Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002185 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5745 on: July 22, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

Well, I don't think it's at all reasonable to be afraid of North Korea nuking the United States, considering that they're far more likely to nuke south korea because the success rate of nuking the US would be much lower compared to nuking a nearby target.. And China would never, ever side with North Korea in a nuclear war they started.
The other day I was looking up how fossil fuels were formed and on the first page of google there was this fundamentalist christian page. Their argument was essentially
In order for fossil fuels to form, they must not oxidize due to exposure to air. It is so unlikely for fossil fuels to form naturally that the only explanation is the Great Flood.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: July 22, 2013, 03:09:44 pm »

North Korea isn't likely to nuke anywhere.

Even if they could hypothetically not suffer repercussions from nuking South Korea, the fallout from the detonation would end up back in North Korea due to northerly winds.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:55 pm »

North Korea isn't likely to nuke anywhere.

Even if they could hypothetically not suffer repercussions from nuking South Korea, the fallout from the detonation would end up back in North Korea due to northerly winds.

^this^

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: July 22, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

I thought North Korea wants to reunite with the South Korea.

They wouldn't nuke their own lands , they would invade them and eventually starve everyone on that peninsula with their exceptional leaders.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: July 22, 2013, 04:27:58 pm »

They wouldn't nuke their own lands , they would invade them and eventually starve everyone on that peninsula with their exceptional leaders.

I doubt that SK would fall as easily as it would have in the past, though their military is severely under-budgeted

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: July 22, 2013, 04:34:11 pm »

I doubt that SK would fall as easily as it would have in the past, though their military is severely under-budgeted
IIRC, SK spends more on their military than NKs GDP.

Is that saying much?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: July 22, 2013, 04:37:06 pm »

Well, yes. The entire economic activity of a nation of comparable size and population to South Korea wouldn't even pay their military budget. That's a pretty significant indicator of extreme economic failure.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: July 22, 2013, 04:44:46 pm »

But we're talking about NK here.

I doubt it's hard to spend more than NK on anything. (other than government buildings and impressive ghost towns)

Isn't WW2-era equipment still standard issue for NK troops? 

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: July 22, 2013, 04:45:31 pm »

Well, yes. The entire economic activity of a nation of comparable size and population to South Korea wouldn't even pay their military budget. That's a pretty significant indicator of extreme economic failure.
It also shows that any non-nuclear invasion attempt by NK would end about as badly as a four year old child invading the top shelf: the only thing that will be accomplished is that they'll get themselves hurt.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: July 22, 2013, 05:10:23 pm »

No.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: July 22, 2013, 05:13:48 pm »

No.
Yeah, it's not WWII-era any more but it's certainly rather antiquated compared with more advanced countries. 50s is an accurate decade.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: July 22, 2013, 05:17:23 pm »

Pfft, please, I've played DEFCON, you don't have to tell me about nuclear war.
Did you know the US is the only country with a significant ABM defense system in the world (Russia has one based around Moscow). A better way of picturing Nuclear war is DEFCON, Diplomacy, without any ABMs. All missile Silos, All the time. And of course, many more nukes then they show.

Anyway, North Korea attacking anyone with nukes reminds me of that phrase, "If you strike at a king you must kill him".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: July 22, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »

Anyway, North Korea attacking anyone with nukes reminds me of that phrase, "If you strike at a king you must kill him".
Alternatively... When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: July 23, 2013, 02:56:11 am »

The other day I was looking up how fossil fuels were formed and on the first page of google there was this fundamentalist christian page. Their argument was essentially
In order for fossil fuels to form, they must not oxidize due to exposure to air. It is so unlikely for fossil fuels to form naturally that the only explanation is the Great Flood.

So my car is powered by the divine punishment of heathens?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:17 am »

So my car is powered by the divine punishment of heathens?
Actually no. Yaweh killed everyone on the planet for some other reason. I forget why.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 510