Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691143 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #5835 on: May 06, 2020, 11:39:12 am »

What are the "cards" called that are sometimes displayed after a TV show, usually just tucked in for a brief moment either before or after the credits and usually displaying stuff about the makers/producers of the show, sometimes with details, jokes and/or running gags that vary between episodes?   
Isn't that just included in what is called the opening credits/title sequence?
A running gag in the intro is known as a 'coach gag' due to it's association with the Simpsons

those (usually) animated logo-type things one generally sees attached by film studios to the beginning of their films, which is incidentally something else I would like to know the proper word for.   
Production logo
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: May 06, 2020, 11:41:29 am »

What are the "cards" called that are sometimes displayed after a TV show, usually just tucked in for a brief moment either before or after the credits and usually displaying stuff about the makers/producers of the show, sometimes with details, jokes and/or running gags that vary between episodes?   
Isn't that just included in what is called the opening credits/title sequence?
A running gag in the intro is known as a 'coach gag' due to it's association with the Simpsons
Couch gag?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: May 06, 2020, 12:25:28 pm »

What? You've never watched the Simpsons before?
Couch Gag

More details can be found here
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: May 06, 2020, 12:43:04 pm »

What? You've never watched the Simpsons before?
Couch Gag

More details can be found here
I’ve seen it, I just corrected coach to couch. Your quote said coach gag, so the question was did you mean couch gag?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: May 06, 2020, 01:40:49 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:00:55 pm by dragdeler »
let

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: May 10, 2020, 07:36:57 pm »

In the Half Life universe, if the Combine conquered Earth in just seven hours, how could they be so weak that some random guy (Gordon Freeman, and Alyx Vance in the newest game) could deal them serious blows?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: May 10, 2020, 07:58:26 pm »

I mean, he mostly seems to be fighting human or mostly-human enemies. People who either joined the combine after or were "converted".
The actual army of the combine during the seven hours war would probably be made up of entirely of the bio-mechanical enemies you see. Striders, gunships, hunters... Probably advisors, too.
I think that the overall implication is that the main, extremely scary combine army left to go conquer more worlds, and we don't have to fight them because creating a portal between worlds is costly. I think in episode 2 a lot of the plot consists of stopping the combine on earth from sending a signal for reinforcements.

But yeah, most of the forces left on earth at the time of HL2 are pretty much a vanguard of humans and enhanced human tech. The soldiers are human, using human guns. The attack helicopters look like human designs made with combine tech. Manhacks and weaponized headcrabs are weapons designed for fighting humans and would be less useful for conquering new worlds.
I guess you could speculate that that's why the G-man took Gordon out of stasis after the 7-hour war, rather than during it. The combine forces on earth were weaker at that time.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: May 12, 2020, 11:02:17 am »

Just how secure is Tor Browser? I use it a lot unless I need a fast browser, or something breaks with Tor. This forum works great with it, at least, so do many other forums I am in.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: May 12, 2020, 11:22:17 am »

Tor uses onion routing, so in theory anyone in between you and the site you're going to who's routing your signal (or listening in) cannot tell who is the sender and who is the recipient. However, at the ends of the route, i.e. the people who are directly talking to you or directly talking to the server, can tell who the corresponding endpoint of the connection is, and the HTTP path etc. So if you log in to Facebook or whatever, whoever's listening in on the end of the route can tell that the person with your username is currently accessing Facebook. Mostly it's only useful for sites without accounts or such but just news or stuff like that, is my understanding.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: May 12, 2020, 11:56:10 am »

Nobody responded to my rant about the lore of HL2. Sadness.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: May 12, 2020, 11:57:01 am »

I haven't played any of the half-game lives
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: May 12, 2020, 11:59:23 am »

I haven't either

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: May 12, 2020, 12:09:01 pm »

Why does my cat sound creaky when he meows?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: May 12, 2020, 12:16:27 pm »

I really liked HL1, but couldn't finish HL2. It felt like a generic extended tech demo (probably because it was a large enough influence on future FPS games to define what "generic" meant), whereas HL1 felt like an excellent balance between older styles and modern games. I say this as someone who played them both for the first time more than a decade after they came out.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: May 12, 2020, 01:17:38 pm »

"Extended tech demo" is a pretty good descriptor, honestly. The physics (and to a lesser extent, graphics) for the time were revolutionary and awe-inspiring.
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 [390] 391 392 ... 638