Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451490 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2220 on: October 29, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »

Dev Diary. Nothing really major here.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: October 29, 2015, 04:22:28 pm »

build armies and navies in subject countries

The old trick I used in my Majapahit WC of migrating to Africa and westernizing by 1520 may just be possible again. Still have to deal with the horrible Indian ocean, though, but I bet it can be done by 1540.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: October 29, 2015, 05:45:21 pm »

build armies and navies in subject countries

The old trick I used in my Majapahit WC of migrating to Africa and westernizing by 1520 may just be possible again. Still have to deal with the horrible Indian ocean, though, but I bet it can be done by 1540.
AND the fact you cannot westernise off of trade companies. Gonna have to send a colonist to America or something.
The european nations (Portugal in particular) often colonise/conquer inland provinces, which cannot be added to trade companies. You can always use those, as well as maybe abusing protectorates to keep them from attacking you.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: October 29, 2015, 05:47:25 pm »

Funny thing is I think it would've been slower to westernize off a colony (this was 1.9 I think, it may have been disabled by then anyway). The trick was to explore the coast of Somalia with a suicide barque, no-CB vassalize a minor to get a core, go on a rampage while the cores are cheap, and then sell off the Asian provinces to a vassal being annexed until you're down to your capital and can move to Africa. When I westernized I did it by building a cog in the Mediterranean and sniping a province off Naples, while Aragon was getting wrecked (they pretty much always get wrecked, you just have to beat the inevitable disgusting Iberian wedding).

I think the only way to do this again in this version would be to play without El Dorito (so you have old exploration mechanics), no-CB into two adjacent vassals so you can integrate one off the other, and then push onward. That'd save 3 or 4 colonies worth of time in the Indian Ocean, but would also tack on 10+ years for the integration. But if you could also vassalize the Mamluks (might need a truce break, but I bet you can avoid getting coalitioned), you could easily build a proper navy in the Mediterranean. If by then you've moved your capital you could core a province on the coast off the Mamluks, and then annex Rome or one of the Italian minors that now leaves the HRE. I think it'd still be significantly slower, but could be worth it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2224 on: November 02, 2015, 08:05:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After a century of conniving, warring and diplomacy, the Anglosaxon invaders of Essex ruled over the entirety of the British Isles and began looking to the continent to secure wealth from the remains of the Roman Empire. After having converted all of the druidic pagans to germanic paganism the Christians arrived in Anglosaxon Holland and from there everything went full Chalcedonist, essentially making much of the Germanic efforts pointless. With the conversion to the Christian faith however, the political allegiances of Europe quickly changed. The Germanic Angles and Christian Anglosaxons remained stalwart allies despite the fricative faiths (largely in part because of the greater northern Norse threat), and the pagans who fought Chalcedonists became Arian Christians, and the pagans who fought Arian Christians became Chalcedonist Christians.
Having secured the British Isles completely, the Anglosaxons were quite bored, looking for people to pick fights with. So they began picking on old rivals, with the Germanics of the Netherlands finding out firsthand that their Essex rivals were considerably more powerful than they last remembered. The Anglosaxons planned on taking over the entirety of the Frisian coast, and after destroying the Soisson, Dutch and Norse navies one after the other the north sea easily belonged to England. Conquering and holding onto those provinces would be considerably more difficult, as the British Isles simply could not replace its dead men with the same ease it did for its ships.
Allies helped. Purple = Allies, Green = less than friendly neighbours and turquoise = Everytone else. With the Vandals, Angles, Burgundians and the juggernaut of the Byzantine Empire amongst England's friends, on the sea England had no hostile competitor and on the mainland all enemies had an English ally poised at their backs.

King Philip Aetheldring also had a neat trick up his sleeve. His predecessors had conquered the isles with swift ease by granting autonomy to disgruntled druids, by creating Germanic vassal states that were in turn annexed over time - and also by abusing Welsh immense hatred of their druid neighbours to decisively turn the coalition against the Anglosaxons in the Anglosaxons' favour. In the European continent however, the same strategy would be insufficient. Endlessly warring with powerful barbarian Kingdoms and insurrections would quickly drain England's resources and undo much of her progress into the Frisian coast. The plan then was to create a vassal state to sort out with local insurrections and to rule over the continent in England's stead. What better mandate for this altruistic conquering than that of the Roman Empire?
Granted, the Western Roman Empire was now nothing more than a single province on the French coast, whose Emperor was as respected as some minor dukes, whose  Emperor answered to King Philip Aetheldring. The important thing though, was that once the Gauls were once again subjugated, the English would be able to count on a Roman juggernaut as a European attack dog of Cerberic calamity. Given the possibility of marriages resulting in personal unions with Philip's allies, the entire Roman Empire itself could be rebuilt in time. With the Romans administering as Romans do, the Anglosaxons could be left to the practices of trade and killing things!

Oh, and Tokyo has been confirmed as real before the end of the 6th century.
And the Abbasid Caliphate is wedged precariously between the Byzantine and Sassanid Empires. I wonder what is more confusing, the fact that the Caliphate is the leader of the Islamic world when Islam does not exist yet, or that the Abbasid Caliphate's official state religion is Chalcedonist Christianity.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: November 02, 2015, 08:39:40 pm »

You can westernize if you own a province that also has a core of a country that has the western tech group, so you might have a shot at taking a province from a trade company.

If anything westernization in EU4 is too easy.  It was better in EU3, when it needed to be done in steps.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2226 on: November 03, 2015, 04:47:01 am »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: November 03, 2015, 08:25:34 am »

What mod is that?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: November 03, 2015, 08:28:02 am »

What mod is that?
Pretty sure its Extended Timeline.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2229 on: November 03, 2015, 02:09:16 pm »

What mod is that?
Pretty sure its Extended Timeline.
Yup

It's hilarious fun playing modern nations with EU4

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: November 03, 2015, 04:55:54 pm »

How did ISIS, Israel, Palestine, and the Saudis end up on the same side in a war against Syria?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: November 03, 2015, 05:47:27 pm »

How did ISIS, Israel, Palestine, and the Saudis end up on the same side in a war against Syria?
Yeah, you'd think they'd all have separate wars against Syria. But it did say it was 2017, so maybe they all allied each other (and since Palestine is in there, that's probably what happened, unless Palestine is considered an Israeli vassal or something).
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: November 03, 2015, 06:09:11 pm »

Does the red flag means the country is not a co-belligerent or vassal (since I forgot)? Because if it's vassals, I guess that explains it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2233 on: November 03, 2015, 06:28:35 pm »

Red flag just means that country is an ally of the alliance leader, vassals don't get flags. Israel, Palestine and Saudi Arabia all had Syria as a common rival. Palestine allied with ISIS when it popped up whilst Saudis and Israelis were funding them, making them allies when they finished their rebellion phase. When the Syrian gov tried retaking the conquered lands the very unusual alliance sprung up where all four really, really, really didn't like Syria.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: November 03, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »

ISIS funded by Israel
I fucking love Extended Timeline.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 216