited Away was pretty popular for a while so you may have seen it a few years ago.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 26, 2015, 02:03:18 pm »

Spirited Away was also on toonami once, when it was in the evening cn area instead of the midnight+ adult swim area.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 26, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »

I used to have that quote in my signature?
Spirited Away was pretty popular for a while so you may have seen it a few years ago.
It was something with giant caterpillars.  Or, they might not have been actual giant caterpillars (no butterflies) but they looked like giant caterpillars.  Either that or, really, Mothra larva lookalikes.

No, this was on an actual DVD.
Sigtext

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 26, 2015, 02:14:18 pm »

It was something with giant caterpillars.  Or, they might not have been actual giant caterpillars (no butterflies) but they looked like giant caterpillars.  Either that or, really, Mothra larva lookalikes.

Pretty sure that's Nausicaa. And they more like enormously bloated armored centipedes, for that matter. Lots of little legs, you see.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:16:42 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 26, 2015, 02:19:48 pm »

I'm gonna go with "Maybe".  Thanks though.
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 27, 2015, 03:44:08 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions! I've watched Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, so far.

But I just remembered I saw one in a music video. I can't remember much, only that it had a boy on the porch of a house. There was a woman there. Some people come and one in particular goes to the woman, who stands with him. The boy goes towards them but is (somehow, can't remember) beaten down and lies on the steps, with the woman looking on.

I know it's very little to go on, but it piqued my curiosity.

Edit: I also seem to recall there were some epic-esque battles later on. Sorry for skimpy details :/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:50:02 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 28, 2015, 12:08:37 am »

If I wanted to do a forum game involving tile based combat, what would be the best way to do that?  So far I have putting everything in Roll20 and taking screenshots, but the Fire Emblem on the Forums people seem to have a better way.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 638