Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451533 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1335 on: June 19, 2014, 12:43:43 pm »

Who cares? Achievements don't give you anything except a sense of accomplishment, if you cheat to get one it's not like it'll mean anything to anyone else besides an "Oh, that's cool" (if they don't know you cheated)

If something isn't detrimental to others' experience, I don't see how it's "abuseable."

I agree, cheevos are largely pointless, which is why I joked about thinking of ways to abuse it when I already think it's pointless.

*cough*

That said...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 19, 2014, 02:26:01 pm »

GLADoS says you are a horrible person. They weren't even testing for that.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 19, 2014, 02:30:31 pm »

This actually makes me want to do the same thing, just so I can have precisely one achievement unlocked.  And so random Steam users can wonder how on earth someone managed a world conquest without ever winning a war or making a royal marriage.  Sadly, I don't think that would be possible; certain other achievements will likely activate at the same time as it no matter what you do, glancing over the list. 

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 19, 2014, 03:35:57 pm »

The achievements are actually defined in a text file, not sure if user editing of them does anything though. Worth noting that when I added the decision to inherit the world as Ryukyu, I didn't even have to dupe the game with checksum tricks... it just still worked in ironman.

There are also third party editors (and the good old manual way) that you can use to unlock steam achievements for any game, though I guess you could get your account banned over it. I remember using one to avoid having to grind out the Poker Night at the Inventory nonsense for a pair of glasses I wanted in TF2. Please no tell gaben

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 23, 2014, 02:58:33 am »

Spoiler: "Image" (click to show/hide)

I'm playing as Prussia and want to form the German Nation. All I need to do so is to get Nürnberg. Austria hates me with -200 and won't give me military access. That means there's no way to get to Nürnberg without messing with Austria. I have a few allies who would join the war against Austria, but they aren't helpful and the odds I would loose are rather high (they have Spain and bigger army).
My thought now is that I wait until Austria is at war with The Ottomans or another Arabic country that's better than Austria and attack Austria when they're almost crushed, take over Bamberg and make peace. Then it's just a matter of time until I have a core on Nürnberg and be able to form the German Nation. :|

Any suggestions?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 23, 2014, 04:36:32 am »

You might be able to get on the same side as Austria in a war using clever diplomacy and enforce peace. Look for potential targets of Austria/Castile's enemies and get those relations up to +100.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 23, 2014, 09:46:06 am »

Can't you walk through HRE nations during war if you're a member yourself? Or is that something only the emperor gets?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 23, 2014, 09:48:58 am »

I believe it works as a member if it's a outside war.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 23, 2014, 10:34:48 am »

Can't you walk through HRE nations during war if you're a member yourself? Or is that something only the emperor gets?

Whenever the emperor is in a war all participants can cross HRE territory.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 23, 2014, 12:11:03 pm »

You might be able to get on the same side as Austria in a war using clever diplomacy and enforce peace. Look for potential targets of Austria/Castile's enemies and get those relations up to +100.

Sounds like an idea. I'm going to try it. Either this or my thought should hopefully work out.

Whenever the emperor is in a war all participants can cross HRE territory.

Too bad the emperor is that stupid 1 province country Württemberg. I'm sure the electors just wanted to troll Austria.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 23, 2014, 04:17:04 pm »

I've been playing Teutonic Order -> Prussia -> Germany games lately, and I always get so sad when I have to abandon Austria. If they're not emperor, beating them should be easy though... how much lebensraum have you gotten?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 27, 2014, 11:51:54 pm »

The first dev diary for Res Publica is out. I'm surprised it hasn't sparked any conversation here because it looks fantastic.
Spoiler: from the PDI forums (click to show/hide)
Everything about this seems great to me.
The removal of the monarch point penalty and the behind of tech bonus greatly increased will allow for much stronger nations outside of Europe. It does seem like it will almost completely remove the need for westernisation (except for hordes and Ming/Qing) and I personally prefer that.

The only negative things I can say are niggling, such as the worries that trade republics are getting too powerful (my Ragusa campaign in WoN alone was on the easy side). It's also a bit of a shame to see factions being ripped straight from Ming as it will make them a lot less unique to play. Finally I'm a little disappointed we haven't gotten some kind of unique "Thalassocracic Kingdom" government types for nations outside of Europe that were kingdoms that still relieved heavily on trade and maritime (Indian Ocean Sultanates, Ryukyu, Majapahit etc).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 28, 2014, 04:03:57 am »

"nations that are ahead of time in Administrative tech gaining +20% production efficiency and nations that are ahead of time in Diplomatic tech gaining +20% trade efficiency. "

This can't possibly backfire in any shape, way, or form.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 28, 2014, 11:32:06 am »

AKA having the highest ADM/DIP techs will lead to you being even stronger than before. It's almost like being higher in tech itself is a big enough bonus.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 28, 2014, 07:29:40 pm »

Playing a game as Tibet, and I'm curbstomping Bengal at the moment. Should I just take the one province (Dacca) that I claimed or should I vassalize them? I'm not sure if I could convert it in any convenient amount of time, but from what I hear, vassal mechanics (integration, etc.) have changed a bit recently. Also, that would land me a huge amount of AE.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 216