Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002153 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5115 on: June 17, 2013, 11:33:41 pm »

Fine, fine.
I'm looking at Dwarf Fortress' Desura page and reading through the low reviews. Funny stuff man.
Linkey?
Here.
My favorite review was "this game gave me 13 Trojan horse's!" If you can't download Dwarf Fortress, you should probably give up on the internet, at least for awhile.
FTFY
Possibly, though, he was referring to an FB.

A nice quote, even if he misspelled immature:
Not to mention that many, many other very populer games are heavily inspired by Dwarf Fortress, an example being Minecraft, and Towns. As much as the imature Minecraft community would like to deny, Minecraft and every game "based" off minecraft would never have come to be without this game.
Also, a good anti-graphics argument:
And, for all those whiners, that whine about the graphics, if this game had any batter graphics then it has now, even baisic flash stuff, your computer would probobly exlode into 1000 pieces, even the most advenced computer you can buy.
Didn't someone actually run DF on a supercomputer once?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:35 am »

On the graphics aspect, that's actually not true. Graphics run on their own separate thread, and well, use the GPU rather than the CPU. Plenty of room for improvement.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: June 18, 2013, 06:07:32 am »

A person accused me of being racist for saying that you can buy bootleg DVDs in some Chinese supermarkets. I say this because I have been to China.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5118 on: June 18, 2013, 06:19:37 am »

A person accused me of being racist for saying that you can buy bootleg DVDs in some Chinese supermarkets. I say this because I have been to China.
Yeah. People these days don't really know what racism is, why it's awful or that bootlegging is a lot easier than actually getting the official thing from Hollyolliwood in some places.
But you do also forget, though I'm not sure about Murrica, just about every country will have a market where you can buy bootlegged DVDs and bagels. It's Brick Lane over here, though most of the people selling the DVDs are Vietnamese not Chinese. It's quite ingenious really, the speed at which they can pack up and leg it when they hear the police are coming is stunning.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: June 18, 2013, 07:23:36 am »

On the graphics aspect, that's actually not true. Graphics run on their own separate thread, and well, use the GPU rather than the CPU. Plenty of room for improvement.
The reason for ASCII graphics is just that Toady doesn't want to bother spending time that could've been used on more features on graphics.

E:
(Also please don't get the lazy newb pack because the creators of the game wouldn't like it if you did. Really).

All my wat?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:26:51 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: June 18, 2013, 07:37:19 am »

Yeah. People these days don't really know what racism is, why it's awful or that bootlegging is a lot easier than actually getting the official thing from Hollyolliwood in some places.
But you do also forget, though I'm not sure about Murrica, just about every country will have a market where you can buy bootlegged DVDs and bagels. It's Brick Lane over here, though most of the people selling the DVDs are Vietnamese not Chinese. It's quite ingenious really, the speed at which they can pack up and leg it when they hear the police are coming is stunning.

I actually have some bootleg DVDs from my grandmother, no idea how she got them but oh well. The Engrish in the subtitles and sometimes on the menus is amazing. In some war movie (Jarhead? I don't know) one of the characters is asked something about their father's death, which in the subtitles reads as "How long did your old bean man die?"

Also, somebody tried to argue with me that Citizen Kane was a boring movie because it was silent.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: June 18, 2013, 08:01:01 am »

I have an email from toady saying he's slightly worried about eventually decompiling the whole game, but he seemed positive about it later on in an interview, and he's mentioned that he keeps a folder full of isoworld screenshots, so... I think he's cool with it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »

Urine is mostly ammonia
I'm sorry my brain just packed its bags and left for greener pastures. Where people aren't idiots. Unfortunately, it can't find anywhere.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: June 18, 2013, 07:26:39 pm »

Urine is mostly ammonia
I'm sorry my brain just packed its bags and left for greener pastures. Where people aren't idiots. Unfortunately, it can't find anywhere.
I wouldn't say that was amazingly stupid. While urine is 95% water the second largest component is urea. Urea and water(in the presence of urease) react to produce ammonia and carbon dioxide. So if you leave a bucket of urine out for say, a week, you'll have a bucket of water and ammonia.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: June 18, 2013, 10:26:25 pm »

Yeah, while he wasn't correct, he's not too far off.

Interesting side note, urea + water is extremely endothermic. It's what's in the instant ice pack things.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: June 19, 2013, 12:05:44 am »

What I hate is when people pluralize words when that should be singular.
Moose/meese
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: June 19, 2013, 03:01:47 am »

Interesting side note, urea + water is extremely endothermic. It's what's in the instant ice pack things.
O_o

Now I will never use them again.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:43 am »

O_o

Now I will never use them again.
They use synthetic urea obviously, just like they don't make soap from water, ash, and animal fat anymore.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: June 19, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

Moose/meese
The plural of moose is moose.

(I might be missing something here though)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: June 19, 2013, 12:57:22 pm »

Moose/meese
The plural of moose is moose.

(I might be missing something here though)
Fun with goose/geese, presumably.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 510