Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451546 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1470 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:55 pm »

How did you install it? Is the .mod file in the right directory (exactly in the "mod" directory, no lower)?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 19, 2014, 12:54:05 am »

Hooray! Veritas et fortitudo hates me, too!

No matter what I do, I can't get it to come up in the mods tab.
If you downloaded it through steam workshop you need to start up EU4 before it will show up in the directory. It's weird I know.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 19, 2014, 09:51:43 am »

So, is EU4 a total failure?

I think some people on this thread are exaggerating a smidge.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 19, 2014, 11:14:07 am »

The Paradox forums do require game registration for certain areas, as a measure to combat piracy, but it's the easiest place to get mods from.

I never much liked the Steam Workshop.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: July 19, 2014, 03:40:25 pm »

So, is EU4 a total failure?

I think some people on this thread are exaggerating a smidge.
I've read a lot (a lot) of complaints about the cheating AI, and I don't like cheating AI in games like that.

There is enough evidence to say that the AI gets undeclared and quite possible hard-coded bonuses in combat with player armies, and that's not only unfair, but also insulting. If it cheats, at least show me that!
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: July 19, 2014, 03:42:06 pm »

wow, it's hardcoded to cheat?

eu4 confirmed for needing evw-level patches

gg paradox

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: July 19, 2014, 04:37:07 pm »

There's certain minor allowances for the AI, but this is the first time I hear about "undeclared bonuses" in combat.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 19, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »

I think it might be the incomprehensible nature of EU IV combat + confirmation bias + the fact that the player's biggest opponents will often be lucky nations that is causing people to believe the AI gets undeclared bonuses.

Specifically, a terrible dice roll or two at the start of combat can ruin you even if you set up a favorable combat.  There is also a lot of under the surface stuff like unit pips and ideas that aren't always immediately apparent, and can have a pretty massive impact on combat.  Paradox typically only has their AIs cheat on weird secondary mechanics they flat out can't deal with, like naval attrition in EU 3.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 19, 2014, 05:27:40 pm »

I think it might be the incomprehensible nature of EU IV combat + confirmation bias + the fact that the player's biggest opponents will often be lucky nations that is causing people to believe the AI gets undeclared bonuses.

Specifically, a terrible dice roll or two at the start of combat can ruin you even if you set up a favorable combat.  There is also a lot of under the surface stuff like unit pips and ideas that aren't always immediately apparent, and can have a pretty massive impact on combat.  Paradox typically only has their AIs cheat on weird secondary mechanics they flat out can't deal with, like naval attrition in EU 3.

Or naval attrition in EU 4  :P
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 19, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the AI doesn't get any more combat bonii than the player on Medium difficulty (unless you're fighting a lucky nation, of course.)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: July 19, 2014, 06:24:31 pm »

I thought reading the wiki was standard procedure for playing Paradox games. Combat factors might not be 100% transparent, but it's nothing a trip to the wiki doesn't solve.

I'm assuming a good portion of the complaints about EU4 are rooted in simply not knowing how the game works. Also third or fourth-hand information/rumours.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: July 19, 2014, 06:33:42 pm »

Nah, a lot of complaints about EU IV are rooted in knowing how the game works.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: July 19, 2014, 06:39:28 pm »

Nah, a lot of complaints about EU IV are rooted in knowing how the game works.

Another large portion, sure.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 19, 2014, 11:40:18 pm »

I thought reading the wiki was standard procedure for playing Paradox games. Combat factors might not be 100% transparent, but it's nothing a trip to the wiki doesn't solve.

I'm assuming a good portion of the complaints about EU4 are rooted in simply not knowing how the game works. Also third or fourth-hand information/rumours.

Of course. Lol.

A good portion of the kneejerk defenses of EU4 are rooted in simply not knowing how the game works.

See how that works?

Also EU4 combat is anything but deep.. CK2 combat is deep. EU combat consists of getting 25k+ doomstacks and smashing them into smaller parties until you get an insta-wipe battle.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:46:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: July 20, 2014, 12:09:45 am »

Also EU4 combat is anything but deep.. CK2 combat is deep. EU combat consists of getting 25k+ doomstacks and smashing them into smaller parties until you get an insta-wipe battle.

Isn't that basically how combat works in CK2 as well? Except in CK2 one battle usually means a won war, you don't hafta manage your doomstacks at all, and smart sieging pretty much amounts to moving your doomstack onto enemy territory.  There is a lot of things I like more about CK2 than EU4, combat isn't one of them.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 216