Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686933 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7050 on: March 13, 2021, 08:15:45 am »

Would it be profitable to try crypto mining on those crappy Android set-top boxes? I can get one with a Rockchip RK3229 (4 cores, up to 1.5 GHz), 1 GB of RAM, and 8 GB of flash for all of $16 equivalent, so I'm wondering, entirely for shits and giggles, if it's profitable at all to try and mine on those. Bitcoin and Ethereum are entirely out of the question. They both require far too much RAM to even try.

Extending the idea further, would it make any sense to essentially make a Beowulf cluster of just a fuckton of Android set-top boxes? Raspberry Pi Zeros cost about the same here anyway, and you only get a dinky single-core running at 1 GHz, 512 MB of RAM, and no internal storage for that price. Thankfully, someone has already figured out to run Linux on these things, so that part isn't an issue. There's no WiFi support once you're in Linux, but it's impractical for distributed computing; Ethernet's faster and more reliable.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: March 13, 2021, 10:12:49 am »

Would it be profitable to try crypto mining on those crappy Android set-top boxes? I can get one with a Rockchip RK3229 (4 cores, up to 1.5 GHz), 1 GB of RAM, and 8 GB of flash for all of $16 equivalent, so I'm wondering, entirely for shits and giggles, if it's profitable at all to try and mine on those. Bitcoin and Ethereum are entirely out of the question. They both require far too much RAM to even try.

Extending the idea further, would it make any sense to essentially make a Beowulf cluster of just a fuckton of Android set-top boxes? Raspberry Pi Zeros cost about the same here anyway, and you only get a dinky single-core running at 1 GHz, 512 MB of RAM, and no internal storage for that price. Thankfully, someone has already figured out to run Linux on these things, so that part isn't an issue. There's no WiFi support once you're in Linux, but it's impractical for distributed computing; Ethernet's faster and more reliable.

Probably not a lot? The power costs can get pretty high. The successful people had enough money for extreme rigs, got in on the ground floor, or can use other people's computers (which has zero cost for themselves).

Relatedly, can anyone explain how cryptocurrency is different than a ponzi scheme? Nothing of value is really being created, so the only money is from people who buy the coins because they can make money off of them. Then, at some point, the particular blockchain comes to an end, and...

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: March 13, 2021, 12:31:16 pm »

That problem applies to more than just cryptocurrency unfortunately. A lot of stocks are like this too. WeWork is a famous example.

Venture capital as a whole is broken. The incentives are aligned in such a way, that it makes more sense to invest in the company that has the most hype (ie. charismatic founder) rather than a company that actually has a functioning business model. Hype usually exceeds reality so you can make more money off of it.

All you have to do is sell the stock to some shmuck who actually believes the hype, and voila, you made a smart and perfectly legal investment and are ready to repeat the cycle again.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:38:04 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: March 13, 2021, 05:08:12 pm »

Relatedly, can anyone explain how cryptocurrency is different than a ponzi scheme? Nothing of value is really being created, so the only money is from people who buy the coins because they can make money off of them. Then, at some point, the particular blockchain comes to an end, and...
Can you explain how dollar bills are different from a ponzi scheme? Nothing of value is really being created, they're just ink on paper...

In other words, the goal of cryptocurrency is to be money, not to gain money.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: March 13, 2021, 06:40:30 pm »

Would there even be a point to trying to open a Patreon/other funding site with how overcrowded the TTRPG field is? I'm starting a re-write again, and I am *really* hurting for money, but I don't know if anyone would bite, you know?

The other problem with TTRPGs is that they're really low margin. They're a thing to create when you have extra time and money to do so, not to make money.

If you can convince people to give you money to spend your time making the thing, then go for it. But, like others have said, it's also a saturated market.

Good luck to you either way. I know you've got health/pain stuff, which never makes working easy.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: March 13, 2021, 09:25:13 pm »

Dollars aren't a ponzi scheme.  Bitcoin isn't either.  Bitcoin does have significant early-adopter windfall imbalance though.  Dollars did not have an early-adopter windfall imbalance.  The imbalance from dollars comes from "if you have a lot, it's easier to make more" and in the banking system in that there is special licensing required to become a bank. 

I think the early-adopter windfall is what people are confusing with 'ponzi' - it's the same phenomenon as winning big on an IPO or something.  Basically it's getting a huge benefit with no actual work behind it.

I think the ire is that these companies aren't investing in the bitcoin network - they are speculating on the price of the coins.  It makes it look like the companies are trying to win the lottery and play the investment banking game, rather than actually make money from their "primary" activity.  I mean seriously if Tesla can make a cool billion by simply playing in Bitcoin, why the heck would you want them to be in the expensive business of making cars?

It's not a ponzi scheme... but it's a new way of making money off activities that aren't related to making goods and services.  Arguably the only "real" benefit of bitcoin is in the technology that drives it, even though it's very... frivolous.  The question is, does that technology improvement in ASICs and GPUs offset the massive use of energy? Is this a wise use of resources?  How will we even know?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: March 13, 2021, 10:09:55 pm »

Basically it's getting a huge benefit with no actual work behind it.
You know, I notice that the people who say this never, if it's so easy, do it themselves.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: March 13, 2021, 10:34:25 pm »

Easy or not, the time to get into bitcoin mining was about 10+ years ago, when the main risk was "what if this stupid bitcoin shit never catches on?"  If it didn't catch on then you wasted a lot of time and money you could've put to a more conventional investment.

Now you're buying into some insano GPU rig that basically can only do mining, plus whatever energy costs, long before you ever start to break even, if ever.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: March 13, 2021, 11:05:34 pm »

You know, I notice that the people who say this never, if it's so easy, do it themselves.

I mean, a large part of our economy runs on treating the household work of women at a $0 material value. Get wife = print money.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: March 13, 2021, 11:08:26 pm »

You can't pull a WeWork unless you're already a millionaire (though it's better to be a billionaire to be safe). The way you make money off of an overhyped IPO or Initial Public Offering, is by getting in on the stock before the IPO launches. That is, by becoming a private investor first.

It's a lot harder to invest privately than publicly. Private investment requires you to organize meetings with company owners directly, and those guys will only give you the time of day if you promise to shell out a lot for them (hence the millionaire requirement). Even if you do have a lot of money, you're still competing with other 0.1 percenters who have the exact same idea you do, but possibly even deeper pockets. There's only so much stock you can sell before you lose control of your company so this limited supply is going to go to the highest bidder. The 1% of the 0.1%.

So long story short, the reason why everyone isn't doing this is because only a few people have enough money. Further complicating things is that hyping a stock and its eventual IPO is genuinely difficult. I never said that it was easy. The bullshiters selling this snake oil have genuine talent, but when you do this for a decade it becomes easy for you, though that applies to anything you devote enough practice to.

The real problem is that selling bullshit is more profitable than investing in successful businesses. Finding the next Steve jobs requires finding an exceptional individual who both has a revolutionary idea, and enough business sense to actually capitalize on it. The first part is already pretty tricky, but combined with the second makes it a search for a needle in a haystack. It's much easier to find a charismatic narcissistic or con-man who thinks he's the shit, and then give him a platform to preach his well-articulated message to the gullible masses. From a distance, they look like the same thing. I mean Steve Jobs was both the former and the latter!

It's the honest businesses that suffer the most from this. Smaller ideas with more realistic profit margins are shoved to wayside as the venture capitalists instead try to get into the next big thing. Money that could have been spent on companies that create products that improve our lives instead goes into companies that suck up the public's money and then vanish into thin air within a couple of years.

We live in very interesting times.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: March 14, 2021, 12:55:17 am »

There's a reason it's called capital-ism.
I guess a lot of workers could pool their disposable incomes just to find out that megawealth is orders of magnitude more important than a few hundred people's best efforts.  Not enough to influence prices enough for profit, if that would even be a good thing.

Then there's the Gamestop anomaly which will, anew, fool people into thinking that small investments have any meaningful weight.  Popular involvement in the stock market is a tax the rich levy on those without good "tips".  At best it's gambling, but it's so obviously stacked.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: March 14, 2021, 01:20:44 am »

It’s so disgusting how people were preaching about how holding GameStop shares was going to bring Wall Street to its knees. Any investor worth their salt diversifies their portfolio.

It was a blatant lie that lots of people fell for. All to inflate the share price.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: March 14, 2021, 02:28:42 am »

So how exactly does Bitcoin mining work?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7063 on: March 14, 2021, 02:30:15 am »

Math iterating upon previous math, more or less. Constantly gets more complicated and more resource-intensive.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7064 on: March 14, 2021, 02:35:32 am »

I had a coworker who put solar panels on her roof and the family decided to use any excess power generation to mine bitcoin.

It really pissed me off. She was doing fine financially and was doing this with the aim of making more money, I guess to be filthy rich. She's already rich, has a house, husband, children, cars, steady job, easy life. Calling that power "excess power" when we need to decrease power consumption is something else.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 637