Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004282 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6885 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45:22 pm »

Do you remember being 16 years old and being confident that you understood the world better than the people in charge? Maybe understanding that you didn't know everything, sure, but you had a pretty good idea about how a lot of stuff worked. Everything else would just be elaboration upon the basic truths you already understand, and there was basically nothing new you needed to learn. Just more details.

Most people never stop doing that. Probably, myself included.

EDIT: Point being, people are terrible at absorbing knowledge that conflicts with their existing assumptions, and not only does it not occur to them to search for such ideas, they'll actively reject them if they're presented with them. Your only hope is to try and present everything in a way that builds on existing assumptions and leads up to the desired conflicting conclusion, because people do love knowledge that builds on what they already know or that expands into areas they had no ideas about before.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:48:51 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: October 17, 2013, 11:48:27 pm »

Maybe? But I grew up, damnit. Why can't these people? :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: October 17, 2013, 11:50:19 pm »

Because they don't actually want fewer abortions.  They want no abortions and no birth control.  That's the entire point.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: October 17, 2013, 11:57:38 pm »

They want a clean and chaste little world because they HATE thinking that people around them, everyone HAS SEX and that's GROSS AND DIRTY AND MORALLY WRONG

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: October 18, 2013, 12:01:21 am »

This thread is about 3 posts away from pointless religion bashing. Don't go there. Let the thread die until someone else finds some stupid shit on tumblr again or something.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: October 18, 2013, 12:02:00 am »

Of course, you have the rather serious issue of many of these people seeing all birth control as a form of abortion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: October 18, 2013, 12:53:47 am »

Of course, you have the rather serious issue of many of these people seeing all birth control as a form of abortion.
wat

Now that's just stupid.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: October 18, 2013, 12:59:00 am »

*vague shrug* It follows through the reasoning being used. Denial of potentiality est, regardless of its form. From that line of reasoning, there's no difference between abortion and birth control. There's also no difference between abortion and a period, or between abortion and the natural death of sperm. It can be consistent reasoning, the consequences of it are just kinda' insane by most measures. Most folks I've seen advocating it also don't seem to realize exactly what their justification, well. Justifies.

Though there's some that do, and that's kinda'... horrifying? Disgusting? Disdainful. Need-to-be-locked-up. Etc., so forth, so on.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:00:45 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: October 18, 2013, 01:13:24 am »

Quote from: Jason Bulmahn, Game Designer
Spent a part of my morning tying my mouse to my hand by the cord and figuring out how tricky it was to get the thing back in my hand. Its not impossible... but its not a swift action.

Downgrading a professional adventurer's equipment on the grounds of implausibility, based on the evidence of a professional writer's manual dexterity. I'm just... wow.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: October 18, 2013, 01:16:29 am »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:44 am »

Healthy food is racist.
Read about a third of the article.  He has what could be a few good points,  but  he still seems to be saying that fast food is racist because historically cheap food has been grown on stolen land worked by slave labour. 
Oh wait, finished reading the rest of the article. 
The slogan strikes at the heart of the mistaken assumption that weight and health are intrinsically linked
While I agree we shouldn't shame people who are overweight, as it isn't something that a person can just change instantly, it isn't something that should be ignored.  There is VERY MUCH a link between weight and health.   I will say more in the morning.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: October 18, 2013, 01:50:33 am »

Healthy food is racist.
They actually make some good points about American health culture. But that third point about Americans eating the same amount of bad food is patently ridiculous. Someone's been payed off by McDonalds.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: October 18, 2013, 02:09:06 am »

There's a difference between overeating and actually having a problem. I overeat and it's starting to show :(
and also they linked wheat to obese kids in the recession when they were also starving. I'll have to hunt that one down.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: October 18, 2013, 08:00:33 am »

Warning: really disturbing. If you can't tell what's disturbing about it, look at the tags at the bottom of the picture.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't get the connection.
Fucking animals isn't a great leap in learning. It's just... what it is.
The stupid part is that they are twisting the words of real civil rights leaders to suit their questionable cause.

You know like how Macklemore says "Human rights for everybody/There is no difference" about comparing gay rights to 60s movements for various races? Well, this is the same idea, except this time, it's wrong.

Yes, I'm sure not being discriminated against and forced to work for two cents an hour is the same as fucking animals.
Sorry for bringing back this topic, but it popped up in another thread as well - why not legalize zoophilia? If it isn't a mental illness (and we should think thrice about the implications of calling it that), I basically see no difference to the legalization of homosexuality, BDSM, transgenderism (do you call it that?), only that it affects a much smaller segment of the population (you see the progression in the examples).
(And again for the record: I ain't no dirty sheephumpin' commie liberal. I be a dirty commie liberal though ;) )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: October 18, 2013, 08:06:19 am »

Sorry for bringing back this topic, but it popped up in another thread as well - why not legalize zoophilia? If it isn't a mental illness (and we should think thrice about the implications of calling it that), I basically see no difference to the legalization of homosexuality, BDSM, transgenderism (do you call it that?), only that it affects a much smaller segment of the population (you see the progression in the examples).
(And again for the record: I ain't no dirty sheephumpin' commie liberal. I be a dirty commie liberal though ;) )
I've lurked /tg/ enough to know this debate. A large part is that an animal cannot give consent (body language is open to interpretation).
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 510