Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451480 times)

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2013, 02:06:47 pm »

Release is tomorrow.

I still have a gripe with some of the new mechanism, but there's hardly enough to not consider EU4 as a succesful heir and improvement of it's predecessor.

Considering the amount of hours I've dropped on EU3 I certainly fear for my social life and job during the next weeks.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »

Considering the amount of hours I've dropped on EU3 I certainly fear for my social life and job during the next weeks.
Play MP and there goes one of those fears.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »

Play MP and there goes one of those fears.
Play MP for long enough and you won't have to worry about the other fear anymore, either.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »

Release is in a few hours. Anyone want to bet how bug infested the release version of the game will be? :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2013, 05:20:50 pm »

Release is in a few hours. Anyone want to bet how bug infested the release version of the game will be? :P
I'll go with 'very' for $500 Alex.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:35 pm »

Ckii wasn't and EUiv won't be either.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2013, 07:02:44 pm »

Yes Paradox has really upped their game with releases. They also seem to be doing a much better job as a publisher which I can only assume was due to the failures of Sword of the Stars II and Gettysburg. Add to this the rather unique system of expansions and it seems like they're really trying to turn over a new leaf and create a new image for themselves.

My only concern is that release prices as too steep if you're going to have that system of continually DLC expansions. The system does have some obvious parallels with "free2play" games and I think cheap releases would only get more people invested in the series. Combine this with the fact that because Paradox games are so niche if you wait a month or so they'll have a massive discount on amazon or steam.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2013, 07:14:03 pm »

Yeah the release price is a little steep but we don't know how well coded the release version will be or what DLC they add.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:01 pm »

For the amount of hours I'm planning on playing I think it's fairly cheap.

$50 is around what i'd spend on a new game, so $40 on a game I really like sounds pretty darn fine to me.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2013, 08:05:18 pm »

My only concern is that release prices as too steep if you're going to have that system of continually DLC expansions. The system does have some obvious parallels with "free2play" games and I think cheap releases would only get more people invested in the series. Combine this with the fact that because Paradox games are so niche if you wait a month or so they'll have a massive discount on amazon or steam.

As much as I dislike Paradox's pricing/dlc strategy I find I can't complain about it too much because of how cheap you can buy the games/dlc a while after it has been released. It's not like the days of PC gaming yore when the only place you could buy games was in a brick and mortar store and often games would still be full priced years after release. I purchased CKII and all of its dlc (pre-ToG) for 9.99. I felt like a bandit. You pay a premium if you want it right away, but you can pick it up later for great a price if you're on a tight budget.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2013, 08:09:34 pm »

It's not like the days of PC gaming yore when the only place you could buy games was in a brick and mortar store and often games would still be full priced years after release.

Those days still exist. Look at the battlechests for Blizzard's games. The original StarCraft and Diablo 2 battlechests haven't dropped in price for more than a decade.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2013, 08:11:38 pm »

It's not like the days of PC gaming yore when the only place you could buy games was in a brick and mortar store and often games would still be full priced years after release.

Those days still exist. Look at the battlechests for Blizzard's games. The original StarCraft and Diablo 2 battlechests haven't dropped in price for more than a decade.
You cant really point to the odd exception and then say that its the common law of the land.

Blizzard games are price controlled like that, because Blizzard as a brand is strong enough to do it, and they dont release enough games to where they thin out their own brand.

There was only one D2 for a very long time. As there was only One SC for a very long time.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:54 pm »

I know, I'm not fully arguing against it, I'm just saying there are still those games out there that won't drop in price. Dominions 3 was still something like $40-$60 until Dom4 was announced recently. Still, similar case to Blizzard.

A few hours? The Steam page says approx. 12...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:14 pm »

I know, I'm not fully arguing against it, I'm just saying there are still those games out there that won't drop in price. Dominions 3 was still something like $40-$60 until Dom4 was announced recently. Still, similar case to Blizzard.

That was due to a deal they signed, far as I remember.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:30 pm »

Yeah, Illwinter (developers of Dominions) dropped their publisher a few months back, which is why the price went down.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 216