Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686913 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #6030 on: July 06, 2020, 10:59:44 am »

Yeah, I've always heard it was stress-related eczema.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: July 06, 2020, 08:28:36 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:04:01 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: July 06, 2020, 09:45:32 pm »

Both and neither.

(Discretely prods toward Baudrillard's seminal text.)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: July 07, 2020, 04:16:37 am »

Looks like it is dyshidrosis. It also answers the question of what the hell that rash I had about 10 years ago was after using a certain moisturiser.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: July 07, 2020, 04:46:49 am »

Kobold blisters
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: July 07, 2020, 06:04:42 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:04:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: July 07, 2020, 06:12:19 am »

Simulacra and Simulation is...well, it's not the worst philosophy I've ever read. Actually the ideas in it are pretty amazing but Baudrillard is a fucking bastard about conveying them, so you're really best off reading the book and then immediately watching The Matrix trilogy and playing MGS2 to try and absorb it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: July 08, 2020, 04:46:03 am »

It's not really buadrillard's fault.  The english version text is a translation from French. French has about umpteen billion ways to say the same thing, with subtle twists and turns that can completely flip the literal intention 180 degrees, depending on how it is used.

The translator did the best they could to translate from French.

For what it is worth though, "Difficult to read" is not the right phrase. The subject matter is evocative-- Once you grok what is attempting to get put across, you will see it EVERY DAMN WHERE-- but "Getting there" is difficult, when the text rambles and recurses on itself, in meta-comentary of the subject it is meant to convey.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:47:42 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: July 20, 2020, 12:27:49 pm »

Are people in the states or otherwise abroad from me just as confused about who is chip and who is dale of chip and Dale as we are about Piff & Puff here in Sweden?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: July 20, 2020, 01:11:17 pm »

I thought Chip was the one with the hat and Dale was the one in the Hawaiian shirt.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: July 20, 2020, 01:23:55 pm »

If I remember correctly, Chip and Dale are the two chipmunks that like to steal things

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: July 20, 2020, 01:24:40 pm »

They were Rescue Rangers, actually.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: July 20, 2020, 01:26:19 pm »

I thought Chip was the one with the hat and Dale was the one in the Hawaiian shirt.
Yep; Dale is the one with the red nose.

Well in the original cartoons, they were pretty mischievous and stealy... Also naked :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: July 20, 2020, 02:27:00 pm »

Simulacra and Simulation is...well, it's not the worst philosophy I've ever read. Actually the ideas in it are pretty amazing but Baudrillard is a fucking bastard about conveying them, so you're really best off reading the book and then immediately watching The Matrix trilogy and playing MGS2 to try and absorb it.

It's probably not the best to try and understand that theory through The Matrix. A lot of people can't seem to understand the nuances. EDIT: had to look this up to check, but Kagus mentioned that someone responded to a mention of Simulacra and Simulation with a critique that rejected the Simulation theory of reality. Without having read it of course. Pointing people at The Matrix is just likely to make the dumber and more ill-informed rather than as a jumping off point to understanding the nuances of Baudrillard's work.

The real point is that our symbols are the simulation, since we interpret the world through our symbols and by manipulating our symbolic representations. The really ironic part of this is someone rejecting Simulacra and Simulation based on a misunderstanding that this has something to do with the living-in-acomputer-simulation theory of reality. That person has heard some new information out of context, and immediately and assertively slotted that (incorrectly) into their existing internal model. Which is kind of what Simulacra and Simulation is all about. Saying "the ideas are explored in The Matrix" is more likely to lead people to believe that Simulacra and Simulation is just a book claiming that The Matrix is actually real rather than saying that The Matrix explores the ideas.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 02:49:02 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: July 20, 2020, 05:57:20 pm »

I honestly thought it was the male Hooters-like place, but apparently that's spelled differently.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 637