Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 449735 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2310 on: December 03, 2015, 11:24:44 am »

How was anyone's experience with the CK2>EUIV save converter? Do dynasties transfer over, do nation names affect national ideas, et cetera? A CK2 game of mine and a few friends is on it's last few years and we were going to see how well the converter carries over things such as tribes and reformed paganism.
It's alright. Dynasties transfer (and the game recognizes all rulers of it as the same dynasty), cultures transfer, religion transfers. Getting the right NIs is a bit poorly implemented - most big nations will get their NIs (but only with the right name - 'Suomi', the name of Finland when ruled by Finns, will just get generic ideas instead of Finland's), sometimes the culture of the ruler/nation grants the ideas of the culture, sometimes it just gives generic ideas even if it seems it should give tag-specific ones.

Tribes will probably give you some kind of tribal government, not sure, and reformed religions transfer over fine, with unique bonuses. Tech groups depend on the spread of tech in CK2, I think - expect to see Muslim and Eastern tech for nations/places you're used to being Western.
Oh and unless you want to do some province changing and a bit of editing try to stay away from Africa, the Middle East and India. There are a lot more province differences between CK2 and EU4 in those regions than there are in the rest of the map and those regions inevitably become a horrendous mishmash of CK2 and EU4 states.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 03, 2015, 01:40:00 pm »

Got to say, I'm liking the looks of the new random new world. Also, the fantasy nations seem to have unique ideas. Thus far I've seen the Obsidian Empire and Vinland.

There's also a nation that appears to be from Zheng He's fleet that shows up occasionally too.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: December 03, 2015, 05:58:45 pm »

First, two screenshots (one showing default Roman Empire in year 58, and the other is my in-game nation I created using editor)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/Vendayn/EU4%20Extended%20Timelines/TheSeleucidEmpire.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/Vendayn/EU4%20Extended%20Timelines/RomanEmpire.jpg

The very first (as far as I can tell, google, reddit and paradox forms no one has ever made...) the Seleucid empire.

Unless someone else has made the Seleucid empire, but no search says anyone has.

Also, despite my giant empire, I do say it in the spoiler...I start in normal mode, increase unrest by a lot, start a war with rome and parthia (since my alternate history of Seleucid empire makes them at war in the start) and its a hard as heck game. Not so much against rome/parthia (they are challenge too, cause they both have a lot of vassals)...but so many rebels. After I set the initial scenario up, I switch my save to ironman mode.

With that said, its actually easier to start as roman empire in 58 than the way I set the game up :P Roman empire in year 58 is still hard though, tons of rebellions and huge parthia armies attacking. But still, roman empire gets the advantage of a ton of cash/military and land...so its easy in some ways. But its still a really hard game, because historically roman empire did collapse. In this case, Seleucid empire is sort of the roman empire, but even more unrest and more wars. Since they were defeated in history, but in this case the way I set it up, they went to win against romans and take a ton of their land over the next few decades.

long spoiler (that way it doesn't take so long to scroll through the thread)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: December 03, 2015, 06:00:24 pm »

Got Obsidian Empire in my multiplayer game as well. I found myself uncontrollably excited at the prospect of exploring unknown land, so much that I extended the session 2h longer than we planned to play it originally :D Playing Irish exodus with a custom nation is grand, only problem is I'm 20 colonial range off the closest province, can't colonize anything other than Cape Verde, no navigators and additional range only comes in 2 diplo techs.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2314 on: December 04, 2015, 05:29:05 am »

I'm still looking for Secret Denmark.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: December 04, 2015, 10:12:14 am »

EDIT: It looks like at least some of the random new world... isn't. There's a few smaller landmasses I've stumbled across that have been identical to other ones.

Yes, the whole thing is now based on premade, handcrafted tiles that are randomly arranged/
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: December 04, 2015, 11:32:16 am »

Yeah, it shouldn't be hard to add more tiles right now. PDS has said they want to expand the number in future patches as well.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: December 04, 2015, 11:33:31 am »

That was part of the point of the new random new world was the tiles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: December 04, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »

Looks like you can get a free cosmetic DLC for the game if you verify your e-mail address for your paradox account. Link to forum post.

I'm having trouble logging in at the moment so I haven't been able to get mine yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2319 on: December 04, 2015, 01:51:35 pm »

Funilly enough you get the DLC even if you don't have EUIV.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: December 04, 2015, 03:24:36 pm »

Their website seems to be horribly broken at the moment. I can't access the bug report forum because the site seems to have forgotten that I own the game and I can't even access my profile to add the game to my account.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: December 04, 2015, 04:26:03 pm »

Including the corpse of the Leviathan.
This really annoys me considering how they named the expansion "The Cossacks" instead of the infinitely superior "The Leviathan".

Also it seems development is still hardlocked to only MP, even after every single major mod had to completely remove the vanilla system and make their own. Sorry Paradox but a leaderboard and victory points are not going to bring me back to your game.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 04, 2015, 04:45:44 pm »

Also it seems development is still hardlocked to only MP
I have no clue what you mean by this. The only thing I can think of it meaning is 'you can only use development in MP'
He means that you can only spend Monarch Points (MP) on improving development instead of spending money or something else. He's been complaining about it since Common Sense came out.
Sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2323 on: December 04, 2015, 05:10:58 pm »

Having development tied to wealth rather than MP would be a big improvement IMO.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: December 04, 2015, 05:58:23 pm »

Also it seems development is still hardlocked to only MP, even after every single major mod had to completely remove the vanilla system and make their own.

I haven't seen the long game spin out yet, but I think vanilla may be almost tolerable with some of the changes. Since core costs are now capped at 30 development (and there's a new modifier that encourages the AI to develop the capital more), having Europe be a high development hellscape shouldn't be as bad late game. Overextension may not be capped though, I haven't checked, and I'm not overly optimistic about 5% dev cost in capital per 100 total development changing things much. With OPMs it'll definitely still be a loony nightmare of 40 development metropolises built on arctic swamps (unless they changed the AI), and that'll need some modding (easiest way would be adding a triggered modifier with the condition of being an OPM that's not a free city increasing development cost massively, but that leaves out 2PMs, 3PMs, etc).

It's disappointing that paradox seems oblivious to AI development being bananas, but all things said, being able to play ironman with mods makes me pretty much stop caring about whatever they do to vanilla. I used to play vanilla to avoid the temptation of using the console and savescumming, but now there's no reason at all to.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 216