Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004482 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #3570 on: February 04, 2013, 10:35:10 pm »

I get somewhat confused when people use 'Indie' like it always means good. There are a lot of indie games out there that are awesome. But there are some that are... You know. Not good. I understand that many game companies produce the same game over and over again with minor changes (Call of Duty, Killzone, Gears of War, etc.) but some of them like... Innovate. And stuff. Like Total War games. Same game over and over again, if you come down to brass tacks. But not.

What I am saying is that there is good and bad of both, and that it confuses me that there is this hipster-ish urge to use 'Indie' to mean something other than 'independantly produced game'. Or am I reading too much into this whole argument?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »

I feel like all Steam does for "indie" games is replace the old-school publisher with a promoter/hoster than serves the exact same role from a business perspective. In my - obviously controversial - opinion, indie devs who sell their stuff via Steam aren't really independent anymore.
Except steam doesn't fill the same role that older style distribution publishers did.
A lot of publishers are picky about what they will accept because they don't want to take a gamble and loose. So, they either only accept a certain range of games that follow a proven formula, or influence the construction process so that more fringe games better fit these formulas.

Steam just lets people go for it, do what ever they like, and then has the community vote for what they want.

The heart of indie gaming is innovation, and the sole is over emotional retro style games (Looking at you Cave Story!) both things that publishers are shy of, but Steam don't give a damn.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: February 04, 2013, 10:40:52 pm »

I get somewhat confused when people use 'Indie' like it always means good. There are a lot of indie games out there that are awesome. But there are some that are... You know. Not good.

Indie games are cool because they're not made by big, evil megacorporations that only care about how many dollars they can squeeze out of your bank account.

Sent from my iPhone 5 at Starbucks
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:44:30 pm by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: February 04, 2013, 10:43:27 pm »

I get somewhat confused when people use 'Indie' like it always means good. There are a lot of indie games out there that are awesome. But there are some that are... You know. Not good.

Indie games are cool because they're not made by big, evil megacorporations that only care about how many dollars they can squeeze out of your bank account.

Sent from my iPhone 5 at Starbucks

I'm not wearing a scarf and my glasses have both normal frames AND are prescription. Could you run that by this plebian one more time, because I've definitely never heard of that band ever before.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: February 04, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »

I would wear a scarf, except that it is the southern hemisphere here and the temperature is approaching levels where the atmosphere starts to ionize.
Any other time, fuck yea!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: February 04, 2013, 10:46:59 pm »

I feel like all Steam does for "indie" games is replace the old-school publisher with a promoter/hoster than serves the exact same role from a business perspective.

I really don't understand what you mean here. Since Valve does not act as publishers at all for games on steam. Like. At all. You do realize that publishers actually do things other then just taking a percentage of the sales correct? That's not the only thing they do.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: February 04, 2013, 10:47:17 pm »

I would wear a scarf, except that it is the southern hemisphere here and the temperature is approaching levels where the atmosphere starts to ionize.
Any other time, fuck yea!

¿ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ uı ǝʌıן noʎ os

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: February 04, 2013, 10:48:48 pm »

Indie can often be more unique, though. Having a lower budget means that you can experiment more because the loss won't be as big if it's unpopular.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: February 04, 2013, 10:49:13 pm »

What, no love for Left 4 Dead or the sequel?

Portal? Portal 2?

Portal was basically a two-hour demo. Portal 2 I forgot, but honestly it was disappointingly short for its price.

Left 4 Dead (and its sequels) is my selection for "most overrated Valve game", beating even TF2. I understand everyone has a different opinion, but that is mine.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: February 04, 2013, 10:50:07 pm »

¿ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ uı ǝʌıן noʎ os
¡ǝƃɐnƃuɐl ǝʌıʇɐu ʎɯ sʞɐǝds oɥʍ ʎpoqǝɯos ʎllɐuıɟ ¡sǝʎ

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: February 04, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »

Portal? Portal 2?

Portal was basically a two-hour demo.
What do you mean?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:21 pm »

Portal? Portal 2?

Portal was basically a two-hour demo.
What do you mean?
He means that Portal was pretty short and in many ways a sort of tech demo. Then they took everything they learned and made Portal 2 with it.

I think that's what he meant.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:21 pm »

Indie can often be more unique, though. Having a lower budget means that you can experiment more because the loss won't be as big if it's unpopular.

Uniqueness and quality have no causal relationship. Look at Black Ops 2: the exact same gameplay as the eight or nine games before it (with a couple innovations) but it's still a good game.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:59 pm »

Uniqueness and quality have no causal relationship. Look at Black Ops 2: the exact same gameplay as the eight or nine games before it (with a couple innovations) but it's still a good game.
That's VERY debatable.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:15 pm »

Actually. Unless you want to debate the definition of game I really don't think it is.

I have not played any of those shooter games for years, because back when I was a kid I played one and got pretty much all that I want from them forever. But that does not mean that technically speaking it is a good game, and even if you disagree with some of the implementation, that is more a personal preference thing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:05:49 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 510