Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002091 times)

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2430 on: October 27, 2012, 01:32:01 am »

Veteran's Day expresses our fear that one day someone might actually not be willing to get themself shot in our name.
Pfft, as long as there are peeps to make ridiculous promises, there'll be brave peeps to get shot for said promises.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: October 27, 2012, 03:21:45 am »

These two girls in my history class were arguing over whether the Mayan calendar was supposed to end on the 21st or 23rd of December, this year. This was brought about by some mention of it in a poorly-made History Channel type video. Anyway, one of them said "I know the world is supposed end on the 23rd because that's what I heard, and that's my mom's birthday". Apparently this was convincing enough evidence for the other girl. They then proceeded to talk about how they were going to attend parties and stuff right before those days. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they just wanted an excuse to party; I hope they don't actually buy into any of this stupid mass-hysteria.

I really enjoyed the three other ends of the world this year. I wonder how this one will compare.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2432 on: October 27, 2012, 05:51:06 am »

*ahem*
Attention. They found several thousand more years worth of Mayan calendar.
Repeat, they found, several thousand, more years, of Mayan, calendar

My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: October 27, 2012, 05:53:43 am »

*ahem*Attention. They found several thousand more years worth of Mayan calendar.
Repeat, they found, several thousand, more years, of Mayan, calendar
Yet some people still believe that the world will end.
I dont even understand. And now everybody will quote this so they dont have to quote huge text.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: October 27, 2012, 05:56:36 am »

Yeah. There's no hypothetical reason for the hypothetical end of the world to hypothetically happen.

It's like claiming your toaster's broken because you forgot to plug it in, then plugging it in but continuing to claim it's broken anyway, despite it being demonstrably used several times to make delicious delicious toast.
My cabbages!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: October 27, 2012, 06:07:57 am »

Actually i think the mayan calender is in Bak'tun 12 now, and in december it rolls over to Bak'tun 13. What happens in thousands of years is that it hits Bak'tun 20 (it's a base-20 system). So they run out of Bak'tun's.

The problem with even saying that is the end of the world, is that there are Mayan Stellae with higher order relative dates - units of 20 several orders about a bak'tun - dates so large that they are literally 400 million years in the future.

The 2012 thing is like going "OMG year 2000 - end of the world!" and the date 1000's of years from now is like going "OMG year 9999 - we're out of digits - end of the world!". The Mayans already accounted for how such dates are extended, just like how base-10 is extensible. Bak-tun 20 becomes zero, and you increment the next higher position. There just hasn't been enough time elapsed from the Mayan's time to need that many digits yet.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:12:20 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: October 27, 2012, 07:29:33 am »

Am I the only one who doesn't particularily care about the Mayan's opinion on the end of the world and/or calendar making?

PD: Want to hear my pet theory on (not-quite)end-of-the-world? Some time in the future all this weather change sheanigans will eventually result in changes in the microbial flora, and a Permian extinction Mk 2, with human civilization being poetically smothered by bacterian farts. A fitting end for the species that created Justin Bieber and 4chan.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:42:21 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Forums User Meat Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • meet whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:34 am »

I think I can confidently predict that the end of the world will be so boring that nearly no-one will even bother talking about it the next day.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: October 27, 2012, 08:06:11 am »

I think I can confidently predict that the end of the world will be so boring that nearly no-one will even bother talking about it the next day.
*badum-tish*

Also, welcome to the forums i guess.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: October 27, 2012, 08:08:18 am »

The 2012 thing is like going "OMG year 2000 - end of the world!"

This reminds me of a funny subplot from the webcomic Goats that deliberately combines the Mayan thing with the Y2K thing.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2440 on: October 27, 2012, 08:26:57 am »

These two girls in my history class were arguing over whether the Mayan calendar was supposed to end on the 21st or 23rd of December, this year. This was brought about by some mention of it in a poorly-made History Channel type video. Anyway, one of them said "I know the world is supposed end on the 23rd because that's what I heard, and that's my mom's birthday". Apparently this was convincing enough evidence for the other girl. They then proceeded to talk about how they were going to attend parties and stuff right before those days. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they just wanted an excuse to party; I hope they don't actually buy into any of this stupid mass-hysteria.

Next time people talk about the whole "2012 end of the world" thing, ask them one question.

"Do you panic on December 31st of every fucking year?" because that's kinda the end of the calender too...
The Mayans just liked planning ahead further with their dates, on account of not having a "fixed" system.
To be fair, they do PARTY at the end of every year. Maybe some of that is a subconscious fear of the world ending.
Maybe birthday parties are just an expression of our subconscious fear of our lives ending.
To me birthdays have always been celebrations for living one more year :D

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: October 27, 2012, 08:32:18 am »

New Year's End Parties are traditionally for warding off evil spirits and demons. We make a lot of noise and chime bells and the like.
My cabbages!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:16 am »

My new year's celebration is traditionally watching a great deal of the local council's money go up in flames fireworks display and going ooh. The only reason it's restricted to new year's is because for some reason they only want to do it once per year.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 27, 2012, 08:40:39 am »

Chrismas-newyear period for me is visiting family and fancy dinners and such. My mom's quite a good cook.
It's also nice to see some of the more distant family again. I typically only see them a few times a year. And i dont have alot of close family compared to many people. 1 uncle with a wife and a kid, 4 grandparents. (and my parents ofcourse)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 27, 2012, 09:57:36 am »

The 2012 thing is like going "OMG year 2000 - end of the world!" and the date 1000's of years from now is like going "OMG year 9999 - we're out of digits - end of the world!".

I'd assume mankind would at least have the sense to just roll the year over to 10000. It's not like in year 99 everyone panicked because "We can't possibly count that high!" or anything like that. They just said it's year 100, cheers.

Alternatively, can you imagine the huge parties and everything that would happen at the end of 9999, seeing how 1999 jumping to 2000 was such a celebratory event?

Assuming of course by then we haven't nuked ourselves to oblivion over some petty issue and at least started space colonization.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 510