Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451669 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2012, 05:00:27 am »

Well to be fair muskets were pretty damn easy to use compared to bows and other earlier ranged weapons. It was quite literally point and click. Reloading was the hardest part but it could still be easily learnt in a day or two. Getting a responsible reloading speed would be harder although the earlier use of muskets was a single volley or free shot followed by a charge.
It's one of the reasons why guns spread so quickly across Eastern Europe and the Steppes even though they were considered technologically backwards. The "Western arms trade" really made Russia a lot more open to innovation than it was before and helped it to expand rather rapidly.

I think if they really want to do modernising and technology regions a lot better they should look at this thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?626299-A-View-On-EUIV-Technology 
It's pretty much the closest and easiest way to simulate how the real world evolved technologically and it would add a whole lot of depth to the game instead of "move slider to the right". It would also allow native cultures to modernise rapidly if they're having a lot of contact with Europeans. Consider how quickly the Native American Indians adopted horses and firearms to the point where it became part of their culture.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:04:43 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2012, 05:02:51 am »

Yes, but muskets don't grow on trees, eh? At least make me pay money to upgrade them
Hello Hunam

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2012, 05:07:10 am »

I think the tech system needs some overhaul in general. Instead of a static percentage research speed, I'd advise a separate techrate for each technology category, allowing some more differentiation between countries, as well as allowing non-European states to ya know, be good at something before being able to westernise (oh god I hate that term).

Which reminds me. Ottomans are weak. Half the games I had when I played EU3, the Ottomans either get defeated by the Byzantines or they stop being a threat when their first/second sultan dies.

Also I want more Granada flavour and events to counterbalance the Byzantines  >:(.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2012, 05:14:41 am »

Yes, but muskets don't grow on trees, eh? At least make me pay money to upgrade them
I don't really know how you'd balance this though. What happens if you have a massive army and you want to upgrade your army so you can compete with Bohemia or something on a single front, however the game is going to charge you quite a lot to upgrade your whole army even those bumming around in India. You might also make it so you can upgrade only a select few squads but then you run into the "Civilization" problem of upgrading where there's a whole bunch of micromanagement of finding and then upgrading the units plus a rather hefty fee so that most players don't bother with it. 

Personally I think the best thing to do is to just have military maintenance costs more for a select period of time and have discipline lower temporally. That would reflect getting new arms to the troops and getting new officers/blood into the army. I don't think it's really that necessarily to charge a country to upgrade their units, soldiers generally had to buy their own equipment in standing armies back then. 

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2012, 06:35:44 am »

You already have a morale drop to the minimum after changing your troop types, but that goes away rather fast. Discipline malus might be a good idea.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2012, 08:01:32 am »

Yeah, I've never seen the Ottomans grow in DW. Early-game it just sat there fighting Timmies, late-game everyone and their mother crusaded it to death. Sad.

I've never seen them fall to AI Byzzies, though. Impressive.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2012, 08:05:09 am »

Also I want more Granada flavour and events to counterbalance the Byzantines  >:(.

What. The Byzantines only had, like, one Flavor Decision and three missions to take back cores.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2012, 09:40:50 am »

The problem is that the ottoman AI is stupid. It should dec on the turkish minors that it has cores on immediately, and expand in the balkans until it almost reaches its infamy limit. Instead it allies the turkish minors and attempts to war with the timurids.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2012, 09:52:15 am »

Also I want more Granada flavour and events to counterbalance the Byzantines  >:( .

What. The Byzantines only had, like, one Flavor Decision and three missions to take back cores.

Well, actually they had nine missions. See? Quite a bit for a...TPM? Can't remember if they had more.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:27 am »

The problem is that the ottoman AI is stupid. It should dec on the turkish minors that it has cores on immediately, and expand in the balkans until it almost reaches its infamy limit. Instead it allies the turkish minors and attempts to war with the timurids.

It doesn't have a choice when it comes to war with the Timies.  Steppe hordes are always at war with anyone they don't have a 5 year truce or a tribute relationship with.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:35 am »

Honestly, that horde mechanic is...stupid. Oh I like how steppe civs can be colonised and can occupy, but constant war is not very conductive. At least allow the losing side to become vassalised, that would solve some problems.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:00:12 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:11 am »

My bigger qualm is that cbs do not work on hordes, meaning that if you're paying tribute to a horde you have to take a stab hit to end that if the horde won't, and if you're a horde you have the same problem with countries paying tribute to you. The whole thing seems more geared towards being AI controlled.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2012, 10:04:27 am »

Just a quick reminder: can vassals declare their own wars?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:44 am »

Well, actually they had nine missions. See? Quite a bit for a...TPM? Can't remember if they had more.

Byzantium is a TPM in 1399 but they had just won a war against the Ottomans five years before and would actually go on a successful counter offensive in the following decade with Western help.  Their enemies the Ottomans were also engaged in repeated civil wars in the first half of the 15th century and didn't stop the horde invasions until just three years before they took constantinople (a big part of why they took so long to take the city).  So in 1399 Byzantium's had a chance of recovering greece and bulgaria.  By 1407 they are definitely back to secondary power status.  That's not even getting into the huge cultural significance of the Roman Empire which had the west launching crusades to help them as late as 1448.  So they are definitely not just another TPM.

But honestly the real reason they get the missions is because Byzantium is cool.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2012, 10:33:03 am »

Exactly my point. They're being lavished upon because they happen to be the last legacy of Rome. While Granada, the last legacy of Al-Andalus (not a country, I know) has zero unique events, even though they are in similar circumstances, minus the division between their enemies. Course, I still see real reason why they can't have their own unique missions. Worse comes to worse, I'll mod in events and missions.

I'll agree with you there being a chance for Byzantium reclaiming 'parts' of their empire, but I really doubt that the West could aid them much during that century...Ottoman victories over 'crusading forces' as well as the lack of support from Genoa and Venice didn't really help much. If I remember correctly, the republics had more to gain from Byzantium's fall than its renewal and the general public weren't very willing to accept aid from the Pope at his price of unification with the Catholic Church. Keep in mind that this is only a half-remembered recollection of what I read in the book 1453 and several Greek-Turkish debates (headaches all around!).
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 216