Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451668 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2070 on: September 09, 2015, 12:12:28 pm »

I CAN agree with that. Some of the stuff the AI gets away with is utter horseshit.

Like what? Here's a complete list of AI bonuses, still valid for this version.
I have yet to see a nation receive the same amount of AE as I would for doing the same thing. Seriously, I've seen France swallow shitloads of OPMs and barely have a dent in relations. I play as them and swallow ONE and everyone is forming fucking coalitions against me because I'm the most horrible warmonger to have existed on this earth.

Lucky nations do receive reduced AE.

Also there's a shit tone of modifiers on AE. In particular France gets a bunch reduced since they have cores/claims on like, everywhere around them when they start. (at least when I last played, haven't done so for about half a year).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:16:30 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:09 pm »

This is starting to sound more like 'We need to point at more than the AI bonuses to see whats up here'. Or turning off lucky nations, I guess.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 09, 2015, 01:12:00 pm »

I CAN agree with that. Some of the stuff the AI gets away with is utter horseshit.

Like what? Here's a complete list of AI bonuses, still valid for this version.
I have yet to see a nation receive the same amount of AE as I would for doing the same thing. Seriously, I've seen France swallow shitloads of OPMs and barely have a dent in relations. I play as them and swallow ONE and everyone is forming fucking coalitions against me because I'm the most horrible warmonger to have existed on this earth.

Also there's a shit tone of modifiers on AE. In particular France gets a bunch reduced since they have cores/claims on like, everywhere around them when they start. (at least when I last played, haven't done so for about half a year).
You didn't actually read his post, it seems. He said that when he played as France, the results were cardinally different compared to when AI played as France.

The only difference here is France being controlled by the player vs France being controlled by AI. And this means that AI is treated differently by the game than the player.
._.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: September 09, 2015, 01:15:55 pm »

Is there a way to set up a mock battle? I want to pit 2 armies of exactly the same units against each other, right down to the same prestige, legitimacy, and power projection.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: September 09, 2015, 01:28:43 pm »

Is there a way to set up a mock battle? I want to pit 2 armies of exactly the same units against each other, right down to the same prestige, legitimacy, and power projection.

Set up 2 custom nations next to each other somewhere remote, so other people can't interfere and they don't have traditions/ideas which increase army strength. Use console commands to switch tags so you can play both and set up the armies.

Once you're at war, pause and the save the game one day before the armies meet each other and make sure it doesn't happen on a monthly tick. Edit the savegame so both nations have the same prestige, legimitacy, ect.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: September 09, 2015, 02:33:28 pm »

Everyone in this thread is salty AF. 'wah wah I can't instantly press a button and win' 'wah wah I missed something or misplanned, it must be the game and the cheating AI'

Jesus christ, get a grip. One of the tooltips in the loading screen is "It's ok to lose land in a war, you can always take it back later." Or you want to declare on your neighbor but he's allied to France/Prussia/PLC/Austira and you're a OPM? I wonder why you're losing! Stop whining if you can't handle the game as France, at that point, you not winning is YOUR FAULT. Period. You keep complaining about the effects of your decisions, but you can't see that the decisions you make are bad.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: September 09, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »

"erryone be salty"

proceeds to be salty

i don't even play this game anymore preferring to eu3 instead and this is around where y'all should ask for a threadlock

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 09, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »

But then they'd complain about eu4 in the ckii thread instead whenever the next big thing happens.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 09, 2015, 02:57:49 pm »

i don't even play this game anymore preferring to eu3 instead and this is around where y'all should ask for a threadlock

So you don't have anything relevant to say. Thanks.

"erryone be salty"

proceeds to be salty

This is where we proceed to be civil or ignore him. If neither happens, then we go and ask for a thread lock. As it stands, I think I'll take the latter route.
I'm just annoyed at the endless whining. For fucks sake, it's a game.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 09, 2015, 03:45:45 pm »

You didn't actually read his post, it seems. He said that when he played as France, the results were cardinally different compared to when AI played as France.

The only difference here is France being controlled by the player vs France being controlled by AI. And this means that AI is treated differently by the game than the player.

The player doesn't get the lucky nation bonus, which is why you'll see more AE playing as France than the AI gets (25% less).

I wouldn't recommend going through the work to set this up, since the only modifier that affects combat that isn't visible directly from the battle screen is combat ability (and that is a rather minor stat). You can see exactly how prestige, army tradition, and power projection affect morale by mousing over it, in addition to all the other bonuses. Keep in mind that if there are multiple nations on one side of the battle, it'll list some bonuses separately (which is rather confusing) even though they are on an individual unit basis.

Morale damage done is based off of maximum morale, whereas unit damage is increased by discipline and combat ability (as well as dice rolls, unit pips, and leader values). If you have less maximum morale than the person you're fighting, you must have some combination of better composition/numbers or unit damage to win, period.

Since morale is so important early game, the big things to look out for to avoid being caught off guard and losing battles are national ideas, religion, and defensive ideas. Muslims can get up to 10% from piety, and Shia, Vajrayana, and Shinto get +10% as well. Defensive ideas give +15% and loads of army tradition (typically enough for around 5-10% more, this is true of offensive as well), and defensive and offensive both have events that give +15% as well ("relentless drill" and "full elan", very horrible to see). National ideas can be easily checked by mousing over the light bulb on both the province and diplomatic windows, but ones to remember that get morale early are Castile, France, Brandenbarf/Prussia, Persia, and Austria. Other surprises are morale advisors for +10%, or if you're really unlucky, an additional +10% from the level 3 morale advisor event.

Generally the player with a better composition, better planning/positioning, and the morale advisor can overcome even Prussian nonsense (well, maybe not the Prussians) without needing military bonuses or even a general. If you're losing battles unexpectedly due to their total morale being higher, these are the things to look out for. Later on in the game cannons and discipline become more important than morale, but fighting with a morale disadvantage will always be difficult. If you don't want to have to care about any of this, just take defensive ideas and you'll win most early fights without much care needed.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 09, 2015, 04:00:59 pm »

I was playing a nation in HRE, and took one province. And got an entire coalition against me.

The AI took massive amounts of territory within the HRE (it was an HRE member too) and got not a single coalition (edit: btw, it was a small 2 state nation like me, it had lost one province during one war, used to be 3 state nation. Why did he not get any coalition at all from massive territory within HRE? And it happened to me from one single province, that wasn't a one city state, and province just came from a bigger nation like the AI did?)

Lucky nations is always off

I thought it was really BS lol.

Game is still fun though, but the AI DOES cheat heavily.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:15:38 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 09, 2015, 08:56:38 pm »

Were they on the same patch?

Was the land the AI took in Bohemia or Italy? Same culture-group increases the AE penalty. Was the AI taking land from a nation larger than it? Absolute size doesn't matter- you get an AE penalty for taking land from a nation smaller than you, and less for taking it from a larger nation. Did the AI take idea groups that reduce AE? Did they have alliances with major powers? Allies get virtually zero AE. Was the province you took very rich, like Milan or Vienna? AE is based on province value, not number. The AI cheats on things, but AE isn't one of them unless you're playing with the difficulty on hard.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 09, 2015, 09:02:11 pm »

Were they on the same patch?

Was the land the AI took in Bohemia or Italy? Same culture-group increases the AE penalty. Was the AI taking land from a nation larger than it? Absolute size doesn't matter- you get an AE penalty for taking land from a nation smaller than you, and less for taking it from a larger nation. Did the AI take idea groups that reduce AE? Did they have alliances with major powers? Allies get virtually zero AE. Was the province you took very rich, like Milan or Vienna? AE is based on province value, not number. The AI cheats on things, but AE isn't one of them unless you're playing with the difficulty on hard.

Ah that could have been it, the other guy had an alliance with both england and france (dunno how, but okay lol)...and he took mostly low cost ones now that I look at the map. He took 4 cheap provinces.

I opted for the richer provinces, and I actually took a coastal province to so I wouldn't be landlocked. I took 3 expensive provinces, and the coastal one was most developed.

I'll need to keep a better eye on that then. I didn't even pay attention to any of that, had to boot up the game and check. Guess that explains it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:42:15 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 10, 2015, 02:19:39 am »

Started a game as Burgundy for my first time. Unsure how to go about things, I broke off half my country as vassals and joined the HRE. Currently in the process of reintegrating. It's really wrecking my Dip points. On the bright side, I'll be one of the largest nations in the HRE by the time it's done.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 12, 2015, 12:15:46 am »

That's an interesting strategy for getting into the HRE, I haven't thought of it.

Also,

Spoiler: Yeah, thanks (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 216