Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449734 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1890 on: February 08, 2015, 07:01:46 pm »

Is there an official way of porting games over to Vicky 2?
Nope. All you can do is use the fan made utility. It's highly flawed as you can expect but converting through Paradox titles has never yielded any good results.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 09, 2015, 09:28:09 am »

Speaking of converting, I just had a hilarious thought.

Play CK2 with Sunset Invasion and when the Aztecs come, join up with them, conquering as much as possible. Then port this to EU and have "Reverse USA" where the nation the Aztecs colonized in Europe rebels against their rulers in America...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 09, 2015, 05:44:58 pm »

Entirely possible!
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 09, 2015, 06:27:05 pm »

If you don't have CKII, I suppose it'd be possible to do that with the new nation creator.
I'm guessing Vinland is going to be a pretty common creation when the dlc is out. At least we'll be able to have multiple created nations.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:35 am »

For England, I'm trying to decide if it's better to avoid taking land and rushing tech for QftNW, or take lands from Scotland and get the idea later. And suggestions?

EDIT: Welp! Seems paradox decided to make it a pain in the ass to colonize the new world as England and England is closer to the New world than Greenland. Almost prepared to go back to EU3 with how much they are messing with the AI and historical accuracy for the sake of multiplayer balance that will never be achieved.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:26:37 am by Micro102 »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 19, 2015, 02:38:30 am »

For England, I'm trying to decide if it's better to avoid taking land and rushing tech for QftNW, or take lands from Scotland and get the idea later. And suggestions?

EDIT: Welp! Seems paradox decided to make it a pain in the ass to colonize the new world as England and England is closer to the New world than Greenland. Almost prepared to go back to EU3 with how much they are messing with the AI and historical accuracy for the sake of multiplayer balance that will never be achieved.

England (that owns Ireland) needs dip tech 8 plus exploration ideas to start colonising the new world. You can also steal colonises from the Iberian scum if you want to slingshot into colonisation earlier. This is due to a concept called "trade winds" which lower the distance and travel speeds in a single direction of certain ocean provinces (use your trade map to see them).

While I don't think I've ever played England I have played a couple of Irish games and I find if you want to play the colony game from the British Isles it's best to just skip Exploration as a first idea unless you want to cheese it by stealing colonies or declaring on weak minors in Iberia/NA.
Personally I would likely pick up something like diplomatic first so you can play the majors in Europe against each other and to potentially help diplo-vassalise small revolter states. Humanism or military are another possibility if you fear the bad revolts.

You can leave the Scots and Celts to annex later or aggressively assualt them early, either way they're never going to be a major threat outside of the lollard revolt/war of the roses. I would mainly keep an eye on the lowlands and try to steal some provinces from Burgundy before the succession crisis happens.
I would ideally aim for a non-dutch tag and release it as a march and try to feed it as much as possible. This will allow you to have a presence in Europe (without losing your island advantage), have  a target to both distract/attack France from and finally you can integrate it later in the game when you want to get the complete share of the English Channel trade node.

Colonisation should be a side-game in EU4 for most Europeans until you start scrambling for Asia later. Even then consider most colonising will be done by the Iberians and will be trivial to take later in the game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 24, 2015, 06:03:26 pm »

Expansion coming in two days. Paradox made a video summing up the features.

I like the nation designer, but I'm not so sure on the rest of the features... or that it'll be worth buying outside a sale.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1897 on: February 26, 2015, 05:58:23 pm »

I dunno, I quite like playing in a post-apocalyptic scenario where most of the world is uninhabited.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 26, 2015, 06:44:06 pm »

The nation designer looks pretty neat. I think it is enough to get me playing again.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1899 on: February 26, 2015, 08:05:00 pm »

The new attention to the native americans is interesting too. The religions really change the way you play

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:16 pm »

The new religions and exploration options seem to be the most interesting to me.

Honestly, i'd like to fast forward twenty years, when Paradox Games basically makes Dwarf Fortress. Have random starting points in the map, then have the cultures randomly play out for thousands of years.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:50 pm »

There appears to be a promotion where you can play EU4 on Steam for free this weekend.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: February 27, 2015, 07:49:09 am »

Goddamn, I've fallen behind on expansions. The current sale has allowed me to get Res Publica and Wealth of Nations, but Art of War is only 25% off, 15 dollars, and well, obviously El Dorado is at full price. $30 for those two combined seems quite steep.

Can't say I like the multitude of micro-DLC, a tactic Paradox has really gone overboard with in EU4 and CK2, but it triggers a sort of "gotta catch 'em all" feeling in me. Which is obviously their intent. I got some of the ampler non-expansion DLC, like the ship ones and the greater unit packs (only remotely acceptable at 50 cents a piece). However, I find the concept of paying for a handful of models for a whole two nations disgusting.

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: February 27, 2015, 09:46:47 am »

So how accurately does El Dorado let you recreate the EU2 Fantasia scenario?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1904 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:50 am »

So how accurately does El Dorado let you recreate the EU2 Fantasia scenario?
Well you can only make up to 32 custom countries. Beyond that you can allow the system to fill in the rest of the world either historically or randomly.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 216