Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002126 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7170 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:14 am »

Forget impossible, be possible?

Catchy, vapid, doesn't really mean anything, and actually gets rather horrifying when you think about it? (Don't try and aim for what is impossible! Settle for less!)

Sounds like a school motto. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: October 30, 2013, 01:22:18 pm »

Me: Don't put your bank password into a demo computer, please. Windows 8 likes to store data without telling you.

Customer: It won't save if I don't tell it to! >:(

It's too bad that I have a modicum of ethics. This guy's obviously not worried about me having his banking information.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:04 pm »

But stealing his money could get you enough to quit your job and you would never have to interact with the fools again!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: October 30, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

Catchy, vapid, doesn't really mean anything, and actually gets rather horrifying when you think about it? (Don't try and aim for what is impossible! Settle for less!)

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: October 30, 2013, 02:05:24 pm »

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

If I worried about perfection, I'd never get anything done at work.

NEVER!

Then again... I'm posting on B12 while at work. I suppose I'm not getting much done anyway.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: October 30, 2013, 02:41:15 pm »

I mean like, aim to do things that others tell you is impossible. Not aim to be perfect.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: October 30, 2013, 02:42:06 pm »

If I worried about perfection, I'd do nothing and just be my perfect self 8)

edit: wait, I'm already doing that >.>

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:34 pm »

If I worried about perfection, I would not be perfect.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: October 30, 2013, 07:11:58 pm »

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing adequately.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: October 30, 2013, 08:54:23 pm »

If it's worth the the seconds/minutes/hours/days/months/years/decades out of your rapidly diminishing time in your skin, it's worth well enough to benefit you the most. The laws of Dollar Auction dictate you must run a cost-benefit analysis of amount of effort between passable and best, the benefits of accomplishing adequate vs. best, determine rate of change to see if there is a point in between acceptable of 100% that would work, and then choose the best option.

That said, I subscribe to the 20-80 principle, 20 percent of the effort can be 80% of the result. No point being another mediocre everyone will ignore just as much as if you had done nothing, or even the "fine" most will get, but that last barrier, the little extras, are what can make you stand out.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: October 30, 2013, 08:56:57 pm »

If it's worth the the seconds/minutes/hours/days/months/years/decades out of your rapidly diminishing time in your skin, it's worth well enough to benefit you the most. The laws of Dollar Auction dictate you must run a cost-benefit analysis of amount of effort between passable and best, the benefits of accomplishing adequate vs. best, determine rate of change to see if there is a point in between acceptable of 100% that would work, and then choose the best option.

That said, I subscribe to the 20-80 principle, 20 percent of the effort can be 80% of the result. No point being another mediocre everyone will ignore just as much as if you had done nothing, or even the "fine" most will get, but that last barrier, the little extras, are what can make you stand out.
But you cannot stand out at everything, and if you try to do everything to a fantabulous degree you'll end up with everything else that you've been neglecting turning out shitty.
Also I don't really care about standing out since there is no way anything I do will be above "good enough". So the best way to go about it is to not try better than that, and instead just make sure I can do it consistently.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: October 30, 2013, 10:49:14 pm »

The key is to maintain a consistent level of mediocrity so that when it really matters you can pull out all the stops for a brief time. Then go back to being mediocre; it wouldn't do to have people expect peak performance from you at all times, unless you're looking to die of stress.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: October 31, 2013, 12:22:31 am »

The key is to maintain a consistent level of mediocrity so that when it really matters you can pull out all the stops for a brief time. Then go back to being mediocre; it wouldn't do to have people expect peak performance from you at all times, unless you're looking to die of stress.
This speaks the truth. Otherwise tiptop becomes the new mediocre.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: October 31, 2013, 07:42:09 am »

Followers of ALI (as) NEVER. BOW DOWN. To SATAN or his CRONIES ! LIVE like ALI. Die LIKE husayn . BRAVO. IRAN. The. ONLY. Jewel in the ISLAMIC crown.
From this news article's comments. I can't even comprehend.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: October 31, 2013, 10:06:40 am »

Followers of ALI (as) NEVER. BOW DOWN. To SATAN or his CRONIES ! LIVE like ALI. Die LIKE husayn . BRAVO. IRAN. The. ONLY. Jewel in the ISLAMIC crown.
From this news article's comments. I can't even comprehend.

"Jihad! Jihad!"
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 510