Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686934 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2940 on: November 13, 2016, 06:06:27 pm »

Make it Tayga, and colour me content.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: November 13, 2016, 07:11:34 pm »

But then the joke no longer works...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: November 13, 2016, 07:23:51 pm »

A joke no longer works. A new one does.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: November 13, 2016, 08:35:04 pm »

...It's an old poem. Most words ending with "y" at the time ended in an "ai" sound.

For example, from John Keats' Lamia:

And for the youth, quick, let us strip for him
The thyrsus, that his watching eyes may swim
Into forgetfulness; and, for the sage,
Let spear-grass and the spiteful thistle wage
War on his temples. Do not all charms fly
At the mere touch of cold philosophy?

Also fuck that poem lmao

So yeah, symmetry, philosophy, eye, aye, pry, lie, electrify, all rhymed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:36:38 pm by Putnam »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2944 on: November 14, 2016, 12:58:14 am »

...It's an old poem. Most words ending with "y" at the time ended in an "ai" sound.

This is a matter of contention that is almost impossible to prove one way or another.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: November 14, 2016, 01:12:54 am »

This is a matter of contention that is almost impossible to prove one way or another.
No it isn't!

Historical linguistics!

And stuff!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2946 on: November 14, 2016, 01:18:53 am »

Nobody's managed it yet. There's really very little in the way of recordings of pronunciations.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: November 14, 2016, 05:52:47 am »

If all Witchers can do magic, can everyone do magic or is magic mutated into them?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: November 14, 2016, 06:13:27 am »

The only magic Witchers typically do are the Signs, which are like base process magic. Even that takes them years to learn, Geralt is just prodigy-level at them because he's the son of a witch. Actual capital-M Magic seems to require either genetics or...unsavory deals, and makes the Signs look like child's play.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: November 14, 2016, 06:36:08 am »

That's, uh. ASMR, I'm pretty sure. Something related, at least.
So you're saying that they got ASMR from ASTHMA :P

read it out loud
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:11 am »

Nobody's managed it yet. There's really very little in the way of recordings of pronunciations.
Actually, a systematic deviation from rhyme would be about as conclusive a proof as any proof in humanities can be conclusive, since we know that 18th - century Western poetry shares its basic rules regarding rhyme with contemporary Western poetry (from 18th - century meta writings regarding poetry). So we have two competing hypotheses: one, that these words were pronounced differently, and two, that basic rhyming rules did not apply to these words, and to them specifically. I'll leave it to you to determine which is more likely.

And for written languages, even those that have a systematized and rigid orthography, pronunciation can be restored through error analysis, for example. There are a lot of methods through which older pronunciations can be restored with a high degree of certainty, see here, for instance. The key words are 'high degree of certainty', of course, but that's really just how it works. Less wrong and all that.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: November 14, 2016, 08:45:08 am »

... I mean, when it comes to likelihood, here. We are talking english. And poetry. Reason would say the words are pronounced differently but reason has very little to do with the subject being discussed :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2952 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:31 am »

So we have two competing hypotheses: one, that these words were pronounced differently, and two, that basic rhyming rules did not apply to these words, and to them specifically.

Nope, you missed one: that the poet intentionally misrhymed it to be jarring for effect, consistent with the fact that the tiger's fearful symmetry cannot be framed and the alterations in the final stanza.

It's suddenly a lot less obvious which one is more likely, isn't it? :P

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: November 14, 2016, 08:52:55 am »

So we have two competing hypotheses: one, that these words were pronounced differently, and two, that basic rhyming rules did not apply to these words, and to them specifically.

Nope, you missed one: that the poet intentionally misrhymed it to be jarring for effect, consistent with the fact that the tiger's fearful symmetry cannot be framed and the alterations in the final stanza.

It's suddenly a lot less obvious which one is more likely, isn't it? :P
You missed the word 'systematic' in my post. It's the third one from the beginning. We would have to suppose that multiple poets, all independently of one another, decided to misrhyme those words and those words specifically. We have Putnam's example, that shows that Blake was not the only one who did it with those words, and I am sure others can be found.

And in any case, I was referring more to methodology in general than this concrete example. A systematic deviation from rhyme is conclusive proof that something was pronounced differently as far as any proof in humanities is conclusive.

Edit: this does not necessarily mean that this was so during Blake's time specifically - he might have been emulating earlier examples, like Shakespeare, who also did it. But that it was so some time in the past is very likely.ъ

Edit Edit: May have come of as assholish. Sorry. Your statement that Blake might have done it for effect is not mutually exclusive with my statement that 'symmetry' was pronounced differently in the past. In fact, it might have been a sort of double brainy git move on his part, where he got his jarring effect, but also masked it with a kind of tongue-in-cheek historical reference. That sounds like something he would do, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:14:34 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: November 14, 2016, 08:56:45 am »

Signs are child's play.
Geralt is genetics.
Thanks!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 637